IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 8 Round 6 Tempest

zylon

Our game for the first time ever is Tempest. Play on whatever level select settings you want from 1 to 9 for starting and let's break this new one in finally. Custom controls allowed and emulate if you can. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSc wins and records.

Round ends Sunday may 10th 2015 @9pm EST

Final scores:

93,634 atariron82 +11

78,542 Bemis +10

76,749 sdamon +9

70,347 voodoo_chilly +8

11,260 zylon +7

Edited by zylon

I can't seem to find a working ROM of this. Everything I have is dated 1983 and does not appear to function correctly. They are marked "proto" and appear to be permanently stuck in "demo" mode. You can play, but you never lose a life. I saw a video on YouTube where the title screen is dated 1984. Is this available anywhere?

I do not believe this one was released as a ROM yet. It is available from the AA store(where I got mine), though a bit pricey for some players.

I never excluded this one from use as it can be bought, while I did exclude Gauntlet as very few were sold in small release.

Edited by zylon

Tempest 70,347

17114666658_93ed659dc0_m.jpg

I assume "default" means you can start on Level 1 through 9 only - and no repeats at higher levels than level 9 for higher bonus.

I will have to look into this further. I have not made it far enough to see any difference yet.

Ah, too bad...I will have to sit this one out then as I play on an emulator.

I do not believe this one was released as a ROM yet. It is available from the AA store(where I got mine), though a bit pricey for some players.

I never excluded this one from use as it can be bought, while I did exclude Gauntlet as very few were sold in small release.

76,749 - starting at level 9

post-2092-0-75202900-1430620909_thumb.jpg

IMHO, starting at level 9 should be the requirement for this HSC... Starting at earlier waves is boring and denies the bonus points necessary to compete with players starting at 9. And starting higher is kind of unfair... It just rewards the excessively stubborn player who just leapfrogs into ever-higher bonus waves.

• Like 1

76,749 - starting at level 9

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

IMHO, starting at level 9 should be the requirement for this HSC... Starting at earlier waves is boring and denies the bonus points necessary to compete with players starting at 9. And starting higher is kind of unfair... It just rewards the excessively stubborn player who just leapfrogs into ever-higher bonus waves.

Considering that, then it would seem that playing any level setting you want would be best choice and the player go with whichever brings highest scores for them.

Considering that, then it would seem that playing any level setting you want would be best choice and the player go with whichever brings highest scores for them.

I'd agree anything between 1-9 is fine. But starting at levels higher than 9, which are unlocked by reaching higher levels, will seriously skew the scoring.

I'd agree anything between 1-9 is fine. But starting at levels higher than 9, which are unlocked by reaching higher levels, will seriously skew the scoring.

very well then and i'll edit top to reflect this. I'll be playing tonight as I don't have anything decent to post yet.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Hope more folks start joining in soon!

Been playing this with both the trackball and a joystick (Wico for me, but I'm sure the CX-52 performs similarly.) The trackball seems to provide more precision, but at the cost of speed. As speed allows you to avoid getting hit as often, it seems to me that the joystick is the better way to go. I'll be curious to see what other players think is the superior controller for this game.

C'MON PEOPLE...Get your Trakballs out! :)

I think it might be the way to go with this one. It feels pretty close to arcade perfect..maybe even better control than the original 'spinner' in the upright.

Starting at level 9:

post-21471-0-44673600-1431135485_thumb.jpg

Going to see if I can break 100K...

11,260 starting at 1.

best i can get with some uninspired play in a game I'm not too talented in. I got laid off with about half my factory this week so not at the best. The reasons involved explain the crazy hours I had all winter, but will now be able to get some serious play in starting this next round. :)

Would love to see a 5200 or A8 port of Black Widow someday.

post-25215-0-78757600-1431303322_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

Sorry to hear about your bad week zylon, hope things improve.

Just bought cart from AA about a month ago. I agree with the decision to limit the top starting level to level 9.

78,542 starting @ level 9. Used stock controller as my trackball needs a new motherboard. The toughest part of the game may be my set up. I have an a/v modded 5200 and the screen got darker every time I moved beyond the selection screen. Very hard to see the asterisk bombs. On the flip side, because the stock controller makes it hard to get an accurate touch for the spot you want to hit on the screen, I discovered I was able to make it through "circular" levels ( such as 12) by spinning very fast constantly in one direction and constantly firing - and then praying I could find a tube without a long a spike.

post-27672-0-16361400-1431305356_thumb.jpg

And the round and HSC record goes to atariron82 for his inspired efforts in this new game. :thumbsup: Thanks to all who managed to get in on this one and we will go back to some more common fare in round 7, which has already begun. :) I am pleased to see that at least 5 of our players have acquired this game instead of just collectors hogging them. Hopefully more will have it next time it comes up.

Final scores:

93,634 atariron82 +11
78,542 Bemis +10
76,749 sdamon +9
70,347 voodoo_chilly +8
11,260 zylon +7
Edited by zylon

If sneaking in scores is allowed... 85,701

post-2092-0-60266000-1431307818_thumb.jpg

Took Atariron82's advice and gave the trackball another try. He's right... It is the better way to go.

Zylon, so sorry to hear about the job. Best of luck in your new job search!

Don't worry about it... bemis is quite welcome to the #2 slot. :-)

Ok then. still a good score. :)

I've added a "special round" to the poll choices as I will have the time to run it. if it wins, I will post "tested ROM's" for the sequels.

As for the job, the writing on the wall was there since November last year. I started preparing then and rode it to the end. I can always get another and will. :)

I must say it is a little discouraging to be told by employers twice in 5 years that I am too old and expensive for them. That is their opinion and are entitled to it.

Edited by zylon

This game is Fast paced and Hard...but Fun. It may be luck slightly more than strategy that gets you to the next higher level. It's so chaotic I feel like I'm on borrowed time on any level past 15!

I'm really glad this finally got finished and released. I haven't seen the Arcade cab in well over 25 years :)