IGNORED

Lantronix Hook Up

budz2355

I know there are several threads on this already so hopefully this isn't too redundant...

I am looking at the lantronix to rsr232 serial port 25 pin map. The part that is confusing to me is why is pin 7 on one end mapped to pin 7 on the other end? By this logic shouldn't all the pins that are the same be listed? ex: pin 1 to pin 1?

I am sure there is something I am missing? I just wanted to know why this is listed, I thought just the pins that are mismatched would be listed, for example pin 2 to pin 3.

Also since I have never done this before: I take the blue wire and but it in pin 2, then on the other end the same blue wire goes to pin 3?

Below is what I believe to be the correct pin mapping? Also if green wire on pin 5 goes to pin 4 on the UDS10, does then pin 5 on the UDS go to pin 4 on the TI?

If someone to dumb this down even further for me that would be greatly appreciated.

TI UDS10

2 <----------------------------- 3

3 ------------------------------> 2

5 -------------------------------> 4

7 -------------------------------- 7

20 <------------------------------- 5

• Like 1

a typical 25 pin connector has the ability to have 2 devices hooked into it, plus it has a lot of control lines for terminals and printers that are not needed for this type of communication, at a bare minimum you will need rx tx and ground + a couple more if you want handshaking and whatnot (which you probably do on a vintage machine, if it supports it)

Edited by Osgeld

Does anyone have a link to the fast term manual? I think I have all the hardware hooked up correctly, but unfortunately I do not have a working copy of telco. Would a terminal emulator cartridge work? I have fast term on a diskette, but I don't know what to do to.

Does anyone have a link to the fast term manual? I think I have all the hardware hooked up correctly, but unfortunately I do not have a working copy of telco. Would a terminal emulator cartridge work? I have fast term on a diskette, but I don't know what to do to.

I don't use Telco anymore, but I think I still have a good copy somewhere I can send you. What format do you like the DSK image in?

To 'dial' Heatwave BBS type in: atdt68.109.180.48,9640

Your parameters should be N81 with 2400 baud as a good speed to start testing with.

• Like 1

I don't use Telco anymore, but I think I still have a good copy somewhere I can send you. What format do you like the DSK image in?

Your parameters should be N81 with 2400 baud as a good speed to start testing with.

Err could you back up? :)

Okay I load fast term in XB and it asks me to enter a file name. This is the point I am stuck at :) sorry

Edited by budz2355

Sorry budz, I cannot help you with Fast Term as I've never used it.

What program do you use?

The strange thing with fast term is it just won't let me type ANYTHING. I use some of the function keys that have presets, but none of the keys will type anything at all on the screen. There is a function to load default settings from a file called DEFAULT, but my disk has a file called DEFAULTBAS. When I load this at the beginning of the program it makes a chime like something happened, but then I get to the screen of nothing again...

There is also an option at the beginning to run auto-dial, but the same thing basically happens. I enter a file name and nothing happens and no keys do anything. Arg.

Strangely enough I cannot seem to get this program to run from DM2K even though it autoloads in XB. I have never encountered this before, perhaps the diskette is bad?

What program do you use?

The strange thing with fast term is it just won't let me type ANYTHING. I use some of the function keys that have presets, but none of the keys will type anything at all on the screen. There is a function to load default settings from a file called DEFAULT, but my disk has a file called DEFAULTBAS. When I load this at the beginning of the program it makes a chime like something happened, but then I get to the screen of nothing again...

There is also an option at the beginning to run auto-dial, but the same thing basically happens. I enter a file name and nothing happens and no keys do anything. Arg.

Strangely enough I cannot seem to get this program to run from DM2K even though it autoloads in XB. I have never encountered this before, perhaps the diskette is bad?

Actually, I'm not at liberty to disclose what program I'm using at the moment. :_( Sorry.

Not being able to load through DM2K is common. I had the same problem with Telco when I ran it.

Now never having messed with Fast Term, I simple could not tell you where to start, but if I were going to play with it, I'd make sure the correct RS-232 port was set properly, and I had the baud rate, and the other parameters set correctly.

