On 5/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, slydc said:

Hi MCA,

Thanks for the scans of the Shooting Gallery, i already added it to the M.O.Archive! Since i have just an ordinary flat bed scanner

integrated with the printer, the major problem i have are the overlays as i would need to scan a small overlay in 4 parts (iisshh!).

So if you have a bigger scanner (or anyone here), i would so much appreciate 600dpi scans of small overlays (no need of the big

ones).

I also don't have the x4 1973 extra games in my collection so if anyone wants to scan them, i would appreciate it very much!

But i think i still have Thomas Holzer original scans which i used for Interplanetary Voyage and W.I.N.

Any contributions will be very appreciated! :):):)

PM SENT

On 5/19/2020 at 7:24 PM, slydc said:

Another game ?! OOOOhhh....smells like a Game Pack #3 will be released soon! :P

Like the name of the game in Latin which translate to "Are you Brutus ?" in English. Sorry but since i'm a Quebecian (French-Canadian),

French comes from Latin so it was easy to translate. ;)

Can't wait to see the whole content of Game Pack #3. :)

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!  The video captures some of the game, but since it is so much about hidden information (that the camera doesn't see) and subtle deduction, playing it in person is the only way to truly understand it.  I'll just say this: this is, personally, my favorite game on the Odyssey.

Overlay scans:  We actually scanned every original Odyssey overlay (including the '73 games and Soccer) at 400 dpi using an overhead large format scanner.  When we launch the OdysseyNow website, which is an archive of information about every game, it will include each scan, as well as a vector version for print.  The website was supposed to launch this spring, but COVID-19 shut down the university and delayed those plans.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, zhorton said:

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback!  The video captures some of the game, but since it is so much about hidden information (that the camera doesn't see) and subtle deduction, playing it in person is the only way to truly understand it.  I'll just say this: this is, personally, my favorite game on the Odyssey.

Overlay scans:  We actually scanned every original Odyssey overlay (including the '73 games and Soccer) at 400 dpi using an overhead large format scanner.  When we launch the OdysseyNow website, which is an archive of information about every game, it will include each scan, as well as a vector version for print.  The website was supposed to launch this spring, but COVID-19 shut down the university and delayed those plans.

It looks like a very fun, intricate game. I commented in the Facebook group but I love the artwork of the overlay on this one as well! Looking forward to playing.

That's great that the overlays are scanned and will be available for printing! This will be a great resource for anyone who may have the cards but not the overlays or who may want to print new overlays to prevent wear and tear on the originals. Thank you for all your hard, great work!

On 5/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, zhorton said:

Thank you so much for working hard at preserving the Odyssey, and especially for the overlay scans. That really will save wear and tear on my originals. Theoretically, if they're now vectorized, they can be resized and printed in much larger sizes to fit newer flatscreens, right?

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 1:51 PM, zhorton said:

Great! Then i don't have to worry about scanning any overlays then as i have a small size scanner (an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax, etc).

Once the overlays scans online, can i put a copy of them on my Archive account (for archival purpose) and i'll put a text note that these

come from you guys at VML ? This way if anything happens to your website, they will be doubled backed-up.

Oh and BTW, i have FINALLY received the Game Pack #2 two days ago after 6 weeks!!! I know that because of the pandemic all delivery are

delayed but it's kinda ridiculous when it could take a 9 hour drive to get to Pittsburgh. And now, you just released Game Pack #3 and i think

i'll wait 3-4 weeks before buying it since deliveries are still delayed. Haven't unpacked it yet but will do by the end of the week. ;)

- Sly -

On 6/1/2020 at 9:56 PM, Blazing Lazers said:

Thank you so much for working hard at preserving the Odyssey, and especially for the overlay scans. That really will save wear and tear on my originals. Theoretically, if they're now vectorized, they can be resized and printed in much larger sizes to fit newer flatscreens, right?

Thanks for your kind words!  Yes, theoretically they could be produced at any size, but practically, it's very hard to print them on the proper translucent film they were designed for at large sizes.  I'm trying to find a professional service that might be able to do it, though...

12 hours ago, slydc said:

Great! Then i don't have to worry about scanning any overlays then as i have a small size scanner (an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax, etc).

Once the overlays scans online, can i put a copy of them on my Archive account (for archival purpose) and i'll put a text note that these

come from you guys at VML ? This way if anything happens to your website, they will be doubled backed-up.

Oh and BTW, i have FINALLY received the Game Pack #2 two days ago after 6 weeks!!! I know that because of the pandemic all delivery are

delayed but it's kinda ridiculous when it could take a 9 hour drive to get to Pittsburgh. And now, you just released Game Pack #3 and i think

i'll wait 3-4 weeks before buying it since deliveries are still delayed. Haven't unpacked it yet but will do by the end of the week. ;)

- Sly -

Yes, absolutely--as long as you credit and link to the OdysseyNow site for the scans, feel free to mirror them on Archive.

I'm glad your Pack #2 finally arrived!  6 weeks is a ridiculously long time for that to have been in the mail, especially given the short actual distance it traveled!  Shows how much difference a border, a pandemic, and bureaucracy can make!  I doubt that anything like that bad of a delay would happen now, but as another option, you could purchase Pack 3 now and I'd be happy to hold it for whatever ship date you prefer.  I just don't want them to sell out on you, if you want one.  There are only 7 left, and I haven't even announced this on AtariAge yet...

• Like 1