IGNORED

Boulder Dash ROM will not be released

Rev

We, too, thought that our Atari 2600 Boulder Dash cartridge was extremely well protected by the hardware protection circuitry and encryption included therein, and essentially impossible to dump. I would have put good money on betting that it would NEVER be dumped. Enough said!

So somebody dumped it? Give them a gold star. Bravo!

So somebody dumped it? Give them a gold star. Bravo!

Not what I said. There are no pirated copies of 2600 Boulder Dash being passed around on the dark web.

I was making the point that a claim that a cart can't be dumped because of hardware protection isn't really that believable.

Not what I said. There are no pirated copies of 2600 Boulder Dash being passed around on the dark web.

I was making the point that a claim that a cart can't be dumped because of hardware protection isn't really that believable.

If the 2600 can read it, so can the dumper. Ditto for Intellivision.

...but the "best sellers" entries for each of the "merged" games will not include sales for the "boxed" version of the game. There's nothing I can do about that, unfortunately.

Too bad. I hope you can restore the numbers when you eventually switch to a better store software.

No, I only do graphics.

I don't think the quality of the work is what makes the difference between homebrew and professional work. I honestly don't know what Thomas Jentzsch and Davies do to pay their bills. I just think BD can't be it; as Elektronite said, they are not paid usual professional programmer wages. And that is only natural, you can't afford that for the few units such a game on a legacy platform sells. I believe the two of them are well aware of that too, that is one reason they did it for a relatively small amount. Had the project been a game for EA or some other big company and PS4 the platform, I bet they would not have agreed to do this for little money.

They know it is a niche project, so they accept payment below the standard. And that is because of enthusiasm. Because it is to some degree a hobby.

Now their results are professional grade; no doubt about that. Other homebrews are too; there's quite a lot going beyond what was seen as official releases on their respective platforms. Homebrews can often be the peak a system can reach.

In my book, that does not change a thing about terminology. Professional games can be really, really terrible, and homebrews can reach standards that make them feel like AAA titles. For as long as someone does this on the side, at least partially as a hobby project beside his day job... that's homebrew for me.

The main point here is that homebrew must not be seen as some kind of insult. I absolutely salute the people involved in homebrews on any system, the dedication to spend their time and work so that relatively few can have fun on often obsolete hardware. That's why I like to help with what limited skills I can offer. And it is also great that there are publishers making physical copies of those games possible, and companies with valuable IPs like First Star Software or Cinemaware granting rights for compensation that is affordable in light of low sales. Without homebrew, very few independant games on old systems would be possible. It would not be viable. So yeah, I do think of this kind of game development as homebrewing, but not in a negative way.

108 Stars,

why do you think you're not a homebrewer? Graphics are an integral component; you are part of a team, Mr Anderson :)

Freewheel makes a good point about modern programming tools and GUI environment use; if you're using something besides an editor/assembler and Tron (that's a trace program that you write) you're not retro programming.

You don't have to have been on the scene bitd to do retro programming today - if modern homebrewer developers develop these skills through proper training they can become level 1 retro programmers (there are no retro developers, we didn't have that term) and advance from there.

But even using scripting and a modern step-debugger in an emulator, Adepts like Jentszch and Davies will never be homebrewers.

• Like 1

Who is this "Davies" guy everyone is talking about? For the record, I consider anything I write either out of fun, or as a side project while I do something else to actually put food on the table as "homebrew". I don't have an issue with people who think Boulder Dash isn't homebrew. And I respect people have different opinions and the word means different things to different people. But essentially I consider *everything* written for Atari 2600 and Intellivision today pretty much homebrew to the core. Homebrew is a bit about the programmer, a bit about the motivation, a bit about the platform, a bit about the audience (or lack thereof!), a bit about the community, and a bit about the professionalism or lack thereof of the product. Everyone has the right to call their product "not homebrew", but of course not everybody is going to agree. As I said, I consider them all pretty much homebrew. I don't consider the word an "insult" at all. I grew up when the term "bedroom programmer" was a mark of respect. Anyone who has the drive and passion to produce a homebrew game, be it with Bb or with assembler, has actually *made something*. That deserves respect.

I'll just add an addendum here - I may have previously had a different opinion about homebrewness; I don't really know offhand. Ultimately, it doesn't matter and call Boulder Dash what you wish. Homebrew or professional. If that offends the authors, well that's really their problem - not yours. What comes to mind is Richard Stallman (I've spent some time with him -- "interesting" guy to say the least) -- Richard was instrumental in the development of Linux, but he insists it's not Linux; in HIS presence, you MUST call it "Linux/GNU" and yes, you actually say "linux slash gnu". Doesn't matter what Richard wants to call it, does it.

• Like 8

The people complaining about Elektronite releasing games such as DIIK Arcade are ridiculous. No wonder why some home brew people (such as Elektronite) do not want to create more games. It is up to them if they want to release roms, etc..

The complaining is not good for new releases!?!

You missed the important part. No one would complain about D2K Arcade, if William wouldnt complain about other games. He claims to be a real business man and the only not homebrewer, but I wasnt able to find a Nintendo logo on my D2K or DK Arcade boxes, so I doubt that these games are licensed (same for Minehunter). As a stand alone fact no problem, but with such a guy behind Elektronite it becomes a interessting topic.

In fact William is a happy bunny that Rev doenst stop his buys after that assault towards him here, because I guess it would cost Elektronite 1-2% of their whole sales in a single person.

And that is the really sad part: William complains about soft support, he should know that the community is not very big and still he cant stop to attack people. I mean what is he hoping for? To increase his sales with his kind behavior? If you ask me, he does his best for bringing Elektronite out of business on a long term if he goes on with that.

For me its a bit unfair from Rev to say the "Elektronite Team", because I do not remember a single time I or someone else was insulted from any other Elektronite related person than William. He is the problem of the company and his ego is too big to notice that. The only thing that the rest of the team could be blamed for is that no one stops William from posting anything in public.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 2

@ Rev

A sign of good manners which William did not showed in the past ;)

I just remember that post: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218162-shredded-hover-bovver-boxesbring-a-kleenex/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2858364

Not just calling me Ignoramus (I bought every Elektronite Release since D2K Arcade...), he also used my first name and now the funny part: He just know it from my orders, so he made order details public. But yeah, very professional! :lol:

Edit: If you don't beleave me just check it yourself and search in the Intellivision board for "Matthias", you find exactly two hits: The linked post and a quote of that post. I do not have problem that my first name is made public, so hi, I am Matthias! But I wonder how that fits to someone who claims to be something he calls "professional" :? At least all other sellers I had to deal with (private and comercial) had the respect to keep my real name secret. But Willy is something special, as all we should know meanwhile.

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 2

I still consider it a homebrew. Boulderdash for Intellivision/VCS is a licensed homebrew. The overwhelming majority of homebrew games are not licensed. But to call it something other than homebrew is misleading. It just had the blessing of the IP owner.

Why does it matter so much what Boulder Dash is?

Exposing people's private info (including their real names if they wish to remain anonomous or use an online alias) is a punch below the belt. Don't care what the guy did. 2 cents.

It was not even close to be the lowbrowest what William has ever done. My personal favorit and this list was the "George Plimpton" Advertisement, which he used to insult GroovyBee. I mean use a dead mans name for personal battles is really unworthy.

• Like 2