The offer is still open on a working copy of Telco... Let me know, I'll be back online in a few hours.

You can get a PDF of the Telco documentation << HERE >>

Sorry budz, I cannot help you with Fast Term as I've never used it.

@schmitzi - The files at your site are under lock & key.

Hi Omega,

seems to depend on the browser.

But you can copy and paste the credentials from inside my link:

ftp://u67140205-atariage:TeXasTI994A@toxic-instruments.com/_PROGS.bak/Telecomm/

means,

the user is u67140205-atariage

and the password is TeXasTI994A

host is toxic-instruments.com

path is /_PROGS.bak/Telecomm/

Ralf

/Edit for trying to remove the links from the copied text. no gain. AA-edit - hard work - struggles it all totally

sorry, but I just want to write here some text, not to program html-code :(

Edited by schmitzi

The offer is still open on a working copy of Telco... Let me know, I'll be back online in a few hours.

Sold. I can't figure it out. The disk checks out fine in DM 2.1, I just can't load the dumb thing from EA or XB, .LOAD or .TELCO or DSK2 or any combination thereof. Want me to just PM you my address and PPF&F a couple bucks?

P.S. Every time I touch my TI my daughter wants to play Early Learning Fun for like an hour....she is 3 and just goes BONKERS for that game. Two generations of nerds playing the same cartridge.... Anyway, it kind of impedes my progress in testing anything :\

• Like 1

Sold. I can't figure it out. The disk checks out fine in DM 2.1, I just can't load the dumb thing from EA or XB, .LOAD or .TELCO or DSK2 or any combination thereof. Want me to just PM you my address and PPF&F a couple bucks?

Okay, here's the program in the ZIP attachment below. I don't know what format you use so I loaded up Ti99Dir and put them on a SSSD (90K) disk image.

Hopefully you can download this and use it, otherwise the only physical format I could send it to you on is a 3.5" diskette. If you use 5.25's, maybe someone else can download this for you if needed.

I'm curious, were you trying to use the copy of Mass Transfer 4.3 on the XB2.7 disk? I wanted to check it out at one point, but it can only be set for ports 1 or 2 so it's useless to me as I have to using port 3.

P.S. - Change the modem port back to whatever you use, I forgot and left it on 3.

Also... I if you press 'FCTN M' and then press 'C', it'll automatically try to connect with Heatwave.

Good luck!

TELCO.zip

Edited by --- Ω ---

unfortunately I cannot use any of that :\

....but I am SOOO close.

Apparently I need a make a file called DIALMENU and put the characters in it to 'dial' a BBS. I have problems though:

1.) I have no idea how to make a text file at all, or save it.

2.) I don't even really know how to READ a file correctly, this was done with DM2K and it cuts off the characters on the right.

With this screen shot is anyone able to help me please?

Fast Term

Am I doing something fundamentally incorrect? Which program is this supposed to be typed into? Is this done on the PC or the TI?

Okay, here's the program in the ZIP attachment below. I don't know what format you use so I loaded up Ti99Dir and put them on a SSSD (90K) disk image.

Hopefully you can download this and use it, otherwise the only physical format I could send it to you on is a 3.5" diskette. If you use 5.25's, maybe someone else can download this for you if needed.

I'm curious, were you trying to use the copy of Mass Transfer 4.3 on the XB2.7 disk? I wanted to check it out at one point, but it can only be set for ports 1 or 2 so it's useless to me as I have to using port 3.

P.S. - Change the modem port back to whatever you use, I forgot and left it on 3.

Also... I if you press 'FCTN M' and then press 'C', it'll automatically try to connect with Heatwave.

Good luck!

I apologize for the triplicate response. Since my TI is connected to my network (the lantronix shows up when I run Belarc Advisor listed in your tutorial) .... is there a way for me to transfer files to my TI? I do have MFM....

Also I should answer your question: no I was not trying to use mass transfer 4.3, I am not really sure what this does.

