IGNORED

Top 10 favorite NES games of all time.

Hey gang!! I thought toay would be an appropriate day for a top ten discussion. With the tragic loss to Satoru Iwata R.I.P. :( On this day 32 years ago on July 15, 1983 The Nintendo Family Computer was released in Japan a.k.a. "The Famicom". In 3 more months it will be the 30th anniversary of the Nintendo Entertainment System. Released October 18, 1985 as a test market in the New York City metropolitan area. But released nationwide soon after in 1986. Then shortly after in 1987 in Europe. The NES and Atari 2600 is what brought my love for video games. But the NES gave me all of the nostalgia. Getting my system back in 1988. And the games brought me onto a fun and exciting journey and exploring neat worlds and not to mention some of the greatest sounds I have ever heard in gaming. Without further ado. I will lead off and share my top 10 favorite games on the NES. Famicom games are welcome and you are more than welcome to share some of your favorite NES memories. Here is my top 10.

1. The Legend of Zelda

2. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

3. Super Mario Bros. 3

4. Mega Man 2

5. Metroid

6. Mike Tyson's Punchout!!

7. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

8. Ninja Gaiden

9. Duck Tales

10. Contra

• Like 2

Definitely Zelda 2. Not just one of my fav NES games, but one of my favorite games of all time. Just saying. :)

Aside from that, your list with all the standards is pretty good obviously.. good enough for me. I'd maybe add Adventures of Lolo/Eggerland series as well as Lifeforce/Salamander as some of my personal NES favs as well.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Definitely Zelda 2. Not just one of my fav NES games, but one of my favorite games of all time. Just saying. :)

Aside from that, your list with all the standards is pretty good obviously.. good enough for me. I'd maybe add Adventures of Lolo/Eggerland series as well as Lifeforce/Salamander as some of my personal NES favs as well.

The Game Over screen used to freak me out when I was a kid and I got mad and pissed when I died so I wouldn't see it :lol: It is such a fun game too! Can never go wrong with the Zelda franchise.

post-32978-0-65319700-1436982821_thumb.png

I can't give you a top 10 cuz I really don't like this console. It's not the hardware it's the software I don't like. The NES was really good at translating the golden age arcade games that I love but the problem I have is that there's not enough of them.

I will give you a number 1 on my list and that would be Popeye. This game is superb on the NES. And a shout out to Super Mario which is a game that I played a lot of (like others did) BITD but anymore it's just not my style of game. I like playing a game for a few minutes and then moving on to something else just like arcade gaming back in the 70s and early 80s.

I know. I'm a relic.

1. Zelda

2. Tecmo Bowl(s)

3. Metroid

4. Bionic Commando

5. Kirby's Adventure

6. RBI Baseball

7. Tyson's Punch Out

8. Lolo(s)

9. RC Pro AM(s)

10. Pro Wrestling

Edit - The two RC Pro Am games together really push that little series into the top 10 for me.

I played Super Mario Brothers a lot, but it never really clicked with me. Someone mentioned North & South, and I thought that was genius - even better than some of the computer versions. I also have a soft spot for Ice Hockey which I had a lot of fun with BITD.

Definitely Zelda 2.

I returned it to the store as a kid because it was such a big disappointment

• Like 2

I returned it to the store as a kid because it was such a big disappointment

Lol you are nuts. To me this game still holds up to this day.. Starting a new game up, then simply grinding through the first castle to high levels on Magic/Attack/Shield still gives me a lot of enjoyment. Go figure :lol:

• Like 1

I can't give you a top 10 cuz I really don't like this console. It's not the hardware it's the software I don't like. The NES was really good at translating the golden age arcade games that I love but the problem I have is that there's not enough of them.

I will give you a number 1 on my list and that would be Popeye. This game is superb on the NES. And a shout out to Super Mario which is a game that I played a lot of (like others did) BITD but anymore it's just not my style of game. I like playing a game for a few minutes and then moving on to something else just like arcade gaming back in the 70s and early 80s.

I know. I'm a relic.

It's all cool and it's your opinions that matter. The arcade port games I can think of are. Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Popeye, and Mario Bros. And agree that there isn't enough of them. Some of them are very rare like Dig Dug, Millipede, Space Invaders and Galaga. And some I think released only in Japan. Also the time you grew up in and during the late 70's to the early 80's during the arcade golden age is something that cherishes you and want to relive and have the nostalgia and memories brought back. NES wanted to do it's own thing and move forward from the arcade era and rely on platformers, puzzle games, and beat em uppers.

