IGNORED

Intellivision 'Dual Action' Controller...

nurmix

I'm thinking about doing this up right (Atari Age Intellivision forum style)... branding the controller, maybe serial numbered, with the whole CIB treatment (yes a real printed box). Due to the small market, and time involved, it would be a limited run of maybe 20, depending on demand I suppose. I'm not sure if all this would be looked at as a positive or a negative though. Maybe make some additional un-boxed 'plain vanilla' ones available too?

I'd like one but I don't want to hack up my only pair of FB controllers. I have extra regular Inty and SVA controllers though..

Unfortunately, due to the design of the original / Sears controllers, and the way the internal circuit matrices connect to the wires, there isn't really a viable option to make this all fit inside the controller housing using them.

That's why I went with the Flashback controllers; that and the fact that I found it much less 'offensive' as a lifelong fan and collector of the system to alter one of these over an original controller.

And... the Flashback controllers are actually (shockingly!) the best Intellivision controllers to date - from a performance / comfort standpoint (in my opinion).

I may be making a handful of Dual Action controllers using some of my spare Flashback controllers, but I don't currently have that many. Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to 'donate' two of your own to get one, since AT Games never made spares available.

You got it, Chris!

...in before Rev.

Impressive.

Wait ....what? Unless he was sending you a pm the whole time Cmart was never a part of this thread and many others, I believe Mr. Intv was #1 at saying he wanted one.

I will put in for #last. Whatever that is, I just want one at some point. Thanks!

Wait ....what? Unless he was sending you a pm the whole time Cmart was never a part of this thread and many others, I believe Mr. Intv was #1 at saying he wanted one.

I will put in for #last. Whatever that is, I just want one at some point. Thanks!

Heh heh.. I don't even know if this is going to happen yet, Dale (and yes, for the record, Cmart has been PMing me). I think he can actually SMELL Intellivision items that will potentially have serial numbers - even before they do.

But given what you pointed out with regard to actual thread posts, maybe the numbering idea is a bad one.. or maybe they will all be # 01! Or maybe it's a random pick who gets what? I know... a Frog Bog competition to decide! (oh wait, that was CGE)...

I was making some more Flashback adapters today, and decided to plug the Dual Action Controller into two Flashback adapters, and then into one of my Colecovision Y-adapters, and then into port one of an Intellivision. As expected, it works just like a normal controller would. So, if you do end up getting one of these, and decide you just want it to work like a normal controller again, all you need is a Y-adapter. Just sayin'...

:-D

• Like 3

I found me a Flashback for a cheap price today so I will be taking you up on this. I'm ready to play some TRON Deadly Discs.

I guess I will need one more Intellivision/Flashback converter cable too in this scenario.

Edited by doctorclu

Still working out some details - how to package / present this. As far as cost... That's the tough one. I want the price to be fair, but I have to take into account the amount of time involved to make the controllers - and whether or not they will be boxed, branded, etc.

In the mean time, I'm keeping a running list from PMs. So send me one if you want to be added to the list.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Of course I'll need one. LOL

Next we need a reversing controller with a Coleco Flashback on top and Intellivision Disk on bottom with keypad in the middle.

Edited by BBWW
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to your detailed pictures, I was able to make my own Dual Action Controller. I ended up using some thin clear packing tape to mask off the disc / side button matrix on one membrane and the keypad matrix on the other. Unfortunately I ended up having to use three FB controllers after a screwup - doh! Hopefully someone will be selling FB's for $20 again in the future so I can stock up on some controllers... The biggest pain was soldering all those tiny wires to the connector pins and then trying to fit the two connectors into the controller. It's worth it though - being able to run and gun works slick!

• Like 1

OK, guys. Update time.

I know some of you have already sent me PMs about getting one of these, and I will be responding soon. In the mean time, some details:

The Dual Action controller will come in a plastic case. It's not hard brittle plastic, but more like soft translucent plastic (think Rubbermaid / Tupperware type plastic). The lid snaps closed on one side - with 2 clasps - and hinges open on the other side. It measures 7-7/8" length x 5-3/4" width x 1-1/4" height.

There will be custom artwork, front and back.

The controllers will NOT be serial numbered.

There may or may not be some sort of branding / etching on the controller to mark it as a Dual Action Controller (I haven't sorted out the best way to make this work yet, and I'm thinking it may not be worth doing). If I do add something the prices below will remain the same.

The prices:

$70.00 - You ship me 2 Flashback controllers, and you receive one Dual Action Controller

* price includes return shipping to USA addresses. International shipping add $5.00 to $10.00 depending on destination.

$100.00 - I supply the 2 Flashback controllers, and you receive one Dual Action Controller (VERY LIMITED SUPPLY!)

* price includes return shipping to USA addresses. International shipping add $5.00 to $10.00 depending on destination.

If you don't want the box, the price is $64.00 / $94.00 with shipping as described above.

I don't currently have the artwork ready, but will post pictures once I do - of the box, etc.

Please PM and / or reply here if interested.

EDIT: These are wired to work out of the box with the Intellivision Flashback. I figure pretty much everyone here who is interested in this controller already has Flashback adapter cables. But if you don't, I'll make the adapter cables (for the Intellivision II/Sears and for the original 'hard wired' consoles) available at a bundled/discounted price with the purchase of your Dual Action Controller.

Note: I may eventually start another thread for this, based on response / interest, but if I do, I will post the link to the new thread here.

Edited by nurmix