IGNORED

Official Homebrew Releases [post 125] for HARDCORE Collectors only!

Rev

Interesting points all around this discussion. But this very topic is why I do not hunt variations, too impossible to ever get them all. If I have one of the variations of a game, and it is the version that I like the best, then it counts on my personal list. Doesn't matter if there are 20 versions of Donkey Kong available. As long as I have the one I want then I check the box complete for my collection's purposes.

The flip side of this is that I do enjoy seeing the findings of the minute variation collectors like cmart and others like him. They show us the scope of the hobby and add to the known history. Without them I wouldn't know which of the different items out there was the best for my own collection. Plus it's just fun to see all the many things our beloved system produced and all the things the homebrew community had added to the hobby over time. Their work is most appreciated by a simple 125 hunter like myself.

My recommendation for delicately branching into variants would be to start with Sears. There are only 29 (30) that I know of and only one variant. 27 of those are affordable and easy enough to find. Also, they're nice and uniform on display :)

The worst? Intellivision Inc is pretty bad. There aren't too many box variations, but cart labels and manuals are a mess. Coleco/CBS is rough too. Soo many Donkey Kongs...

Hi Jason,

I haven't really gone too deep down rabbit hole with variants & just have what I got in lots + 1 from grab bag. The Sears system is the hardware unit I play on. I have a Sears unit CIB, Sears Telegames holder loose, Sears OL set CIB + poster, maybe like 16 of 29 games CIB, & hope to get a Sears controller CIB one day. Cmart beat me out on an auction years ago:-) And I was like 5 - minutes too slow on one maybe 6 months ago because I had to s**t lol:-)

Joe

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

I haven't really gone too deep down rabbit hole with variants & just have what I got in lots + 1 from grab bag. The Sears system is the hardware unit I play on. I have a Sears unit CIB, Sears Telegames holder loose, Sears OL set CIB + poster, maybe like 16 of 29 games CIB, & hope to get a Sears controller CIB one day. Cmart beat me out on an auction years ago:-) And I was like 5 - minutes too slow on one maybe 6 months ago because I had to s**t lol:-)

Joe

I was lucky enough to find a Sears replacement controller with box and instructions at a local game store in town. Not mint, but decent. I think I paid $25? I also devised a retention system for it. Maybe I'll post some pics on Sunday.

Oh, I see. That's the "Competition Edition," I guess. Do we count it as a separate release, really? I would consider it more like a "patch" or "running" release that was not made retroactively on sold cartridges.

This is similar to the 3 or 4 different versions of Carol out there to fix bugs, such as the bug from CGE and the PAL bug. With each of those we offer to replace the boards of sold cartridges, but not everybody participated, so there are multiple versions out there. As far as I know, NOBODY is counting those things separately.

-dZ.

Well, some jerk-face might count those as separate for his own insane collection. :ponder:

BUT - That jerk-face isn't advocating that they be official versions or anything. :-D

@ Copter Command Limited

It was available for everyone, so of course it counts. EVERY SINGLE Participant of the Contest got a copy ;) Come on, "HARDCORE Collectors only", so face the truth: No Limited CC, no complete Homebrew-Variant Collection :twisted: And to kill everyones last hope: Of course the ONE OF A KIND Competition-Versions of Carol Christmas do count. If you not own them, you have no complete collection. In fact its not even a variant, its a new game with changes to the original one!

You can't buy the world cmart, sometimes you have to do more than just opening your money bag :P You know its true, you can't own all games, its just impossible.

Lol. That feels like a challenge. :) After almost 20 years of collecting for the Inty I keep finding new things to collect and for me that's the attraction. I enjoy the hunt. :)

• Like 1