IGNORED

NIB Atari 2600 Heavy Sixer Question

Carlstew123

Only thing I really hated about the boxes for the light sixer was that they featured a picture of the heavy sixer on the box which was often misleading, even wiorse YET was when the 4 switch models came out and they converted the heavy sixer graphic to a 4 switch heavy, which doesn't exist, again very misleading so it kinda misrepresents what is actually INSIDE the box :P

Did you actually feel that way BITD? Because I didn't and I'd be surprised if very many consumers even really registered it.

Only thing I really hated about the boxes for the light sixer was that they featured a picture of the heavy sixer on the box which was often misleading, even wiorse YET was when the 4 switch models came out and they converted the heavy sixer graphic to a 4 switch heavy, which doesn't exist, again very misleading so it kinda misrepresents what is actually INSIDE the box :P

I was under the impression that the true Heavy Sixer BOXES did not display the serial number on the actual box.

That is not to say that Heavy Sixers did not have serial numbers, they just didn't display them on the box.

Coupled with the fact that Atari featured the heavy sixer on the light sixer box, I venture to say it is a light sixer.

I was under the impression that the true Heavy Sixer BOXES did not display the serial number on the actual box.

That is not to say that Heavy Sixers did not have serial numbers, they just didn't display them on the box.

Coupled with the fact that Atari featured the heavy sixer on the light sixer box, I venture to say it is a light sixer.

You VENTURE to say? ;) :

post-2131-0-52998300-1440626066.jpg

• Like 1

Correct. Most Heavies were in Sunnyvale until the last month or 2 of it's production in July-August 1978. These models were manufactured in Taiwan.

The Sunnyvale, CA heavy sixer from 1977 and 1978 is most desired for many reasons, it is the first model, it was made in the U.S.A., it has the best clear rich vibrant color RF output, the later the version the more cost-cutting in parts and design was made resulting in washed out picture and interference.

I even have a light sixer from Sunnyvale, CA, and have seen pictures of a light four switch from Sunnyvale, CA.

As said, it still valuable as a sealed overseas manufactured Atari, it just wouldn't get the insane price a CIB 1977 would bring.

Your box says Copyright 1978 so the system could be from 1978, 1979 or later depending on how long they used up that stock.

I see the feedback is mixed. I see some responses swaying towards the lighter version. I see where some of the comments are saying the year on the box may not be accurate, but if that is the case is it safe to assume this is a heavy sixer because it was made in Taiwan, and not Hong Kong?

Is the comment about the serial number on the outside of the box is not true for heavy sixers via Sunny or Taiwan?

I just about guarantee that, if you were in the market, someone on here would put a package together for you... Console, sticks, and some good commons at an affordable price.

Thank you for sharing your treasure with us. :)

Thanks Opry99er for the comment. I'm sure if I wouldn't of posted pics I would of been the jacka$$ noob talk of the week. LOL

Thanks Opry99er for the comment. I'm sure if I wouldn't of posted pics I would of been the jacka$$ noob talk of the week. LOL

Yea... Natalie would have had some competition. You have escaped the ShatKittyBikeTriangle barrage...

And to me, treasures are anything that I 'treasure". I treasure my old rusty tarnished Wico ball-top joystick, therefore it is a treasure.

You have a mint boxed 6 switch 2600... Many would treasure such a find, myself included. I hope you keep it safe and secure.

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 1

I do have a heavy-sixer manufactured in Taiwan but the serial number is different

pics here

the box I have DOEN'T have the chess peice & unfortunatly doesn't have the serial # either (..so theres a possability it's a different box )

the serial # on the OP's box seems similar to the ones in the light sixer-list here

the value should be placed, that it was a special gift given by your sons Grandpa ... I would think the decision to open it would be between the two of them at some future point in your sons life and it would be special for you as well I would hope

perhaps he'll choose not to open it & give it to your grandchildren ...either way I'm sure he'll be playing some Atari & having a great time with all of you :)

I do have a heavy-sixer manufactured in Taiwan but the serial number is different

pics here

the box I have DOEN'T have the chess peice & unfortunatly doesn't have the serial # either (..so theres a possability it's a different box )

the serial # on the OP's box seems similar to the ones in the light sixer-list here

the value should be placed, that it was a special gift given by your sons Grandpa ... I would think the decision to open it would be between the two of them at some future point in your sons life and it would be special for you as well I would hope

perhaps he'll choose not to open it & give it to your grandchildren ...either way I'm sure he'll be playing some Atari & having a great time with all of you :)

Thanks for the links, and the info about your system. Very interesting about the serial #s. I will eventually pass this down to my son, but I will get an open Atari first so he can experience the old school greatness first.

Yea... Natalie would have had some competition. You have escaped the ShatKittyBikeTriangle barrage...

And to me, treasures are anything that I 'treasure". I treasure my old rusty tarnished Wico ball-top joystick, therefore it is a treasure.

You have a mint boxed 6 switch 2600... Many would treasure such a find, myself included. I hope you keep it safe and secure.

Havent seen Natalie, but I would like to see what was posted on the one you are referring to.

^^^ Marketplace forum, "Atari 2600 New in Box with Unopened PACMAN" ^^^

Make sure you have a couple hours to read and don't drink any soda when you get to where bennybingo jumped into the mix... Soda, nose, keyboard... bad combination.

OMG!

That Natalie fella or gal that posted that topic was hilarious! I wish I would of been a part of the group back then so I could of seen the but hurt take place!

Edited by Carlstew123
  • Like 4

First of all I never got to say welcome to atariage!!! :) All newcomers have to know the infamous story and legend of "backin89". You need to see the backin89 and airgames threads. You need to see these threads. Trust me it's a MUST READ!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232173-atari-2600-vcs-incredible-hulk-parker-brothers-sealed/page-1?hl=+airgames

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173247-help-me-get-my-daughter-a-bike-for-christmas/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174216-need-donations-to-help-a-poor-dude/

• Like 3

First of all I never got to say welcome to atariage!!! :) All newcomers have to know the infamous story and legend of "backin89". You need to see the backin89 and airgames threads. You need to see these threads. Trust me it's a MUST READ!!

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232173-atari-2600-vcs-incredible-hulk-parker-brothers-sealed/page-1?hl=+airgames

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173247-help-me-get-my-daughter-a-bike-for-christmas/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/174216-need-donations-to-help-a-poor-dude/

Thanks for the welcome, and sharing the threads. They are classic!

• Like 1

So, I've been laughing all morning, going through 35+ linked-to pages of hilarity. I get the bike, I get the crackpipe, I get the Hulk, and I get Hello Kitty.

And it's not to say I don't love it (I'm a big fan of pork products... like HAM)... but what's with the Shat?

Is there a reference there I'm missing, other than his inherent hilarity?

(I also realize I'm asking to be Shat on for inquiring.)

... also, please send me money or buy my broken Vader for $20,000. Or go to hell.

(You poopyheads.)

Edited by mikey.shake