IGNORED

Should I buy a Jaguar CD?

retrogamer73

I've been on the fence for years about getting a Jaguar CD. There's several games I would love to play like Vid Grid, Battlemorph, Iron Soldier 2, and Superfly DX. But I'm not entirely sure if I should take the plunge.

The cost for a system these days is higher than ever, and the games I want would be another $100+ on top of it. I know you can burn Jag CD games, but am not sure how many tries it would take for a successful burn.

The thought of owning a Jag CD enters my mind on a fairly regular basis anymore. Best Electronics still sells the reconditioned players for a good price, and I've been thinking about buying one from there.

Is it worth it? Are the games truly enjoyable?

Edited by retrogamer73

I got one in the last year. The main satisfaction I get from it, it that I think the unit itself looks cool, and I'm super chuffed to own a super rare piece of gaming history. I acquired several games for it, but many of the original games did not do much for me (blue lightning, hoverstrike, primal rage) or had really awful gameplay (I found primal rage to have gamebreaking hitbox issues and significant input lag).

It is cool to be able to check out some of the homebrew, but the homebrew alone does not keep me occupied much. I enjoyed checking out the prototype games such as Native and Soulstar, but the prototypes were not games I would come back to play repeatedly. When playing Jaguar, the vast majority of the time I still find myself plugging in cartridges such as Raiden or Wolfenstein for some quick arcade style gameplay. I do not regret puchasing the Jag CD by any means, but most of my satisfaction is just from seeing it and enjoying that I have the capability to do stuff with it, rather than playing Jag CD games.

You could always buy one, check out the games for awhile to satisfy your curiosity and get the full retail Jaguar experience, and if you do not want to continue owning it, throw it on ebay or in the marketplace here and get your money (or close to it) back. I wouldn't worry about making bad burns, I'm no jag cd expert and I don't have any special CDrs, and anything that I burned worked first try. This could be contingent on the strength of your laser though, as my 3DO cannot read the same burned discs without severe glitches and stuttering sound and FMV.

Edited by sirlynxalot

I got one this year, maybe in April, and I started collecting in January. My first promise was not to buy it, since I'm no CD game you, who grew up despising PS and all that that changed it for us, true Neo fans.

But, I got one form a Norwegian guy selling them NIB at a good price. The thing is, its too easy to collect for Jaguar, especially if you got the extra cash needed. (I don't anymore, so the jet set life is more or less over after circa 4000 USD thrown into this hole.) If I enjoy owning the CD add-on. Yes. I've played the official games some, not that much, but the indie scene opens up, and as I see it half the stuff, or more, are only CD releases.

Yes, I too think it looks cool. I like the "multimedia" combo of carts and cd:s, as I also enjoy the very limited by great use of the JagLink. I think I have the entire official Jaguar experience at my home, and don't miss out or need to think "what if".

CD is not that bad, though the old stuff seem to be very unreliable and system failing reading disks, as the Jag CD is known for and as the 3DO is know for.

It is taking a chance - it might get broke on the way over to you - and it costs a lot. I haven't regret it, that's for sure. What would I've put the money on instead, a pair of slick jeans? New expensive boots? Kimonos? Buy a new car, and repair it?

That's the "logic" behind my purchase, and I'm close to picking up a 3DO next, just to go CD primal all the way (already got Amiga CD32). I prefer the obscure systems before old Nintendo and Sega. That's me. Call me crazy, I - Jaguar optimist - got no friends anyhow! :D

If you can afford it I say get one. I got my Jag CD before the retro boom occurred but I could never afford one now. Is it worth it? Of the official released games there are maybe 3 games that I think are good. The homebrew games are the main reason for owning the Jag CD IMO so yes it is worth it and I could not imagine having a Jaguar without the Jag CD.

Edited by LynxJagLunatic

I've been on the fence for years about getting a Jaguar CD......

The thought of owning a Jag CD enters my mind on a fairly regular basis anymore....

Seems like you have a demon to slay!

Battlemorph and Iron Soldier II (not the gimped cart version), are two of the best games on the Jaguar. Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands is also leagues better than the original Hover Strike on cart. Personally, I'm one of those that enjoyed Blue Lightning and Highlander, but both those games are hit or miss with people. There is also the VLM and a large portion of the recent and future releases are on CD.

