IGNORED

Best home console port of Galaga?

Best home console version of Galaga  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best home console port of Galaga?

• NES
    • TG-16 Galaga '90

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I play and enjoy both. I kind of prefer the smaller player sprites in the 7800 version, though. I have a memory of my friend having a 7800 Galaga marathon at our house and getting a high score. I don't remember what the score was (he may have rolled it) or what wave he made it to, but supper-time came around so we paused the game, ate, and went back...to a black screen. Not knowing anything about this "screen saver" feature of the 7800 and thinking the game "died", we shut it off. I don't have any memories of NES Galaga, but I appreciate its accuracy as a port. For nostalgia and small player sprites, I'll play the 7800 version. When I want arcade accuracy, I'll play NES.

The programmers behind the Atari 7800 port did a good job, this is no half-baked poor-man's version. However, all they probably had was a license to port the program and access to an arcade cabinet. Namco appears to have done its port of Galaga for the Famicom and NES in-house. That may have allowed them access to schematics, source code, design documents, hardware, binary files, essentially everything they could have to make the best recreation given the hardware they had.

I'm sure this is true, pretty sure at the time most western made ports of Japanese games were done without any code art or documentation,

• 3 weeks later...

the first thing that popped into my head when i read the title of this post was Galaga 90. the tg-16 port to me is identical to the arcade version. i was pleasantly surprised it has been included in the poll. like the turbografx itself, this game does not fit nicely into categories. thats what we are drawn to.

I actually bought it on the 'Bay shortly after starting this thread. It beloned in my collection! I played it a couple weeks ago and it was an absolute blast. I made it that close to beating the first boss (or was it the second?), but I was playing on the HDTV. Gotta do it again on my CRT to eliminate lag. :P

I'm sure this is true, pretty sure at the time most western made ports of Japanese games were done without any code art or documentation,

And you'd be right.

I've read, long time ago, an intervriew from programmers that developed some arcade prots on CPC, they said that all they had was the rights for the name, and pictures. They had to go themselves into an arcade room and take shots of the game, then recreate all of it.

On some games they used ZX Spectrum code as a basis and added better graphisms all over it.

And it had to be made in 4 or 6 weeks.

Edited by CatPix