I am bad at ranking things I like.. I agonize too much over how much I enjoy one over another. So, in an effort to break my old habits and not spend hours thinking about this, l'll just throw out some games I love in no particular order.

Smash TV - One of my all time favorite games ever. Fast action, fantastic level design- truly a masterpiece when using a dual arcade stick setup.

Adventure Island series - All three have their charms. I also love the box art.

Rescue - some of my favorite video game music I have ever heard is when you're sneaking in and out of doorways.

Burgertime - Great translation of an arcade classic.

Pirates! - I got lost in this game for MONTHS. Great music, huge open world. I remember making a journal to log my travels and take note of rumors heard in taverns. I love this game. It was ahead of is time.

Anything by KOEI.. I could go on about a few titles, but I will just say they are awesome in many ways.

Popeye - Great arcade action.

The Legend of Zelda

Contra and Super C - Never used the code, still love them.

Super Dodge Ball - nice port of an arcade favorite of mine.

Predator - very tough platformer with great music. It took a while, but this one really grew on me.

Gunsmoke - Nice arcade action. Didn't know about this one until college. I love a good shooter.

Tetris - Scarily addictive.

Bump N Jump - I like this game on any system.

Super Mario Bros. - The game which showed the greatness of platformers.

I am leaving out a lot, but I guess every list needs to end somewhere. This makes me want to dig out my collection and see what I'm forgetting. Thanks for that!

Edited by WispFollower
  • Like 1

Completely off topic but if you "like" Contra and Super C, and have not played Contra 4 on the DS, get off your butt and go get it right now. :lol: The game is complete fan service and of course both NES contras are built in bonuses within the game. Sorry I just wanted to say that since I'm in the throes of a Contra 4 nerdgasm again, playing it non-stop for the past few weeks trying to complete all the challenges.

Now back to your lists. :)

Contra 4 is awesome. One of the best games I've played on the DS. Love how the bosses take up both screens.

Now I'll give this Top Ten Nes thing a try. Very hard though since there are so many classics as well as more obscure gems on this system.

1.Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse

2.Super Mario Brothers 3

3.Balloon Fight

4.Crystalis (I like it better than both of the Nes Zeldas as blasphemous as that may sound)

5.Galaga

6.Contra/Super C (can't decide)

7.Mega Man 2

8.Bucky O Hare

9.Kirby's Adventure

10.Donkey Kong Classics

Honorable mentions: Ninja Gaiden 2, Tetris,Bubble Bobble, Lifeforce, Super Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Sky Shark

I'm somewhat happy with this list but I'm sure it will fluctuate with time. So many great Nes games.

Edited by AlexKIDD
  • Like 1

Oh my lord ... only 10 ! I will give it a shot but I am sure I will forget some or just not have enough room to list them due to only picking 10 .

Zelda

Spelunker

Kung-Fu

Super Mario Brothers

Tyson's Punch Out

Trojan

Rush'n Attack

Tecmo Bowls

Double Dribble

Ivan Stewart's Off Road Racing

• Like 1

The first ten games that come to mind, on a subconscious level, have to be my favorites:

Tecmo Super Bowl

Super Mario Bros.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Galaga

Double Dragon/II

Contra/Super C

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Kung Fu
Metroid
Pro Wrestling

Lots of honorable mentions and runners-up:
Legend of Zelda

Mach Rider

Tetris

Mario Bros.

Duck Hunt

Super Mario Bros. 2/3

Arkanoid

Bubble Bobble

Donkey Kong Jr.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

[Mike Tyson's] Punch-Out

• Like 1

I didn't get my first NES console for several years after release, and then didn't play one until I'd dragged a few home and finally decided to "fix" one so it worked (later determined to be the ubiquitous ZIF connector problems).

I got so frustrated I went to TRU and bought the then-new top loader so I could play some of the games that had been piling up.

After that, I loved it...

Millipede

Balloon Fight (solo endurance mode)

Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle

Star Force/Star Soldier

Starship Hector

Magmax

SMB2,3

Legendary Wings

Snake Rattle n Roll

Abadox/Zanac/(...& others)

• Like 1

There are many games on the NES I really love and many others I can do without lol. Some of them I just love for the music and don't care much for the gameplay(i.e.,like Castlevania 2),and vice versa.

I guess my all-time 10 favorite personal NES games would be:

1) Metroid

2) Super Mario Bros. 2(USA)

3) R.C. Pro-Am

4) Stinger

5) Goonies II

6) Lifeforce

7) Cobra Triangle

8) Bubble Bobble

9) Pinball

10) Guardian Legend

• Like 1