IGNORED

HSC12 Round 7: Sheer Balloonacy

I think [... only collecting the dollar signs on level one] could be a legitimate tactic, albeit a tedious one!

I noticed that "stategy" right away. The trouble is, is would take a very long time and it would be quite boring. If this thrills anyone, then go for it. However, if you're playing these games to have fun, then why bother? Maybe there is a limit to how many dollar signs will appear before they stop appearing until the next level.

I noticed that "stategy" right away. The trouble is, is would take a very long time and it would be quite boring. If this thrills anyone, then go for it. However, if you're playing these games to have fun, then why bother? Maybe there is a limit to how many dollar signs will appear before they stop appearing until the next level.

worth checking out to see if the programmer has accounted for this - some games like Tapper have flawed scoring but we can play for level reached. CCJ is very good indeed. Perhaps the risk of losing a life collecting the $ is outweighed by the level bonus potential. I didn't realise it was an Analog Mag game - you guys had some much better magazine games than we did in the UK. I'll have to take a look at the source code in the not too distant future (assuming it will load into my MAC/65 cart) . Nice info ballyalley; I'll add a link to the first post - and yes that must be worth 2 bonus HSC points :thumbsup:

p.s. wlll probably extend this round a couple of days as there's plenty of play left and might give Tickled_Pink time to get his Atari up and running ;)

I didn't realise it was an Analog Mag game.

I figured that "Crazy Clown Jumper" was a type-in game. It looks too smooth for BASIC, so I wanted to check out the listing. It's all data statements, which I expected. I was hoping that the magazine (or disk) would have the source code, and I was glad that the source code is available. In the early 80s it would have been printed too, but by the late 80s magazine overall page-count was quite small and page space too previous to "waste" on things like that. It was the AtariMania site that pointed me to the right magazine and issue. I've actually had most of the ATR disk images Antic and ANALOG magazines on my hard drive since the 90s. I used to have the original magazine too, but I have never played the game until this round. Thanks for choosing it? I suppose if you hadn't have been looking for games with "Balloon" in the title, then maybe none of us would have ever have played this one.

you guys had some much better magazine games than we did in the UK.

I don't have much experience with magazine games from the UK. I'm quite willing to try them out and would love a classic magazine bonus games each round.

I'll have to take a look at the source code in the not too distant future (assuming it will load into my MAC/65 cart) .

The program's source ode file extension is AMA, which I think means "Atari Macro Assembler." The files AMA and LNK files are just plain text files (well, ATASCII text files). These can be easily viewed, printed and saved a as plain ASCII with a Windows program called "ATASCIIview:"

http://www.hanken.co.uk/atascii/index.htm

I moved all of the files to my hard drive and discovered that in order to see the LNK file extension for the link files that I'd have to change my registry in Windows, which is pretty weird. I left the registry alone.

Nice info ballyalley; I'll add a link to the first post - and yes that must be worth 2 bonus HSC points :thumbsup:

Wow, bonus points! It's like I found the easter egg this round that I didn't even know was available. Thanks! Those two points, plus my other points this round, give me a grand total of, um... two points. I need to post my scores tomorrow. I've been keeping track, but not posting any scores because I've been playing most of the games every day. I thought I'd play Pooyan the most, but I've been playing "Balloonacy" and "Crazy Clown Jumper" the most.

Round NOW ends: Thursday 21st May 10AM UK time

this ties in with me having some free time to crunch the final tables and the next round is going to be interesting too ;)

McKong beating one of Scalak's HSC records?!!! It can be done eh? :thumbsup:

So it's point hog away on CCJ guys :-D

I tried $ grabbing on CCJ but it didn't seem worth the risk although after a bunch of goes I did improve to 6,300 and only on level 6. So grab some on the early levels ;)

Players should get a bonus point for grabbing a photo of their score before it scrolls of!!!

