IGNORED

What do you think are the worst games on Atari?

Darren01274

Sneak 'n Peek and Karate are indeed pretty awful..

Most of those stupid Mystique "erotic" games are only good for a laugh once or twice.. then, just awful.

Laser Blast is very dull.

The Mystique games are hardly the worst on the system from a gameplay perspective. Beat em and Eat em is quite fun and Custer's is LOL. Bachelorette could use some gameplay tweaks though...

Hmm...

I'm going to go with Bugs or Firefly. Firefly for everyhing that's been mentioned already like the bad sound effects and stuff, and Bugs because I can never manage to get a good score on it and it's easy until the Phylax thing comes. Also, in a game called Bugs, why is there a lizard?

• Like 1

Bugs for me is OK, I grew up playing it, although back in the day for me it took some rather intensive study of the manual to get it right, but then I was a kid :P And to answer your question Burrito, I think the lizard is there because some people even consider certain reptiles bugs SIMPLY because they "bug" them :P

Listen to the top 10 section of this podcast for a variety of opinions on this. SoCal goes for the informed "no guys this really is the worst" approach while the others let the disappointment factor through the door:

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2015/roundup084_2015.02.php

I think Star Fox and Sssssnake are the top two offenders, but there are arguments to made for some other relatively decent games. I think I'd arrange a top list of worst offenders like this

Star Fox - worst concept game by a 3rd party

Sssssnake - worst blatant knock off brought to the 2600

Swordquest(s) - worst original Atari game(s)

Pac Man - biggest disappointment

3D Tic Tac Toe - worst experimental game

I think I could think of 2nd options for each of those categories, but you'll probably find the most stinkers in that 3rd party originals bucket.

The Mystique games are hardly the worst on the system from a gameplay perspective. Beat em and Eat em is quite fun and Custer's is LOL. Bachelorette could use some gameplay tweaks though...

I disagree.. not ALL the Mystique games are flat-out awful, but I feel Custer's Revenge is just a horrible game overall in terms of gameplay. Burning Desire is horrible, as is Bachelorette. A good number of the Mystique games have garbage gameplay. Knight On The Town is probably their best game.

After watching this, you will never ever attempt to play this game or ever want to hear about this monstrosity as long as you live. It is just atrocious!

MY GOD! MY GOD! IT BURNS!! :mad:

All the Mythicon games, all the Froggo games, nearly all the "RealSports" games(Tennis and Volleyball are okay), all of the Swordquest games, Quadrun and Double Dragon rank among the top of the worst of the 2600 games I've played.

I'd rather play Sneak 'n Peak than these. :lol:

Actually I thought RealSports Football and Baseball had some redeeming qualities, especially Football. I mean it ain't Madden, but it ain't bad either. If it's the early 80s and the 2600 is what you've got (unless you also have an Intellivision), then it's pretty decent.

In addition, though, I would have to add DataAge's Airlock, Bugs, and Sssnake. All games I could've comfortably done without (thankfully only picked these up later for a little of nothing). Also, I'll have to agree with Apollo's Raquetball and Skeet Shoot. Definitely everything Mythicon, pretty much everything that Froggo released as well (most especially Karate).

Vidtec's Space Jockey gets really old, really quick.

I also didn't really care much for Imagic's Fire Fighter. Looks like a good game from the label, and the graphics actually look good in-game, but there's just not a lot to do, and I feel like the rest of Imagic's library makes a much stronger showing.

And I know Activision's Laser Blast was mentioned as well. While it's true Activision did put out much better games later on, it's not terrible. It's not one I choose to play often, but I do have to defend it in saying that it's better than some of these other games I've mentioned.

As for Atari, usually E.T. and Pac-Man are the two most-prominent whipping boys, and they certainly are two games that are disappointing. But I think time has been much less kind to Starship. If you're going to play a first-person perspective space game from Atari, then you're much better served with Star Raiders or Solaris.

After watching this, you will never ever attempt to play this game or ever want to hear about this monstrosity as long as you live. It is just atrocious!

http://youtu.be/GGa7vDqEjBE

Dude... For the sheer ridiculousness, I feel compelled to find this game, buy it, and get a world record... Unless I die of laughter (ala Roger Rabbit) or dysentery first...

Pooyan and Donkey Kong Junior get my votes for worst arcade ports. Other than those two I'd just have to repeat some of the games that have already been mentioned: Sssnake, Bugs and Skeet Shoot. I kind of don't hate Sorcerer. It's the most playable of the Mythicon games. I always thought Star Fox was actually worse than Fire Fly.

• Like 1

But I think time has been much less kind to Starship. If you're going to play a first-person perspective space game from Atari, then you're much better served with Star Raiders or Solaris.

Well, they're different kinds of games. Star Raiders was essentially a real-time action version of the old Trek games; Star Ship was essentially a space-themed carnival shooting gallery game. If you play Star Ship and expect it to be like Star Raiders or Starmaster, you're going to be disappointed.

Laughed so hard I nearly crapped my pants! :rolling:

I need to go potty bad... :o

Dude, I'm crying from laughing! Never knew that this shit even existed! I wonder how much it cost when it was first released? You have to give the programmer props for going the extra mile with the flowers at the bottom of the screen. :-o

Dude, I'm crying from laughing! Never knew that this shit even existed! I wonder how much it cost when it was first released? You have to give the programmer props for going the extra mile with the flowers at the bottom of the screen. :-o

The 3 Mythicon games retailed for $9.95 (MSRP right on the box), but were quickly discounted soon after. Pretty sure I bought Star Fox for $.99 at Kay*Bee BITD. :lol:

They used to have shallow square bins similar to what Toys 'R Us currently uses for their misc. or closeout stuff.

• Like 1

Pooyan is excellent, Donkey Kong is playable for an early Garry Kitchen game, I never missed any level as I didn't know there were any missing. So what's to complain!

Pac-Man was played to death when I got it in the early 80s, again never knew the arcade version. For me Pac-Man rocked.

Look at my post again. I said Donkey Kong Junior. I actually really enjoy the original VCS Donkey Kong. No 2600 game is going to be arcade perfect, but the best ones at least capture the feel of the original, and Donkey Kong does that pretty well even with the missing screens. (For the record, I knew the elevator screen was missing, but it was years before I discovered the pie factory). There may be objectively worse arcade ports than DK Jr. and Pooyan, but for me they both really miss the mark.

But I think time has been much less kind to Starship. If you're going to play a first-person perspective space game from Atari, then you're much better served with Star Raiders or Solaris.

I like Star Ship. It's a fun little diversion that isn't trying to be what Star Raiders or Solaris are. It's more like an ancestor to Star Wars The Arcade Game.

Pooyan is excellent, Donkey Kong is playable for an early Garry Kitchen game, I never missed any level as I didn't know there were any missing. So what's to complain!

Pac-Man was played to death when I got it in the early 80s, again never knew the arcade version. For me Pac-Man rocked.

Add another vote for Pooyan. I own the Famicom port and the VCS port, and assuming the Famicom version is semi accurate, the VCS port is very faithful to the original. Some arcade games you have to loose a few quarters to before they draw you in.

I gotta pick this up just so I can plug my AV modded 7800 and blast it through my sound system!!! So bad, it's eppiccc... :evil: