IGNORED

"Final Fantasy 7" is 18 years old

mbd30

May need to find my copy of FF7. I've been playing catch up on FF series, some that I hadn't played this millennium. FF1 and FF2 Anniversary edition for PSP were very nice. Then emulator on PSP for the next few FF's.

I noticed that PSP has FF7, are they based on original FF7 with enhancement or is it spinoff that is different from original? Not looking forward to digging out battery pack for my PSOne and rebuilding it to play FF7 on the road.

Haha, I still remember my buddy calling me after he got home from the store to come check it out. It holds up fairly well today I think. It had one of the most realized Final Fantasy universes but the real achievement of the game was its score. The music is simply beautiful. This game really caught peoples imaginations. I remember I did the role-playing chatrooms on AOL and after FF7 came out, EVERYONE wanted to be a freaking FF7 character.

FF7 was the reason my brother and I went in together to buy a Playstation. Seems like yesterday. What's even harder for me to fathom is that the Sega Genesis is 26 years old. Somewhere, someone is doing (or has done) a study on age and our perception of time.

Well it might boil down to the fact that we play those games or at least the systems on a regular basis. we get games that we never played before, weither they are originals or homebrews.

So there isn't the "distance" the we should have with "things from the past" since it's always in the present.

Also when we were youger, time seemed very long, and the 4 years intervals between the Super Nintendo/Megadrive; the PS1/Saturn/N64; the Dreamcast/PS2/XboX/GameCube and the PS3/Wii/Xbox360 seemed a bit long. Then lastly , there had been a 7 years old gap between the HD era and the next-gen. So it probably messed up our feeling about console releases.

On the other hand, think about your very first car. If you had a car around this time (18 years ago then), it was probably not the latest model either. It was probabl already outdated by a large margin, probably already as old as you were. Now if you think about this car, unless you kept it until now... It does feel outdated and being a "thing from the past".

Edited by CatPix

This was the game that finally made me want to own a Playstation and come back to console gaming. I wasn't big on RPGs at the time but playing the demo at EB Games it was really cool and easy to pick up on. Plus the 3D graphics and real time battle system gave it an action like feel. There were a couple guys watching me play and they thought it was a fighting game! :D

Lots of fond memories playing it that year, there's just way too much stuff to describe like the music and mood of the story. I got the Steam version but it doesn't feel the same (the 3D models are 1080p but the backgrounds & cutscenes are still stuck at 240p) because it looks so disjointed. I'm really hoping the FF7 Remake will come to the PC...

This was the game that got me back into console gaming circa 1997.

Actually I have to give credit to Resident Evil which actually made me decide to buy the console but everyone I knew was playing FF7 and when I got into it I couldn't stop I was playing consoles again.

I used to buy this "independent" magazine back then called PSM where they would give you these cover stickers etc. Good times back then and fond memories.

Happy Birthday Playstation...20 years ago today.

• Like 1

Finished this game on a PC with an AMD K6-2 and Nvidia Riva 128. Loved it and am happy to have experienced it in its era. I recently installed it on a retro build from my original retail copy. Looks even better with a Voodoo 3 and sounds great with AWE32 wavetable synth.

Fifteen years later, I fired it up on a PS1 for the first time. So much easier, but the PC version offers a superior experience.

FF7 was the reason my brother and I went in together to buy a Playstation. Seems like yesterday. What's even harder for me to fathom is that the Sega Genesis is 26 years old. Somewhere, someone is doing (or has done) a study on age and our perception of time.

I think it's been done for centuries. "Time flies when you're having fun"

Somewhere, someone is doing (or has done) a study on age and our perception of time.

My (unscientific) theory is that people perceive time as moving faster as they age because our perception of time is relative, like our other senses. A unit of time is a smaller percentage your lifespan (the only thing we can gauge against) as you get older. When you're five years old a week seems like forever, because it's 1/260th of your life. When you're 30 years old one a week is 1/1560th of your life. That feels faster.

Carry on...

May need to find my copy of FF7. I've been playing catch up on FF series, some that I hadn't played this millennium. FF1 and FF2 Anniversary edition for PSP were very nice. Then emulator on PSP for the next few FF's.

I noticed that PSP has FF7, are they based on original FF7 with enhancement or is it spinoff that is different from original? Not looking forward to digging out battery pack for my PSOne and rebuilding it to play FF7 on the road.

I believe the PSP playable FF7 is simply a digital version of the PS1 game. It is also downloadable and playable on the PS3 and the PS Vita. Great game to have for a handheld console. I played it all the way through when it first came on for the PS1 and never got around to playing any of it again, however I did buy the digital copy for the Vita so that I could have it available and have save games near the mini-games and card games.

The "remake" version of FF7 coming out for PS4 should be awesome as it not only updates the graphics but has new gameplay components as well. Really great when familiar favorites get new life breathed into them in this way. :)

Troy

I didn't play Final Fantasy VII until a few years later myself... Great game but not quite the best. (Still a lotta fun though!)

Only other thing to add here...

*insert obligatory you can bang it now age* joke

OR IF YOU PREFER

*insert obligatory it can finally vote age* joke

You forgot

*insert obligatory it can drink now (outside of the US) age* joke

:D

• Like 1

I preordered this at Target. Got a free TShirt for doing so. Still have the shirt, but a friend lost the game long ago. :mad: (pic of shirt is complete potato pic, sorry... need to take some better pictures of it)

d5f6kvE.jpg

I remember this! I didn't pre-order the game, I had friends who were constantly playing it and I eventually got it that same year but a buddy of mine had this shirt. It's very well made if I remember with the logo on the front.

I remember this! I didn't pre-order the game, I had friends who were constantly playing it and I eventually got it that same year but a buddy of mine had this shirt. It's very well made if I remember with the logo on the front.

Yep, FFVII logo on front left breast and SquareSoft logo on sleeve. Mine has been worn a lot. I finally put it in storage so it wouldn't get too worn out.

I never got the shirt but I did get something nice: a store display that used lenticular art to show FF9 and one other game, it was set in a cardboard shaped like oval portal. Sold it on eBay some years later. IIRC it came in 2 sized: huge floor display and small countertop display.

Edited by 7800fan