mytek

TransKey-II in development

2 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Is it not possible to completely abstract TK-II key assignments from the core code by using an indirection table (i.e. the firmware acts on tokens derived from a look up on the translation table)?

That would have been nice if I had been better at organizing the code in that way, but unfortunately I never anticipated moving the base F-Key stuff, so its not exactly straight forward at this point. Also I have almost no program space left, so even if I wanted to, it could likely take a lot of refactoring to find enough space to change how things are done. If I did have the room, the best way to approach this would be to abstract it as you suggested and then have a non-volatile setting that could be used to select from the original F-key mapping over to a DarkAKI version. So a person that's used to it the way it is, has a choice.

For something I make no money from (and has been a drain financially speaking), I just can't see putting in the required work to change the fundamental F-Key arrangement at this time, or probably ever. Besides it works quite well the way it is and seems to be bug-free at V2.4, so why tempt fate ;) .

• Like 2

On 8/16/2015 at 5:30 PM, mytek said:

As for making this work with a MegaST keyboard. I'm sure it's possible, just need to look at the actual situation, since I've never thought of doing that. Can you link me to a schematic?

A little late on my reply here. ;) 

Here are some schematics for the 1040ST keyboard.

Not too hi-res, but sufficient, I think.

3342271683_1d59e3a424_o.thumb.jpg.8922c36ae0e9a33c89558e110e8b8e5f.jpg

3343072926_2483ae8421_o.thumb.jpg.b5331ef223e19dee87d7db43eef669d3.jpg

Edited by MrFish
  • Thanks 1

If you have SDrive-MAX and want it to work better with a PS/2 keyboard, I have modified the original sdrive.atr file that came with my SDrive-MAX so that it takes advantage of the special navigation keys present on a PC keyboard. I think anyone using a TK-II (or a 1088XEL/XLD) will find this much more intuitive in operation when navigating the file list.

I only modified the one SDRIVE.COM default file, and that's all that's in this ATR: sdrive.atr

Just replace (over write) the original, or rename it to sdrive.xxx if you wish to restore it later. And here are some instructions showing the new key assignments (based on original image from Mr. Robot's website).

SDrive_TK-II_Instructions.thumb.png.67636bd79cf1eeaae51c6f27204e3429.png

Enjoy :) .

Warning: this will not work as well with a stock Atari keyboard, you will be required to hold down control with the up/down arrow keys, and will no longer have use of the left/right arrows or < > key actions.

Edit: PageUp and PageDn are more specifically going a page at a time through the list, and will get reflected in the page count in the upper left.

Edit: Information and download now also available at: https://ataribits.weebly.com/tk-ii-control.html

• Like 3

I just put a TK-II v2 into a 400 - did not hook up the console keys yet but in Memo Pad all I get is the 3 lights on the PS/2 Keyboard flashing every few seconds.  Any ideas on my error?  The keyboard works with the TK-II built into by 1088XEL

Thanks!

You are seeing a watchdog timeout in the PIC chip, which then does a reset and re-initialization of the PS/2 keyboard. Usually this is the result of the PIC chip not seeing the Pokey counter. As to why that's happening, I'm not really sure without having your setup in front of me. Does the 400's stock keyboard work without the TK-II? Are you hearing the start-up sound when powering up with a Basic cart?

On 12/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, mytek said:

Now that Lotharek has brought out the DarkAKI PS/2 Interface, should I rearrange the function keys on the TK-II to somewhat match?

It would be a lot of work, since it's just not firmware changes only, but also would create a considerable amount of document changes (i.e., TK-II Manual). And of course it introduces the possibility of creating new bugs in the code. Also keep in mind that the present code methodology was not meant to be rearranged easily, and has hooks for some of the other features associated with those keys that could get affected by the move (more potential bugs).

And of course anyone that has gotten used to the present layout, would have to relearn the new arrangement, although if they use emulation they would probably welcome that ;-) .

Did anything ever come of this thought process? Interested for 'reasons'

On 12/18/2019 at 12:36 PM, mytek said:

F1 as HELP for the Atari. And I believe this is the same on the ATARI800 emulator.

atari800 uses F1 as the main menu button, I don't know what it does on the win/mac ports.

Atari++ also uses F1 as the main menu button

xformer uses F1-F4 as 1200 function keys

as fjc said, Altirra F1 is turbo mode (but it can be remapped)

EclaireXL and Mist/Mister use the DarkAKI layout which according to this is the atari800win layout

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Did anything ever come of this thought process? Interested for 'reasons'

atari800 uses F1 as the main menu button, I don't know what it does on the win/mac ports.

Atari++ also uses F1 as the main menu button

xformer uses F1-F4 as 1200 function keys

as fjc said, Altirra F1 is turbo mode (but it can be remapped)

EclaireXL and Mist/Mister use the DarkAKI layout which according to this is the atari800win layout

Console key remapping is available on the latest TK firmware V2.5J through the use of CTRL+ALT+E toggling between what had been standard from the beginning to something more like the DARK AKI firmware in Lotharek's PS/2 Adapter.

I opted to stick with my decision to have F1 be the HELP key (same as Dark AKI), and still retained the now redundant F10 HELP key. I'm also used to F1 representing HELP in many Windows programs, so that made sense to me and likely influenced the creator of the Dark AKI firmware as well.

Because Altirra chose a different assignment for F1 wasn't a good enough reason for me to change it, or to move HELP to F6 to match it. My greater concern was to mimic what Lotharek's new keyboard adapter had these keys mapped to, since that is the alternative hardware adapter to my TK-II. And when it comes to emulators, there is absolutely no consistency between them in this regard, which is unfortunate (everyone did their own thing).

Since I mapped many of the 1200XL F1-F2 assignments to PS/2 key equivalents where it made sense (PageUp, PageDn, Home, End, arrows), support was dropped for a one-to-one F-key assignment. However wherever a 1200XL function wasn't reassigned, then SHIFT+ALT+F1-F4 will bring those to life (see the manual for more info about this).

function_key_assignments.png.721284ae817b9ab2be1c5b57eefb6549.png

Note: the upcoming 576NUC+ board will default to the new F1-F5 mapping and not provide a fall back to the original TK-II standard.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:20 PM, cbelcher said:

Found a bad wipe (or 2) in the POKEY socket on the 400 motherboard - new socket fixed it - thanks!

This is becoming more common these days,

One of the reason I still suggest pushing in slightly before pulling out...

clean the legs clean the swipes...

• Like 1