IGNORED

Sprint 1 ported to the Atari 800XL

norbert_kehrer

Hi,

similar to my earlier conversion of Asteroids, I made a port of the old, but very nice car-racing game Sprint, which was originally written by Atari back in 1976 (Sprint 2 for two players) and in 1978 (Sprint1 for one player), respectively.

I ported the game to the Atari 800XL computer by just running the orignal arcade game program on the Atari. The arcade machine's video and sound hardware are emulated by specific Atari 800 XL routines.

The xex and atr files are attached below.

You can read more on my homepage at http://members.aon.at/nkehrer

Here is a screenshots of the running game:

game2.png

Have fun!

Norbert

sprint1.xex

sprint1.atr

• Like 26

These conversions have a sort of emulation layer, usually some translation needs to be done like graphic mapping, controller input and sounds.

Generally this means that lots of frame time comes in handy and PAL has a big advantage there. Control input and sound is usually fairly trivial in CPU time terms but graphics can potentially be a huge resource hog.

The alternative for NTSC might be like for Yoomp - reduce the framerate.

Whether that would work on this game, no idea.

Norbert, you do some very nice work. Thanks so much for releasing this to the community. Do you have plans for any other early Arcade game ports to the A8?

I see that you also did a YM player for the 64. With Ivop's Sid Player and your software could we could play ST YMs on an A8?

Edited by griz

Hi,

thanks to all for the nice feedback. Especially, for the reporting of the issue with NTSC machines.

I will try to fix it and post an updated version. I suspect, it has something to do with the VCOUNT register, that I use in my code (it holds the currently processed raster line of the Atari 800, which has different values for NTSC and PAL machines).

So long

Norbert

• Like 6

Works perfectly, in fact the enemy racers are super fast.... game had steering wheels, perhaps drive controller or paddle candidate....

multijoy candidate? I just played 3 games but did not test much further.... I got my ntsc butt handed to me!

gas..... up to shift left right right right oh crap crash! I will win... I'm going the distance... I'm going for speed!

this kicks a**

Nice job

Sprint 4 is a pretty cool incarnation of this game too. It doesn't have the oil slicks, but it uses larger, colorful single color car sprites, and it's a little more fair dealing with collisions, in that the opponent drivers will lose control when they hit or get hit by you as well. It looks like it was designed in cocktail mode and has 4 player support too. So probably the reason for having the fairness in collisions, but it does so even when no human opponents are playing.

Edited by MrFish

Nice work again Norbert :thumbsup: This is bound to feature in the High Score Club at some point this season but first I must do something about my Granny rating... I have a reputation to uphold :-D perhaps the cars images could be tweaked at some point. I remember playing this or something very similar at the arcades but didn't remember the track changing after each lap :ponder: