IGNORED

Picked up these NES carts tonight .

Tetris is going down a little . Here is one for 48 shipped so minus the shipping cost and fees I would expect to pay 40 cash for it . http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tetris-Tengen-Nintendo-NES-1989-/301722227956?hash=item46400bd4f4

All the higher priced ones seem to just sit on ebay . Looks like it typically sells in the 40 or 50 dollar range .

Still amazes me that my $40 "grail" from 2003 is still worth only $40. It hasn't inflated at all hardly.

Got my Tengen Tetris from Funcoland long ago. At the time the sales drone didn't know there were different Nintendo version from Tengen version so I got away easy. That was probably 5 or 6 years after Nintendo shot down Tengen in court over Tetris license and Funcoland agreed not to sell any Tengen version so naturally everyone forgot and the computer system no longer mentioned separate versions. I do remember early on Funcoland was offering high price and was selling them for $400 just before Nintendo made them agree not to sell it at all.

Sold it on eBay some years ago for I think around 75 so the price had been going down a little bit. I guess people are realizing Tengen Tetris is not as rare as people thought.

Who cares? It's a great game and piece of history. Not everything needs to be NWC rare to be cool. I agree though. Tengen Ms Pacman and Tetris are completely different from the licensed variants but sometimes there's only one entry in the store database. You can expect a place like Goodwill to screw it up. Now everything retro game related goes straight to their auction site as bundles that only resellers could possibly want... :ponder:

Edited by stardust4ever

My favorites from the entire list would be Snake Rattle 'n' Roll. Gauntlet II and Adventure Island. All three of which I've put many hours into. I'm very envious over the Tengen Tetris. I still don't have one of those. I just can't justify that much for one game.

I paid $3 for my CIB copy of Tengen Tetris at a local video game store, sometime around 99 or 2000. They really should have known better, but they were just re-sellers who didn't know anything about the games that they were selling.

Oh you lucky bastard. The envy, it burns! :D

I paid $3 for my CIB copy of Tengen Tetris at a local video game store, sometime around 99 or 2000. They really should have known better, but they were just re-sellers who didn't know anything about the games that they were selling.

I paid $60 for mine, and the asshat eBay reseller (Pedro Games) decided to be sneaky and through in the licensed manual instead of Tengen's. Dumbass me for not checking the photo carefully enough. Also the box was beat to hell and I can't offload it the few times I've tried. Also cartridge was a previous rental that had nasty yellow numbers on it written in paint pen that would not come off no matter how much I scrubbed it with thinner and toothbrush. I finally admitted defeat and inked the paint pen over with black Sharpie. Anyone who tries to remove the sharpie ink will be left with ugly yellow paint pen.

The loose Tengen Tetris I picked up at Game-X-Change in 2004 was immaculate though.

Edited by stardust4ever

• 2 weeks later...

try using some off bug spray on a rag

I paid $60 for mine, and the asshat eBay reseller (Pedro Games) decided to be sneaky and through in the licensed manual instead of Tengen's. Dumbass me for not checking the photo carefully enough. Also the box was beat to hell and I can't offload it the few times I've tried. Also cartridge was a previous rental that had nasty yellow numbers on it written in paint pen that would not come off no matter how much I scrubbed it with thinner and toothbrush. I finally admitted defeat and inked the paint pen over with black Sharpie. Anyone who tries to remove the sharpie ink will be left with ugly yellow paint pen.

The loose Tengen Tetris I picked up at Game-X-Change in 2004 was immaculate though.

Unrelated, but I saw an article on Yahoo recently that DEET mosquito repellant could melt the paint off cars. I might try some on the back of an R.B.I. baseball to see if it damages the plastic any.

I have always used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with great results for removing sharpie marks. I wonder if this would work for paint.

Edited by Oldschool80skid

I have always used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with great results for removing sharpie marks. I wonder if this would work for paint.

