IGNORED

HSC12 Round 9 Poll

FIVE great games  

21 members have voted

1. 1. But you can only pick one!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Poll now Closes Wednesday 10th June 5pm ish UK time

Have I thrown previous poll runner up Nuclear Nick under the Atari bus with this great selection of classic games? Probably!

Pictures link to Fandal for downloads.

Checkout Atarimania for info on the games.

Beam Rider

Great intense shooter, where you can collect extra lives - if only I'd read the instructions last time we played as I was avoiding them thinking they were dangerous :dunce:

beamrider.png

Donkey Kong

Banana anyone? Guess who?

donkey_kong.png

Defender

Time to test out the joysticks?

defender.png

Nuclear Nick XEX

Lodger's favourite! Video. Another classic platformer from Ron Rosen. Nice platformer, not too tricky. Radioactive burger anyone :-D

nuclear_nick.png

Zeppelin

Another great game - explore the caverns collect and shoot stuff. Keys open sections etc.

Gives me an excuse to checkout Fandal's new multijoy* version too as i'm intrigued to see if 4 players have single goes or if the Atari master might have done something clever here?

*the multijoy is a box that supports extra joysticks on the XL/XE. There are a growing number of games that can be played; most of the 4 player ones you know, plus some 8 player some even 16 player! version. Search Fandal's site for M4 and you can see them all.

zeppelin.pngzeppelin_m4.png

This will probably sound naive, but is there a properly fixed version of Zeppelin? The one I remember started at a later level (like 6 or 7 or something), and was prone to crashing. The game was so much fun to play though that I'd keep trying it regardless.

"Beamrider" is my favorite overall 8-bit game. There are 99 levels and I can only get to about level 17 or 18-- but I have fun doing it. I've been playing this one since I bought it for $10 in about 1984 during the American Video Game Crash. If this doesn't win then I'll cry. No one wants to make me cry, do they?

This will probably sound naive, but is there a properly fixed version of Zeppelin? The one I remember started at a later level (like 6 or 7 or something), and was prone to crashing. The game was so much fun to play though that I'd keep trying it regardless.

Good point. I have in my HSC notes "Check versions re XL/800 issues. Too hard for beginners. Long to play for experts"

I'll check the thread from last time we played and if we can identify things perhaps Fandal who has just worked on the multi-joy version of Zeppelin will have some time to fix things. I really can't remember but like you I think it did crash out?

"Beamrider" is my favorite overall 8-bit game. There are 99 levels and I can only get to about level 17 or 18-- but I have fun doing it. I've been playing this one since I bought it for $10 in about 1984 during the American Video Game Crash. If this doesn't win then I'll cry. No one wants to make me cry, do they?

:_( :P

Here is a great review of video review of the Atari 8-Bit version of "Beamrider:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzeEKneYfYA

I tried the "Embed" link that YouTube provides for html, but it doesn't work in this forum editor. How do I embed this "Beamrider" video in a posting as "Road Runner" did (above) with the the Led Zepplin "Wearing and Tearing" video?

Edited by ballyalley
  • Like 1

I did not vote for Beam Rider but after seeing the video I was thinking I maybe should. Anyway, if not in this round, then in the next we will play for sure...or make a longer round and have both games to play, each with full hsc scoring??

Edited by jk40001

I did not vote for Beam Rider but after seeing the video I was thinking I maybe should.

All right! I'm glad the "Beamrider" review video was able to persuade someone to give the game a chance... even if the persons' vote was already cast. Too bad a vote can't be taken back and re-done. I guess votes can't normally be re-done, so I'm not surprised. If "jk40001" had voted for "Zeppelin," and then could re-cast the vote, then it would tie "Beamrider" and "Zeppelin" to 7-7. But you never can call the winner too earyly. It's possible that "Donkey Kong" will make a mad dash from one vote to twenty votes in the last five seconds of a round, just like what happens with auctions on Ebay.

if not in this round, then in the next we will play for sure...or make a longer round and have both games to play, each with full hsc scoring??

Playing two games per round never bothered me, so I'm full-in with that idea. Indeed, I especially like it when a BASIC game with a similar theme to the main game is picked; that's a good idea. So few people (me included) seem to play BASIC games nowadays. It's nice to get some exposure to non-machine language games. It give us all a better understanding of the overall game scene and not just the best games released for a system. That's important, so that when a good game comes along it can be recognized as one, rather than another clone or also-ran.

• Like 1