IGNORED

Worst price you've seen in person- with pics

toiletunes

I stopped into my local game store on Friday evening. This is the same store that was trying to sell a MagiCard online for $3,000. See details and pics in this post. The MagiCard is likely a reproduction. The seller told me via email that he has received an offer for $2,000. :o

This store usually puts less common games in their display cases or half out of view behind the counter. Most things in the display case have a price tag on the bottom so that you have to ask the clerk about the price. They had a loose copy of Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator in the display case. The label was a bit beat up, but I asked about the price as I don't have a copy of this game. $49.95 "No thanks", I say. The clerk comes back with, "It's a rare cross over between Sega and Atari". Sure pal, whatever you say.

I will admit that this store does price less common games quite fairly. I've picked up a few "uncommon" games for $5 to $10 - which to me seems fair for a retail store. They have boxes full of common 2600 and Intellivision carts for $1 or $2. They also price quite fairly for more current games - PS3, XBOX 360, etc..

Edit: I forgot to mention that this store also has a Coleco Telstar console priced at $49.95 and a Vectrex (with no carts) for $299.95.

Edited by awhite2600

I got a local idiot who keeps listing and relisting a dirty, busted up 2600 on CraigsList for $200.

I once went through and X'd them all out so I wouldn't see it, but every now and then it reappears.

He just can't accept it ain't worth that much and should never sell for that much. He's just wasting his time.

I don't throw "idiot" around casually, but whoever is behind that listing truly is one.

• Like 1

Ohh boy time to unload some dirt.

Kangaroo in box for $75.

Solaris in box for $85.

Chuck Norris double-ender for $100 because "It's Chuck Norris,worth the price". No.

And the one that bothered me the most: a thrift store selling the Sears versions of the Atari games for $15 - while the rest were less than $5. The reason? "Well the Sears ones are rare."

Not related to price, but here are some absolutely stupid things I've seen:

Bundling Indy500 with paddle controllers, and then bundling Kaboom! with Driving controllers. Reason? "The Indy game is for two players so that's the controller you use." Not arguing with that.
Separating Omega Race with the required controller attachment, then selling the attachment for more than the game.

Guy deliberately trying to pass off the later joysticks as "authentic" joysticks, claiming that they're "mechanical".

• Like 1

And the one that bothered me the most: a thrift store selling the Sears versions of the Atari games for $15 - while the rest were less than $5. The reason? "Well the Sears ones are rare."

This one is actually true, at least from the Canadian perspective, as Sears brand games and consoles were never sold here.

Since the late-1980s, I have seen exactly one Sears cartridge "in the wild" and one Sears console. (By way of comparison, I have found a few pirate Famicom cartridges and 2 or 3 Japanese PS 2 games at thrift shops...)

Separating Omega Race with the required controller attachment, then selling the attachment for more than the game.

I don't remember ever seeing the controller in the wild, but I do see Omega Race occasionally. It makes me wonder what happened to all the controllers.

It's sort of like seeing loose copies of Colecivision Turbo everywhere, but no driving controller.

The day I basically stopped ever hoping to find even a fair price at the used game stores a couple hours from me was when I saw they were selling Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for NES for $24.95. Granted this is in Canada, but it's before our dollar went to shit. I have no doubt they'll get the money for it, too since it's an AVGN staple from local sap or kid. It was here I realized people can get away with murder for hot titles because someone really is gonna buy 'em because they don't use eBay or are just impatient. They always have the same stand full of loose uber common Atari and Intellivision games and I have to laugh to myself that whatever that stand cost is gonna be more than they'll ever get for those games at those prices. It seems like for these stores to be of any worth, you'd have to go there on a daily basis and pay a premium, so you may as well just use average eBay. I almost wonder if they keep shit like that around just to look like they have actual stock. And half the shit doesn't have prices on it, so they just go to eBay for that part of it and jack it up. These stores are cool, but they're about as useful as tits on a bull for any gamer with half a brain. I only go 3 or so times a year and I can tell you where all the shit is going to be on their walls that they've priced so high no one has bought over the last 5 years.

I don't even mind eBay prices necessarily, but it seems like real retro game stores and thrift stores are the same class these days, they both charge too much and hope for a sucker. There only stores that must be any good must be in places with high populations and lots of competition. Retro stores feel so dirty and shady to me anyways, you know they'd take the rarest game in the world for $5 given the chance. I don't mind that, but at the same time, I wouldn't necessarily feel bad for them if their business dried up because of shit like that. At least eBay is fair to the buyer and seller.

I never go to retro game stores anymore. They're all in some strip mall way out in the 'burbs and I don't want to drive that far to look through the same bins of the same games. I bought a game not too long ago off Game Gavel from a local-ish dealer, did the math and found that what he charged for shipping was actually less than the gas for the 32 mile round trip would have cost me.

Everything...

Everything in this picture... *Sigh*

attachicon.gifcarts.png

That's not the Cashies I remember... Around 2000 when I was buying games, they always had dozens of VCS games, usually at $2 each, box or no box. They seemed a little aware of what was unusual and some of the odder 3rd-party or pirate games would be $5 or $7. If they knew you'd buy a bunch of games they'd even throw in a controller or a few extra freebies...

I don't look in shops anymore. Whenever I spy something retro in a gameshop window I'm always like, "What fresh hell can this be?"

New store in town had 10 on loose commons 35 for a driving controller.... had some hopes about a new place.. turns out it was half game store and half nail Shop run by two ladies.... when she told me the price of the driving controller i rolled my eyes.. she said "what do you have in mind" i said ten bucks.. she walked away.... Seem like every one is trying to cash in now.....

I saw a ratty 2600 JR today for $60!! Those normally go for like $20-$25 in these parts, in mint shape.

They go for $50 at my local shop... but that's with hookups, joystick, paddle controller, and tested in store to make sure you're happy with how everything's working. Cross that with a local thrift store that had a bare one for the same price.

"No sir, the 'mania' is all in your head. That's that's why the game is still sitting here at that price". :lol:

I've bought games from this guy over the past 15 years (a recent 6 year hiatus as we moved out of town,) and he used to have fair prices. Hell, I got Midnight Mutants and Alien Brigade there for $1 each about 7 years ago. Now he uses an app on his phone that scans Ebay and other sites for the average going rate.

Edited by Inky

turns out it was half game store and half nail Shop run by two ladies....

I had to read this 3 times before I understood you were talking about a place to go to get your fingernails done! (hammer and nails?) That is a truly unique combination of services/products.

Also - this thread needs more pics

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a store in the northern part of MA that had a 4 switch woody for $129. Said it was worth that because it was tested and cleaned. I told him that was nice but I had bought mine at a yard sale, covered in rat crap, cleaned it, and it worked fine...for $5. They routinely price games with eBay prices (not the sold listing, but what they're listed for...*sigh) if not higher. They're excuse is that you can return the game if it doesn't work.

Question though. What is up with the $800 price tags on the promotional use only Atari on ebay lately? I doubt they're that rare since there always seems to be at least 2 up for sale. I bought mine CIB for $25.

• Like 1