IGNORED

Favorite video game Game Over screens.

In video games there comes a time we fail and can't complete the quest to save the world, save the damsel in distress, lose in a sports game or a race, can't complete it in a certain time, etc. Well there are some Game Over screens that are quite memorable like the infamous Zelda 2 "Return of Ganon", Kid Icarus "I'm finished", etc. What are your favorites? Mine has to be from Missle Command. In the coin op version if all six of your cities get bombed. You get a red screen with a circle zoomed in with flashing effects of your destroyed city with "THE END" appearing. I find it to be the most iconic game over screen and really groundbreaking in 1980-1981.

• Like 5

You only get the iconic Missile Command ending if you did so poorly as to not place on the high score list. In an arcade with good players who have already filled the list with very high scores, this doesn't mean you did poorly, but if the game has just been turned on, you have to be really bad at the game to not place on the default list.

I actually like the ending to the 2600 version of Missile Command. That sound of the incoming final missile makes me imagine little pixelated guys jumping out of their command posts to try and save themselves before the final explosion.

Off the top of my head, a couple other games with satisfying game over screens are Ninja Gaiden II (I like the snippet of music it plays) and Contra (again, the music).

• Like 1

My favorites from what I can remember. Memory is failing :(

Missile Command (Arcade and Atari 2600)

Wargames (Colecovision)

DEFCON 1 Counterstrike game over sequence and game over screen.

Battlezone/Robot Tank (Arcade Atari 2600)

Just love the cracked messed up screen of your tank.

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

sssnaaake!

Street Fighter II (Arcade etc)

Final Fight 2 or 3 (can't remember, the one with the spikes or bombs that kill you if you don't hit continue)

Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)

saw blade!

Snokie (offbeat C64 game)

When you die a small skull floats up and winks at you.

Dragons Lair (Arcade)

Just cool seeing Dirk melt into a pile of bones.

Zork (Computers)

When you sit around in a dark place.

I always liked games like Impossible Mission, Gorf or Wizard of Wor that made comments if you failed. :)

My favorites from what I can remember. Memory is failing :(

Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

sssnaaake!

Ahhh! How can I forget that one? I even incorporated those sounds into my alarm system recently if you fail to enter the passcode in time. It would seem my memory isn't what it used to be as well. I wish humans came with memory cards. I'd swap mine out for a different one and hope my brain still sees that I like Castlevania.