IGNORED

The Official Game Boy Thread

47 minutes ago, Classic Pac said:

How about the Game Boy games that stood the test of time. Besides Link's Awakening and deserve a Switch remake. The 2 I think deserve it are Super Mario Land 1 and 2. They are both great games, even though 1 can be a pain sometimes it's ending is great. 

Gargoyle's Quest comes to mind. I'd love to see a remake of that one come to the Switch. With the Game Boy's hardware restrictions no longer an issue, Capcom could make the game longer and better in many ways, besides the obvious graphic overhaul. :)

A Wario Land trilogy, with a colored remake of the Virtual Boy game as an unlockable surprise, would also be great on Switch.

Should they remake the two Zelda Oracle games on the Switch using the same engine as the Link's Awakening remake? I think that would be super cool.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a Castlevania GB trilogy remake on the Switch. Or better yet, arrange the levels from those games into a unified Metroidvania map.  :) 

EDIT: Of course, there's always Mega Man, but for that series of video games, what I'd like to see on the Switch is a make-your-own-game product: The game gives you a list of ALL the Robot Masters from ALL the games, and you pick and choose up to 8 levels from that list, and after collecting all 8 weapons you tackle four randomly-generated Wily levels. I could go on and on about the details, but suffice it to say that'd be an awesome addition to the Switch library.

Edited by Pixelboy

12 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I passed up the Double Pack for $15 and I don’t regret it. I like having separate carts!

Yeah I don't blame you, I have them too.  I just couldn't leave it there for that price.  I figure it eats up little room, and if necessary maybe I want something later I can make a trade for another game to someone else I don't want to drop a $100 on like if I wanted Car Battler Joe back or something.  Or for a bit less, some other one and I let the singles go. 

And that GB for that price, what a laugh.  Maybe they got shamed out of it or got a reality check on their own.  I don't have a new one, but I have 2 that might as well be in that box (2 variations from differing years) and I wouldn't even think to ask anything close to that stupidity even if they were still Nintendo branded sticker sealed, and one the older I don't think ever was sealed given the era it came out (1989.)  In that case it wouldn't be hard to lie and say it was new given the headphones, link cable, etc are still sealed while the system just sat in the foam space for it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Pac said:

How about the Game Boy games that stood the test of time. Besides Link's Awakening and deserve a Switch remake. The 2 I think deserve it are Super Mario Land 1 and 2. They are both great games, even though 1 can be a pain sometimes it's ending is great. 

I'm game... THough really Mario Land 2 was the by far nastier one, mostly just due to the Wario fight at the end as he's notably harder than much of the rest of the game.

I'd figure for 'DX' updates given they gave a few QOL fixes I'd go with Metroid 2 with an active map because the 3DS game was fairly gimmicky crippled crap and also the 2nd Kid Icarus would be sweet.  Maybe like on Gamecube Japan, a Nintendo Puzzle Collection on Switch which would do Dr Mario, Panel de Pon(Tetris attack), Yoshi's Cookie, and a few others with a modern look and like DrMario+Tetris SNES have a mash up mode with mixed play.

I don't think Konami or Capcom would have the will to bother, but both of them are fairly obvious of what they really put out great on the GB so I won't go there. :D

The various Kirby games (Dreamland 1 & 2, Block Ball, Star Stacker, Pinball) I think would be excellent for Switch release, a compilation package with the Link's Awakening style upgrade, an all around fun kirby pack with a little of something for everyone.  On their own none are that long so they wouldn't be great to be stand alone games.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tanooki said:

even if they were still Nintendo branded sticker sealed, and one the older I don't think ever was sealed given the era it came out (1989.)

No, they weren't sealed. I've seen many sealed fakes. I bought mine new in 1994 and still have the receipt. My DMG was stored for years, had very little use. Condition of it is flawless as if taken out of the store 10 minutes ago. I've struggled to find anything in the same condition. There have been a few which claim to be new or "as new" but they all have flaws or something about the ad is suspect drawing warning bells.