Am I doing something fundamentally incorrect? Which program is this supposed to be typed into? Is this done on the PC or the TI?

Okay let's take this one step at a time...

1) If you were able to connect to your UDS-10 from the PC and enter the correct settings that is the last you'll need to use your PC (for now).

2) The dialing menus in programs like Telco DO NOT WORK for Lantronix UDS-10 usage as they are unable to dial IP numbers.

So where does this leave you? GO STRAIGHT INTO TERMINAL MODE... ON THE TI

Type: atz

IF it comes back with 'OK' you're ready for the next step...

TYPE: atdt68.109.180.48,9640

What that does is 'dials' the IP from terminal mode.

If it comes back with BUSY try again in a minute or so.

If it come back with CONNECTED, enjoy the ride! :)

I apologize for the triplicate response. Since my TI is connected to my network (the lantronix shows up when I run Belarc Advisor listed in your tutorial) .... is there a way for me to transfer files to my TI? I do have MFM....

Also I should answer your question: no I was not trying to use mass transfer 4.3, I am not really sure what this does.

Yes, assuming you have a comm program setup on your PC, you would dial your TI's IP# from the PC, once connected go into HALF DUPLEX (so you can see what you type), and use one of the transfer protocols like Xmodem to initiate a transfer, the go over to the TI and DOWNLOAD the file using the same protocol.

Yes, assuming you have a comm program setup on your PC, you would dial your TI's IP# from the PC, once connected go into HALF DUPLEX (so you can see what you type), and use one of the transfer protocols like Xmodem to initiate a transfer, the go over to the TI and DOWNLOAD the file using the same protocol.

Believe it or not.... I actually got them to connect and transfer a file. Do I just download the whole TELCO.DSK file? Is there something I need to do to this file (rename it, unzip it, blah blah) to get it to run on the TI?

Believe it or not.... I actually got them to connect and transfer a file. Do I just download the whole TELCO.DSK file? Is there something I need to do to this file (rename it, unzip it, blah blah) to get it to run on the TI?

Crud! Okay, before we go any further I need to ask you some basic questions.

1) Do you have XB2.7S or a copy of Archiver 4.04g?

2) Do you have more than one disk drive? Is so how much can you get on each one?

3) Do you have Classic 99?

I got stupid and did not consider your configuration or hardware when I sent you that zip file. Sorry.

Now there are other ways of doing it, like in Classic99, but the PC would change some of the characters of some of the file names used in Telco, then your copies files would have to be renamed after sending them, to the TI.

Another option, since you now know how to connect with your terminal program. would be to dial Heatwave instead of your computer and download it from there.

I'll be home later this evening so let me know wish route you want to go, or maybe someone else will step in before I get back.

As someone else might say...

SUCCESS!!!!!

Games

After much messing around with fast term, I finally realized I needed to change the speed to 4800 (CTR-1) to match the lantronix speed. This made duplex function apparently so I could see what I was typing.

After this I turned parity to OFF.

typed in atz and I accidentally entered monitor mode on the lantronix so I was getting 9> in return. After exiting this mode QU I went back to the terminal, entered atdt192.168.1.1 and got no carrier. I then tried the atdt68.109.180.48,9640 and HOLY CRAP IT WORKED!!!!

I just got done playing some games on the heatwave.... how awesome! Connect to a BBS with wifi on a ti-99/4a ....whoda thunk it?

Anyway, fast term seems to have some issue with the graphics because the menus with boxes around them display all crazy. Maybe I need to change some settings on the BBS itself? Fast term also seems to cut off the end of the screen and wrap it around at a not normal spot because playing some of the games the text wrapped oddly.

Also... Rogers Hornsby, Todd Helton, Nolan Ryan, Michael Cuddyer and Babe Ruth all in one baseball game..... well done Owen.

So....maybe I can try to download TELCO from Heatwave? Are there other BBS' I can telnet to? ....Or on to the next adventure??? (most likely the f18a)

• Like 2