Edited by Major Havoc 2049

If you have the chance to get one at a "decent" price, it's well worth it in my opinion. I really like BattleMorph, Iron Soldier II and of course my favorite Jaguar game, World Tour Racing. Can't live without that one. Man, I'd love a new F1 racing game on cart using something similar to the Super Burnout engine! Also, as others have stated, the VLM is a nifty little perk that is fun to tinker with.

Carl keeps selling out of WTR and IS2 CD. Decent demand.

And I still need to replace my copy.

Yeah, got another copy of WTR just in case. Need to make sure I have everything I can WTR related. I've been obsessed with that game since it's original release. Actually playing it right now! And it's 2:30 am here. I might as well stay up to make sure I catch the Singapore GP and don't sleep through it.

I will say got the jag cd never have had an issue with it has worked great anything officially made for it works but ive never been able to get homebrews to burn on a cd and load up...probably a step im not doing...oh well.

as a system jag cd is hard to recommend it has like 8 officially released games 3 of wich came with the system.....another 3 are laserdisk games dragons lair, space ace, and the impossible to find braindead 13.

then you got myst and the awful highlander.

leaving 3 games primal rage, hoverstrike 2, and battlemorph....all 3 ok games showing the jag could pull off early ps1 games but none are good enough to buy the system for

iron solider 2 is available but also on cart also world tour racing which im told is a solid racer.

that being said you are most likely buying it for coolness value...it has that

Seems like you have a demon to slay!

Battlemorph and Iron Soldier II (not the gimped cart version), are two of the best games on the Jaguar. Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands is also leagues better than the original Hover Strike on cart. Personally, I'm one of those that enjoyed Blue Lightning and Highlander, but both those games are hit or miss with people. There is also the VLM and a large portion of the recent and future releases are on CD.

I'm with him on this one. Half my favorite games are on the jag cd and i sold it about a decade ago and regretted it. i replaced it as soon as i could. i refuse to own a jag without the cd for the games mentioned above and wtr, one of my all-time fave racers. i almost always play cd music with the jag cd's vlm too. and with reboot's uls loader i get most homebrews on cdr. the jag, to me, is only half a console without the jag cd.

Look at it this way. The original question at some point was "should I get an Atari Jaguar." The answer to that for any sane person would be NO. But since for you it was yes, the next logical progression to get a little further down the rabbit hole is to enthusiastically take on the task of acquiring a Jag CD.

• Like 1

I will say got the jag cd never have had an issue with it has worked great anything officially made for it works but ive never been able to get homebrews to burn on a cd and load up...probably a step im not doing...oh well.

as a system jag cd is hard to recommend it has like 8 officially released games 3 of wich came with the system.....another 3 are laserdisk games dragons lair, space ace, and the impossible to find braindead 13.

then you got myst and the awful highlander.

leaving 3 games primal rage, hoverstrike 2, and battlemorph....all 3 ok games showing the jag could pull off early ps1 games but none are good enough to buy the system for

iron solider 2 is available but also on cart also world tour racing which im told is a solid racer.

that being said you are most likely buying it for coolness value...it has that

Try running one of the official releases for a couple minutes. Then shut it off and try the burned CDs and see if that helps.

Everyone keeps forgetting Robinsons Requiem for the CD player. That's a good game.

Everyone keeps forgetting Robinsons Requiem for the CD player. That's a good game.

Is it? =)

It more of a oddball, and only - yes you - few would mention on a short list of good titles.

I have it, must give it some more play time. It's kind of cool with a low-fi (opposite to sci-fi) fps adventure game, focused on survival and getting home. Like that concept.

Probably because it's not most peoples cup of tea. ;)

I see more people interested in getting Checkered Flag or World Tour Racing to play properly. Tweaks, hints and tips. Rather see games like Soulstar and Native finished. <sigh>

• Like 1

Is it? =)

It more of a oddball, and only - yes you - few would mention on a short list of good titles.

I have it, must give it some more play time. It's kind of cool with a low-fi (opposite to sci-fi) fps adventure game, focused on survival and getting home. Like that concept.

well hell I stand corrected

I see more people interested in getting Checkered Flag or World Tour Racing to play properly. Tweaks, hints and tips. Rather see games like Soulstar and Native finished. <sigh>

SoulStar and Native finished would be fantastic. Really enjoy SoulStar even in it's unfinished form. Native could have been pretty amazing in my opinion. World Tour Racing is awesome! :grin:

Well, you know who you have to thank for Soulstar not being available.

It's not worth the risk to put it out.