I intend to hold on to mine. When the day comes it no longer works, I'll simply display the DMG with it's box. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VHS said:

No, they weren't sealed. I've seen many sealed fakes. I bought mine new in 1994 and still have the receipt. My DMG was stored for years, had very little use. Condition of it is flawless as if taken out of the store 10 minutes ago. I've struggled to find anything in the same condition. There have been a few which claim to be new or "as new" but they all have flaws or something about the ad is suspect drawing warning bells.

I intend to hold on to mine. When the day comes it no longer works, I'll simply display the DMG with it's box. 

I've got 2 DMGs complete in the box that are nearly perfect at least on the inside, boxes are excellent.  The older one had no seal, the newer one around 92 has a rectangular gray sticker with the red Nintendo oval logo through the middle of it.  That's why I was questioning it.

Eh see for yourself.  The one with the silver jacket ad is the original #1 package from 1989.

Gameboy-DMG-01-1989.JPG

gameboy-dmg-01-complete.jpg

• Like 2

I visited a local record store that had some games. I got a Street Fighter 2 for a dollar (only a shred of label left and two bad pins so it only works if it’s 95% inserted) and a Super Mario Bros DX with half a label for $2. I passed up a beautiful Mole Mania with a beautiful manual for $25 and told them they could easily get twice that. (I have a complete Japanese copy.) Some of their games were slightly overpriced but it was a charmingly old time experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've got 2 DMGs complete in the box that are nearly perfect at least on the inside, boxes are excellent.  The older one had no seal, the newer one around 92 has a rectangular gray sticker with the red Nintendo oval logo through the middle of it.  That's why I was questioning it.

Eh see for yourself.  The one with the silver jacket ad is the original #1 package from 1989.

I clearly remember DMG's not having seals but seals may also be region specific. I couldn't tell you outside my own region or outside my own local area to be even more specific how a DMG did come. I also still remember looking at 2 friends DMG boxes back in the day before I bought mine in 94 and know they had no seals. I've always noticed seals on any boxes because they peeve me off! lol

Here's another pic of mine. The outer cardboard box, foam, all perfect. No dings, marks or anything like that. It's as it would be on a store shelf.

4.jpg

Edited by VHS
  • Like 2

Well I know from what I have I can actually date within the correct year on the two I have due to the contents of the actual boxes and the box itself.  Those DMG-X numbers really nail it down well, and both mine are US boxes, that's how I came up with the dating.

And since we're going on about it, I actually hit that flea market south of here for the first time in a year, man stuffs gone downhill to the point the inside which isn't where deals are, were where I did better which is confusing.  The usual more expensive vendor I never buy from hadn't kept his prices up.  This is the cleaned up stuff.  Wario there was $25 and G&W4 was $12 which at first I thought sucked, and Q-Bert was $10 despite sticker and Race Drivin was $5.  Zelda was $15, the joes were in a bag of parts and I have O-rings to repair stuff, but that bag was $10 and I salvaged those out of it.  The amiibo was $5.

Seems Wario and G&W4 have gone up in price which is ugly.  I don't get it but as lowball as they used to be, I underpaid.  Shocked to find WWinc is a $40-50 game now (why?!) and the other is a $15 game so I don't feel too bad about it.  Honestly the joe's, amiibo is a spare, and zelda I'm going to sell/trade off to basically break even off this stuff. :D  Toxic pricing these days, quite sad.

fleafinds2.JPG

14 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

WarioWare Inc was the game that got me playing video games again after almost three years of near cold turkey avoidance.  It has remained one of my favorite series ever since, but it never got better than the GBA games.

You're right it never did.  I've had a few others, and a somewhat close second would be Touched on DS, but that's it.  They just got really boring and nowhere near is motivating to continue playing at all.  I've considered the 3DS one Gold because it has the GBA game puzzles, all them from every release, and more so maybe it sucks less?

