IGNORED

What was the first Atari 2600 game you bought?

Skippy B. Coyote

Space Invaders. Finally got a light sixer in 1980, because of Space Invaders. Prior to that, the Atari was "too expensive". But when Space Invaders was released I threw a trantrum and HAD to have an Atari. Parents finally broke down and got me one for my birthday. Grandparents bought me Space Invaders.

:)

Technically it would be the "pack in" Combat, I'm afraid my memory is not to clear with regards to my first purchase, I remember having Haunted House, Breakout, Super Breakout, Riddle of the Sphinx, Fire Fighter, Pitfall, Star Raiders and quite a few others-I just can't remember which I got first.

Not knowing that Sears titles were different, I asked for target fun as we had that at summer camp and I played the hell out of it. Well, they couldn't find that naturally, not buying it at Sears, so I got Superman with it.

I think the first game I bought was Dodge'em or maybe Outer Space (That sears thing again...)

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

My older siblings bought most of the games we played early on - Space Invaders, Missile Command, Pac-Man, Asteroids, Berzerk, etc. I think the first one I picked out was probably E.T., but I specifically remember going to Toys R Us to buy Keystone Kapers (I still love that one)

As a child, the first game I remember buying myself(rather than my parents) was Star Raiders through the Atari Age Magazine. As an adult collector the first was Dig Dug from O'Sheas. I was never able to open that copy of Dig Dug. I looked at it and felt it shouldn't be opened, that started my collection craze in 1998.

I bought 5 of them all at once, $0.99 each from a bin near the counter, at Kmart in 1985 when I was 10 years old, at the same time that I bought a new "Vader" 2600 for $35 at the same store (one joystick, no pack-in game):

- Defender

- Asteroids

- Armor Ambush

- Space Attack

- Star Raiders

I liked them all except for Star Raiders, which was perfectly useless. It was my last pick of the bunch (I had exactly $40 that I'd saved from my $5/week allowance), and my older brother suggested Yars' Revenge; I should have listened to him. But Star Raiders came in a big box and included a keypad controller; it seemed like a great deal for a dollar.

Also, my neighbor gave me Missile Command for free that same day, which is one of the best 2600 games ever made.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 1

I received my Atari Christmas of 83 I believe. I got 11 games with it.

1. Kangaroo

2. Ms Pac Man

3. Demons to Diamond

4. Blueprint

5. Circus Atari

6. Raft Rider

7. M.A.S.H.

8. No Escape

9. Demon Attack

10. Combat (of course)

11.M.A.D.

Then I bought Gorf with some Christmas money from Jefferson Ward.

It was a good Christmas.

• Like 2

the first Game I bought for my System? Hmmm, I would have to say Final Approach by Apollo, along with Several others (Blue Print,Laser Blast, Megamania, Tape Worm) bought it at a local Agape House Thrift Store for a $1 each, every game I got before that one, and the system itself, i was given. I had at least 9 or so games before then.

The first games I got for the system was Pac-Man and Combat. Later, I was given the games : Midnight Magic, Moon Patrol, BattleZone, Cosmic Ark, Congo Bongo, Junior Pac-Man, Realsports Volleyball, Berzerk, Star Raiders, and Space Patrol by the same guy who gave me the system.

I was also given the games Warlords and Breakout by a woman who ran a Resale Shop "A little Bit of Everything" that had recently been broken into (at the time) she told me about the break in, and that she was done selling video games because of the theft. She had a massive inventory, which my dad told me about when he stopped in before. when I went, there was nothing there at all. My dad was confused, and she explains why she has no games.

She then pulls out 2 Atari games, "Here, these 2 games were the only things the cops recovered, they found them on the sidewalk. Here you go." I went to ask how much, and she said just take them.

Edited by Polybius

When my parents got us an Atari for Christmas in 1982, they bought 1 extra game for it. Unfortunately it was Laser Blast. After getting back into the hobby about 10 years ago the first game I looked for that didn't come with the 4 switch woody I bought on ebay was Frogger.

