IGNORED

Anybody know the guy that made the Fat Albert Hack?

Crazy Climber

Great!! Thanks for putting that together. Great job by you and iesposta getting the voice to work.

Here is today's build with better samples.

There is still a bank unused, so we could add one more sample.

I'd like to try to make the sound of hitting the dog, sound like a dog... I know MouseTrap has cat sounds, does it have dog sounds?

Fat_Albert_Speech_3a.zip

• Like 2

Here is today's build with better samples.

There is still a bank unused, so we could add one more sample.

I'd like to try to make the sound of hitting the dog, sound like a dog... I know MouseTrap has cat sounds, does it have dog sounds?

attachicon.gifFat_Albert_Speech_3a.zip

Mousetrap does have two dog like sounds, one when you pick up a bone and another when you use it.

I will check out the new version.

I know neotokeo2001 posted a video of the "final" version of Fat Albert, but I just had to add better sound samples, and change hitting the dog to a bark-type sound.

I won't be adding anything more. I don't want paid for helping on this fun project.

neotokeo2001 has the binary and source for the version with the bark sound.

It is up to him to post the binary and/or source, or not.

• Like 1

I hope somebody does some playtesting before a bunch of carts get made. I only played for a couple of minutes myself, but it seemed fine... :ponder:

Iesposta mentioned the scanline count has been fixed in the marketplace thread. I just wanted to explain it a little more detail here, and not derail that thread.

The original speech routine used for the Dr. Who hack would stop keeping sync with the TV while the speech was executed. I have a newer TV, and if it looses sync like this then it mutes the sound automatically (and there is no option to change that). I re-wrote the routine to keep a stable scanline count all through the speech. The problem was the routine updates the sound every 4 scanlines, and 262 is not divisible by 4. This made it so that I had to write more code then I would have liked.

There are a couple of other workarounds that could have been tried. The first would be to make the scanline count either 260 or 264. Though simple to implement, I didn't want to deviate from 262 lines because I have read of some cases where TV's have trouble with small scanline variants such as 261 and 263 scanlines. I don't remember from which threads, but the important part is when they have trouble their screen rolls. The second thing that could be done is making the sound update every 2nd line, or every single line. In those cases you have to double or quadruple the data. That is not a bad thing though because your bitrate is higher, and the quality of the speech becomes better. You just have to have the room, and bankswitch some more if the data goes over a bank.

Anyhow in the end I fixed the scanline count for the speech and game, and everything seems fine besides needing playtesting. :)

I've never played the original Fast Food, but I got 1100 points, and the "dogs hit" decreased properly at 500 and 1000 points.

I don't know if you can "get into a zone" like with Kaboom!, but this (and I read the original) get insanely fast fairly quick and it is impossible to avoid the dogs (or purple pickle)?

I will see if I can find a play tester.