All said, one thing I'm finding kind of oddly interesting is Race Drivin' because as utterly low FPS as it is, it's actually starting to grow on me as I'm figuring out how to anticipate turning and the speeds on corners and it's starting to get fun.  I pulled off some jumps at the right speed not to smash, and I also got through the loop a couples times finally without smashing either.  It's crazy seeing 3D of this style on the GB, while X from Argonaut(Starfox) in Japan did wire frame only, this one fills the polygons and isn't garbage at it.  I think Days of Thunder was another who did similarly with polygons flat filled, but I'd have to check.

WarioWare Gold is great. Made in Wario is great too if you like making games with toy development tools. I did a pretty impressive version of the Joust ostrich in that… Touched and the Wii one just didn’t do it for me. Twisted was slightly better than WWI but only just.

I do too.

Miracle Adventure of (ESPARKS)

and

R-Type DX

The latter one, he's being lazy it's super common.  But Esparks is one of those places of import hell where it's not common in the slightest, you can just pay up and get it, or you can just twist in the wind for years.

• Like 1

@Raccoon Ladeven at that time, pricing, you got lucky.  As far back as I can remember (guessing decade) it has been a popular BIN troll listing on ebay to screw with people looking for a deep pocketed no-research buyer.  It's not impossible to rope in Japan, even it ends up in game lots.  I got one at the start of this year and you can see it in the image below there in red.  I had friends kind of keeping feelers out and saw it on yahoo japan auctions looking for the pink/yellow one next to it which almost never shows up on ebay ever, and there or overseas tends to get expensive (easy 3 figure US ebay buy) and it's an accurate fun Neo Geo arcade conversion of Money Idol/Puzzle Exchanger, and my eyes bugged out when I saw that familiar red cart.  Due to JP post being really stupid right now I had to use DHL (cheapest) set me back $30, and with the cost of the auction it was like a $150 pick up.  Given what I told you, I basically bought the Neo Geo port, everything else was free.  The sad thing is even people aren't falling for the bs prices on Esparks on ebay, so people have for the last 10 years basically been BIN trolling with no successful sales, and only has it over slow time crept lower from over 100 now into around a 75 price, and still sits.  It's stupid, but when ebay no longer penalizes people for posting new auctions, there's no risk so it continues.

Ulimately I ended up keeping that bottom row, the rest ended up being sold/trade bait which has worked out well.  The F1 game wasn't that hot, but what really surprised me was Lunar Lander which is strangely fun, and that blue one is a neat little pinball game with Jaleco mascot characters on the play field.  Zoids is fairly generic, but a decent GB early era shooter.

The *right* time for GB through GBA was anything up until like 6mo ago, aside from a few percent of the games where they've just been stupid prices for awhile.  Right now, it just sucks.  Personally I'm probably going to see about buying more games through friends overseas and yahoo japan auctions in the future once the JP post extracts its head from its collective asses and allows standard mail to resume.  I can't justify $30 shipping on a game or few when normally it would be like $5.

jp-imports-feb12zenmarket1.thumb.JPG.a0821df8a90d391ad0785ff244770172.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

First post in here so I apologize in advance if I am doing this incorrectly.  I am having issues getting an old GBA to turn on.  I started refreshing some old GBAs to give them a second life for friends and family.  I picked up a bunch in an overseas auction recently and I am down to two that I can't get to turn on.  This one in particular is driving me mad.  This unit has battery corrosion.  It was not horrible but it did get all over the board even up to the button contacts.  I cleaned up the corrosion pretty well but, when I try to turn it on I get a quick flash of green on the power LED and sometimes a crackle from the speaker.  Here is what I have done so far:

Looked all over the board for an obvious short

Checked the fuse

Cleaned the power switch with alcohol

Replaced the power switch with a Helder switch

Decided I must have messed up the Helder switch and removed it to just jump the connection for constant power.

Replaced the 4 caps

All of these steps have resulted in the exact same outcome, a quick flash of green on the LED, maybe a sound from the speaker then nothing.  Any ideas?

• Like 1