The first games I bought was at a tiny cinderblock pawn shop just on the outskirts of town in 92. I remember we technically weren't even supposed to go there due to it being across the main highway. We found a ton of games there, the guy sold the 2600 games 3 for a buck. I got Stampede, Barnstorming, and Sky Jinks. We would risk getting in trouble alot going back for more. Man, we would never hear the end of it when we were found out!! Ashamed it has been out of business for a long time. He still had a ton of Atari goodness the last time I went to it before it suddenly didn't open anymore.. That was the summer of 99, I bought a surround sound system from him. Unfortunately I wasn't collecting for Atari then, or would have bought all I could.

I started collecting about a year and a half ago and got about 30 games in a lot. I couldn't list them all from memory, but they were the typical common games. Pitfall, Jr. Pac-man, Astroblast, Starmaster, Yar's Revenge and Vanguard are the ones that come to mind. Those were the most memorable out of my original lot.

I got a heavy sixer at a tag sale for $15 as a kid c. 1984, but it didn't come with any games. It sat in the garage for a few days that seemed like forever. Then my mom picked up a fresh copy Asteroids at a toy store. I'll never forget it. In my mind, it was just like the arcade. Not long after, we got Super Breakout. Then Yar's Revenge. I was a little late to the party, so I got a lot of great games for cheap, post-crash. I also got my share of turkeys (Sneak 'n Peek comes to mind). But overall I loved my Atari, even as the other kids started to get Nintendos. I finally got an NES of my own c. 1988, and my dad gave the Atari away to my uncle's church youth group -- never to be seen again. The Nintendo was awesome, but for some reason I soon began to miss the Atari. Thanks to eBay, decades later, my wife got me one for my 30-somethingth birthday. Not the heavy sixer of my youth, but at least I'm back in the game!

Looks like several other people have the same memory issue I do.

I can remember the games that my mom got for me along with the system. There was the standard pack in of Combat. She also got me Laser Blast and Missile Command.

The first game I got after that? I can't recall for sure.

I'm tempted to say Adventure. I have a recollection of getting it from Woolco while they were still open, and they weren't open for very long after I got my system. But I also remember wanting Adventure for a long time. I think there were at least a couple of other games before I got that one.

Maybe Space Invaders? That's a fair bet. It was one my mom wanted to see. I'm pretty sure my mom bought it from Service Merchandise on the mall one day while I was with her. But my recollection of purchasing that game also places it as later.

Part of me thinks it was Star Wars: Jedi Arena. I know I got it for Christmas one year. And the Christmas in question had to have been 81 or 82. I lean towards 81, because I know I didn't have many games yet, and that was the reason why I kept trying to play that hunk of crap. However, Wikipedia says the game wasn't released until 1983. That can't be right.

So, I don't know what game I got after my first included batch.

On the other hand, I do have a very clear memory that the very first game I purchased with my own money was Night Driver. That was my object lesson that just because it was a video game didn't mean it was good.

• 5 weeks later...

I was an intellivision kid back in early 80s. But when the Coleco Gemini came out it was pretty cheap and I decided to ask for one for Christmas. I guess this 1983? Anyway I was so sure I'd get one I bought Reactor before I even had the system. Luckily I got Gemini so it was all good. Funny thing is I don't really think I played Reactor all that much.

I can't remember if this was during my second or third Freshman year at college (late 90s), but my girlfriend dumped me out of the blue to go back to her ex, so to deal with the loss I skipped class, went to the retro gaming store down the street and picked up a system and a copy of Stampede. The following weekend I went to the flea market, found an elderly couple that had a mountain of games, talked him down to $2 a game and walked out with a plastic milk crate filled with carts.

• Like 1

Got the Sears Tele-Games Video Arcade on Christmas 1980. Came with Target Fun and we also got Space Invaders. The next day we went to Sears and got more carts. We got Bowling, Tank Plus, Flag Capture, Pong Sports, Poker Plus, Spelling, and some others I can't recall. It was a great time.