IGNORED

Atari 5200 - what are the best games?

Amityville315

I might have to give that game a try on the name alone.

In line with Bassguitari's idea...which games are the WORST?

Gorf, Mountain King and Congo Bongo seemed pretty rough when I gave them a test run.

I played a little Space Dungeon today. It's like a cross between Venture and Defender. Since the aforementioned games are amongst my favorites, Space Dungeon is a winner. Pity the treasures are so drab, but the pacing is manic and fun.

Worst games - Qbert and Frogger both have an unfortunate control scheme that requires you to hold the fire button in order to move. I think they did this to avoid non-centering stick problems, but it isn't really a fun add. I find Qbert especially difficult to control with the stock joystick. Even so, they are faithful versions of their arcade counterparts.

Another "worst" game that sometimes gets mentioned is Kangaroo. While it isn't really a game that pushes the boundaries of what can be possible, I can't really fault this version. I actually find it compelling in short bursts, and I think this version has all the screens from the arcade (I don't care enough about the arcade version to really figure that out).

Now a game that I played once and thought "I never want to see this again" is James Bond 007. Maybe I judged it too quickly, but it looked like a turd filled version of Moon Patrol to me. There is also a prototype version of Stargate that they were correct to hold back from the public.

You are probably right as that seems to be the best original game from what I have read . I have not played it yet with a coupler and two controllers but I am sure it will rule and I plan to do that soon .

I also LOVE Space Dungeon. Loved it as a kid and loving it again here recently. Its not an original, though! Its actually a port of a Taito arcade game that I never once saw in the arcades despite the fact that no quarter was safe in my pocket during the Golden Age.

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9648

Even with a refab controller, Qbert jumped off the pyramid too many times on me. Frustrating isn't fun.

I always found 5200 Qbert control the best of any of the home ports. It allows you to use true diagonals instead of rotating the controller in your hand 45 degrees, which inevitably causes me to go the wrong way when the pressure is on. And you simply stop pressing the fire button if you need to stop.

In line with Bassguitari's idea...which games are the WORST?

...Congo Bongo...

Congo Bongo sucks on every system. The Atari 5200 version, sadly, is not an exception.

Try Miner 2049er it is excellent. :)

Meanwhile, Miner 2049er is excellent on every system (except the Atari 2600 version, which to me is merely "pretty decent"). The Atari 5200 version, happily, is not an exception. :)

Congo Bongo sucks on every system. The Atari 5200 version, sadly, is not an exception.

The C-64 disk version (not the more limited cartridge version) is pretty darn nice. I also didn't mind the ColecoVision version. My problem with any version of Congo Bongo, even the arcade version, is how difficult it is to try and move in the isometric perspective. The game could look awesome (especially that aformentioned C-64 disk version), but certainly never played awesome.

• Like 2

Most people will never get to play it as it is very rare, but Bounty Bob Strikes back, the sequel to Miner 2049er for the 5200 is amazing.

It has 25 levels and I believe there were codes so you could play rhe higher ones if you wanted.

It is also on the c-64 and easy to find for that system.

If you get a flashcart, the Atari 8-bit conversions are fun. I really like games such as Preppie, Anteater, Satan's Hollow - there are so many.

Satan's Hollow is one of my favorite arcade games. Although it plays decently, the Atari 8-bit version of Satan's Hollow is remarkably underwhelming audio-visually. It's a shame it was targeted to low RAM machines because the C-64 version on disk is amazing, particularly considering how early it was made in that system's life.

Star Raiders was such a cool game for it's time. It played very well with the numbered pad on the 5200 joystick and the game had incredible depth for it's day. Trying to increase your rank was such a blast and was a huge challenge to boot. To bad the 2600 version was a big pile of crapola .

I think a lot of people like The Dreadnaught Factor. I do own it, but every time I've tried playing it, I just couldn't get into it. I guess it's just not my type of game.

It is a great game for both systems, the key to it is methodically going slow, not fast. You are the driver do not rush your way over the Dreadnaughts.

Knock out all the vents to shut it down and the Engines at the back to slow it. Great stuff!!! :thumbsup:

Dreadnaught Factor is pretty cool! I like the concept of having to plan out the attack runs. At harder levels, the game is quite a challenge! The onslaught of fire power from the dreadnaughts is impressive.

Thanks for the recommendation. Great addition to my collection. Probably the best "Star Wars" game on the 5200.

• Like 1

As for Kangaroo... It's not too bad. Good for kids.

I learned later it was apples the monkeys were throwing. At first I thought it might be something else!

Ah, so they're apples, just got this on the 2600 and kinda wondered...

Glad to see countermeasure mentioned on this. I haven't tried it yet, but that gives me hope.

• 2 weeks later...