Isopropyl takes Sharpie right off. If the ink is more stubborn, mineral spirits are more effective. The marks on my Tengen Tetris cart were done with a yellow paint pen. Believe me, I scrubbed the numbers with toothbrush and thinner for like 20 minutes. It's like freakking nail polish. Acetone removes nail polish (and automotive paint too) but will also melt ABS cart plastics. If you can suggest a solvent that attacks automotive paint or nail polish but not ABS plastic, I'd love to hear it.

The DEET suggestion is just oddball enough that it might work. I have seen DEET bug repellant stored in plastic bottles before. Regardless not all plastics are created equal. I'll spot test it on an R.B.I. baseball cart first.

Regardless, I concealed the yellow paint pen with black sharpie ink, ironically. If I resell the Tengen Tetris cart and someone attempts to remove the black-on-black Sharpie ink with isopropyl or mineral spirits, they will be in for a rude awakening when the black ink turns yellow... :roll:

Edited by stardust4ever

Out of all of those games,I am only interested in Shake Rattle N Roll the most. Never really liked the Tengen series. Graphics are not as good as the actual licensed games. Tengen Tetris is okay,but not as good as Tetris on GameBoy. Played it recently and thought it was kinda meh. Just because a game is rare doesn't mean it's actually good.

Gauntlet on NES is interesting,but a much different game than the actual arcade which is a million times better. It's just not Gauntlet to me without the narrating voice! It lacks so many things that makes the arcade game so good.That's why I go for Gauntlet 2 instead. I do love the soundtrack for Gauntlet NES though,it's awesome.

Edited by lushgirl_80

Out of all of those games,I am only interested in Shake Rattle and Roll the most. Never liked the Tengen series. Gauntlet is interesting,but a much different game than the actual arcade which is a million times better. It's just not Gauntlet to me without the narrating voice! That's why I go for Gauntlet 2 instead. Indian Jones one is really bad imo.

Nice avatar Lush. I remember that movie well, had it as a kid on VHS.

• Like 1

Yeah, they had both of them in the discount bin I believe, Rats of Nihm 1 & 2. May have been a twin pack; can't remember off hand. Fern gully too. That movie screamed late 80s with the soundtrack.

I don't have kids so I can't really be bothered to pick up every animated flick from my childhood that I'll probably watch once if that and never touch again... :P

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

Yeah, they had both of them in the discount bin I believe, Rats of Nihm 1 & 2. May have been a twin pack; can't remember off hand. Fern gully too. That movie screamed late 80s with the soundtrack.

I don't have kids so I can't really be bothered to pick up every animated flick from my childhood that I'll probably watch once if that and never touch again... :P

That nicely described my some 300 or so old school video I got cheap just because I watched them in my childhood. Someday I will have little kids to enjoy those but until then I have a big dust magnet.

• Like 1

That nicely described my some 300 or so old school video I got cheap just because I watched them in my childhood. Someday I will have little kids to enjoy those but until then I have a big dust magnet.

No kidding. The shelves in our living room are already double stacked with DVDs. Even my game rack in my bedroom isn't double stacked. I've enjoyed many of the newer CGI animated flicks that come out over the years though. Shrek series are one of my favs.

I was going to comment on lushgirl's avatar, but I see that's been covered. Oh well, I'm commenting on it anyway. I like it!

The Secret of NIMH is also on Blu-ray, if you can get past the horrid Disney-fied packaging they've been using on the latest releases.

Stay away from the sequel. It's not worth it even if you buy the movies bundled together.

I was going to comment on lushgirl's avatar, but I see that's been covered. Oh well, I'm commenting on it anyway. I like it!

The Secret of NIMH is also on Blu-ray, if you can get past the horrid Disney-fied packaging they've been using on the latest releases.

Stay away from the sequel. It's not worth it even if you buy the movies bundled together.

I'm sure we had it but I don't actually remember the sequel at all despite knowing the first very well. Wasn't there a Fern Gully 2 also that tanked?

One thing I've noticed is the quality of some of these releases were just as high as Disney's, but don't command a premium tag due no thanks to Disney's archaic vault system keeping prices high by not saturating the market.

Edited by stardust4ever