IGNORED

How many of us "geezers" are down with the Retro VGS?

Austin

The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)  

74 members have voted

1. 1. The Retro VGS. Do you think it is awesome? (Yes or no...)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I was on the fence even if it was at a down to earth price of $150-200.... just don't know if I want to dedicate the space, and money to another console... but by making it so astronomically expensive, they made my decision easy. I will be watching the kickstarter closely just out of curiosity.

If this generation is any indication, broadband access isn't even going to be the -biggest- concern for a console being stupid enough to try to go all digital.

Consider this generation, where games are already in the range of 30-40gigs - EVERY game needs to be installed to be played.

That's because developers don't know how or don't bother to compress their shit anymore. But I dunno. I have a 128 Gig Flash Drive expanding my Wii-U. Which by the way there are no mandatory installs except for update data. I buy all my retail games on disc. But I did Download Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as my final Club Nintendo Platinum hurrah and it's pretty huge for a 2D game. Gorgeous though. I need to play it more.

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

That's because developers don't know how or don't bother to compress their shit anymore.

Actually, not true, we compress the shit out of game data (so does every other developer), otherwise games wouldn't even fit on BluRay. ;)

Just think about it, an uncompressed 1024 x 1024 texture, is 4MB. You know how fast that adds up? Some textures these days are 2048 x 2048, which would be 16MB. Nobody does that.

Many games decompress data on the fly (think open world streaming).

• Like 1

Actually, not true, we compress the shit out of game data (so does every other developer), otherwise games wouldn't even fit on BluRay. ;)

Just think about it, an uncompressed 1024 x 1024 texture, is 4MB. You know how fast that adds up? Some textures these days are 2048 x 2048, which would be 16MB. Nobody does that.

Many games decompress data on the fly (think open world streaming).

Well when a 3D open world game like Super Mario 3D World is actually smaller than a 2D game like Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, something's up with that. I thought 3D games were normally massive, yet a lot of 2D indie games are just as big if not bigger than most 1st party titles. DK Tropical Freeze is a notable exception for Nintendo but the graphics in that game are gorgeous and it does have 3D rendered elements.

Edited by stardust4ever

Well when a 3D open world game like Super Mario 3D World is actually smaller than a 2D game like Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams, something's up with that. I thought 3D games were normally massive, yet a lot of 2D indie games are just as big if not bigger than most 1st party titles. DK Tropical Freeze is a notable exception for Nintendo but the graphics in that game are gorgeous and it does have 3D rendered elements.

When you look at a Nintendo 3D game, the texture work is nearly non-existent compared to other modern efforts. Nintendo likes very simple, clean visuals with a glossy shine/reflective quality. The texture work in general in their 3D games is relatively flat, and as such my guess is the textures are far smaller in size than what you get in something like, say, MGS V.

Yeah, I think MArio games in general reuse assets from one level to another. 3D world is essentially built on a grid like every 2D game in existence, and nearly every object is reused in other levels. Maybe the Savanna stage is an exception with it's wide open field. Bump textures like grass are probably tiled too. You can get a mottled orange peel like texture to tile flawlessly across an infinite plane just like bricks and noone will notice the seams. Same with the dirt walls being tiled, at least horizontally. The light and dark horizontal layers in the exposed soil basically oscillate like sine waves on the vertical axis. In the underground, you have bricks repeated ad infinitum. But I love the HD sparkles. Nintendo can make some pretty breathtaking HD visuals with limited resources. Just look at the circus themed Bowser World.

Their minimalist approach is really brilliant. The games look every bit as detailed as anything you would find on PS4 or Xbone, and the fact the textures are part of an infinite tiling don't matter. But look at the other games like Mario Kart. The worlds are organic and colorful and packed full of HD detail.

Edited by stardust4ever

If by "packed full of detail" you mean, "looking like a Game Cube game, but in HD", then sure. ;)

Why are people still comparing Wii-U to the Game Cube?

"Wii was just an overclocked Game Cube with waggle controls."

"Wii-U is just an HD Game Cube with a tablet."

Really? :???:

The same argument could be made of the PS4. Same "Dual Shock" controller design for 4 generations. PS1 played CD. PS2 played DVD. PS3 played BluRay. PS4 makes waffles. Rinse and repeat. Not really seeing the innovation at all...

Edited by stardust4ever

Why are people still comparing Wii-U to the Game Cube?

"Wii was just an overclocked Game Cube with waggle controls."

"Wii-U is just an HD Game Cube with a tablet."

Really? :???:

The same argument could be made of the PS4. Same "Dual Shock" controller design for 4 generations. PS1 played CD. PS2 played DVD. PS3 played BluRay. PS4 makes waffles. Rinse and repeat. Not really seeing the innovation at all...

:lol:

• Like 1

Maybe some people won't consider it modern but I recently came across a copy of GTA SA for PS2 at a yard sale. So I remember hearing some buzz about that game a while back and I thought I would check it out finally.

So I am in game in my underwear driving an elcamino around Liberty City flipping stations on the radio and laughing at the country music channel when I realize this is not a game. It is a life.

Amazing but who has time for this stuff?

Yes, but that's the beauty of modern gaming. You have everything from quick time wasters to epic simulations, and there's no reason not to think it will continue to get better. We had EXACTLY the same types of/range of games in the past, only within the constraints of the technology at the time.

• Like 1

Now that enough information is out there.. I can't wait till later this evening when we finally decide if we support this project. Not just for 1 console but for many, gifts and giveaways and that sort of thing. And of course 1 for us. If it was just that 1 console it'd be easy. But multiples? Not so easy.

Now that enough information is out there.. I can't wait till later this evening when we finally decide if we support this project. Not just for 1 console but for many, gifts and giveaways and that sort of thing. And of course 1 for us. If it was just that 1 console it'd be easy. But multiples? Not so easy.

You would massively support this even though they changed hardware, burned bridges with their only FPGA guy and their business plan seems to be similar to the Underpants Gnomes' plan?

post-39941-0-26361600-1442757506_thumb.jpg

• Like 3