Small Improvements on Balloonacy 4,866 and Up Up and Away 1,604

I don't want to talk about my Clowns and Balloons efforts - the paddles are coming out at the weekend :-D

OK. I've finally played them all. Don't know if I'll get a chance to play more before the deadline (long weekend here and it's my turn with my kids :) )

Here's what I've got:

Pooyan: 70,550

Ballonacy: 3,694

Crazy Clown Jumper: 600

Clowns & Balloons (Beginner): 21,780

Clowns & Balloons (Advaned): 29,40

Clowns & Balloons (Expert): 25,930

Up Up and Away: 340

Ducks and Balloons: 95 271

Pinhead 14,420

I just realized what I was doing wrong in D&B, so I might give that a quick go again. That 95 was with pushing the button like once (not realizing I had to hold it in LOL). I did manage to get through a bunch of levels, but you lose points when you touch bad stuff and it's hard to avoid bad stuff when you can't fly properly :)

Pinhead is a game I remember from the 80s but I really like C&B as a new game. Balloonacy was fun too. Pooyan I've never really enjoyed, although I get why it's popular. I swear I used to be better at it :)

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 1

So while watching "Eureka" in TV I thought to finish this round here with the games I didn' posted yet.

But I just played each game 2, maximum 3 times...

sometimes the games are fun, sometimes they are really curious...

Crazy Clown Jumper 2000

To make here scores needs endless times. I think I will never grab this one back to the desk

Duck Arrow 81

really curius game which will end at the archive I am sure.

Pinhead 7620

not too bad games, can make fun, but musn't. I think somewhere in time I will play this one again

Up Up And Away 190

hmm, curious game too in my eyes. not too cool to play, but maybe worht to grab out again somewhen

clowns advanced 17.280

clowns expert 13.520

this one makes still fun and I am sure to play again...

To make an ATR with all games on was a really cool idea this time.

Have a nice weekend

Markus

post-38004-0-61172800-1431863361_thumb.png

post-38004-0-64103900-1431863366_thumb.png

post-38004-0-64005400-1431863371_thumb.png

post-38004-0-32274400-1431863382_thumb.png

post-38004-0-56010000-1431863396_thumb.png

post-38004-0-04872900-1431863402_thumb.png

• Like 1

I've enjoyed playing CCJ, it's simple but adictive once you understand how to play it properly. I think a couple of adjustments could make it better though.

To encourage the player to level up perhaps the $ could be worth more on the higher levels. Say 200 on level 2, 300 on level 3. And possibly the bonus for getting to the next level could also increase with each level? Anyway a good game as it stands, especially for a type in from a magazine

• Like 1

I've enjoyed playing CCJ, it's simple but adictive once you understand how to play it properly. I think a couple of adjustments could make it better though.

I agree that "Crazy Clown Jumper" is an addictive game. Once you get the hang of where to stand on a balloon to make a jump, then you'll be hopping around easily and with precise control. I meant to play CCJ yesterday for just a few minutes, but I ended up playing for an hour or so. It's too bad my score doesn't reflect that: my high score for Crazy Clown Jumper is 3,200 (small increments in score are a big deal for me). Once you hit level three or four, where the platforms move in and out and not just up and down, then you'd better be prepared to know how to easily make some of the long-distance jumps, or else you'll bounce around on the balloons waiting for a sweet spot to open-up... if one ever does.

For a type-in game, CCJ is fantastic; I'm sure that it would have done well as a commercial game from a third-party in the 1981/82 (maybe even 1983) timeframe. I agree that slightly different scoring would improve this game. The neat improvement would be a two-player head-to-head version similar in theme to Imagic's "Quick Step!" on the Atari 2600 and Atari 8-Bit. Maybe this is even possible, as the source-code for the game is available. A two-player game of "Crazy Clown Jumper" where each player can knock-off or freeze the other person on a balloon would at least be a nice option. In a compettive mode I'd be cursing up a storm... and loving it!

For those who haven't played "Quick Step!," then you should give it a go. It was never released on the Atari 8-Bit by itself; "Quick Step!," along with "Laser Gates" and "Wing War," was part of the "Imagic 1-2-3" compilation in 1983:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-comp-imagic-1-2-3_1235.html

Information about the Atari 8-bit version of "Quick Step!" is hard to come by (probably because it was only part of a compilation), but here is a recent video review of "Quick Step!" for the Atari 2600 (which doesn't look nearly as good, but plays the same-- and is just as fun to play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PNBF_LGrfM

Here is a screenshot of "Quick Step!" that I just created in the Altrira emulator:

post-4925-0-50816400-1431959702_thumb.gif

If anyone here has the manual for the "Imagic 1-2-3" compilation, then Atarimania needs a scan. Plus, it would be helpful because "Quick Step!" has a second part that isn't contained in the 2600 game-- and I don't get how to play it!

(Maybe "Quick Step!" could be game in an upcoming round.)

• Like 1