2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

21aqbc.jpg
Your point is that you don't understand the law. Just because someone can use something illegally does not make that thing illegal. Period. For something to be illegal there needs to be a law saying it is illegal. And in this case there is a SUPREME COURT RULING THAT APPLIES TO THE ENTIRE U.S. which states that as long as the mod can not operate without the original work it is not a violation of copyright because if someone tried to use it without the original works it wouldn't operate and how they get those works is their responsibility which means if they take it for free THEY WOULD BE BREAKING THE LAW aka stealing. THEM, THE USER, NOT THE PERSON THAT MADE THE MOD.

If someone sells a dvd burner they are not responsible for the copyright violation if someone buys it and uses it to burn a highly illegal copy of a 20 year old game that is no longer even being sold commercially.

Edited by Wolf_
  • Like 3

Wolf: The problem is, reprodung and distributing music that is copyrighted is infringing copyright for that music. If you make an entire new soundtrack for a game, then fine, it's not copyright infringement. But if you take that same music, re-create it in hi def and share that, that's ilegal. You're not allowed to even record music without the direct permission of the copyright owner. It's different than playing live. You could play live and just pay rights, but recording needs authorization.

Edit: The chip itself is obviously legal. The use it's being given (recreating soundtracks) is illegal.

Edited by leods

Wolf: The problem is, reprodung and distributing music that is copyrighted is infringing copyright for that music. If you make an entire new soundtrack for a game, then fine, it's not copyright infringement. But if you take that same music, re-create it in hi def and share that, that's ilegal. You're not allowed to even record music without the direct permission of the copyright owner. It's different than playing live. You could play live and just pay rights, but recording needs authorization.

Edit: The chip itself is obviously legal. The use it's being given (recreating soundtracks) is illegal.

That depends. If the mod only works with the game, then it can use the copyrighted contents from that game as to use the mod you must first have obtained those copyrighted materials.

Now if someone puts an ACDC track in there... that is not so legal. But you can still enjoy it legally as long as you have purchased that song legally in some manner. It would be no different than if you listened to the song while playing the game, or ripped the song from a cd and replaced one of the audio tracks in the game with it.

John Linneman from Digital Foundry posted a picture of the transparent version of the Super Nt. It looks less translucent than the images Analogue has posted on their site:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/956875452861337602

Wow. Looking at that and Joe's picture I'm so glad I got the Super Famicom version of this console. The translucent doesn't look bad though. The Super Famicom is going to do better together with all my SFC games and accessories. Now I'm curious about the black version. That could look pretty nice.

Wow. Looking at that and Joe's picture I'm so glad I got the Super Famicom version of this console. The translucent doesn't look bad though. The Super Famicom is going to do better together with all my SFC games and accessories. Now I'm curious about the black version. That could look pretty nice.

Heres a pic of the black one: https://twitter.com/pcbrown/status/956617901598912512

• Like 1

Some pictures here showing the side and back of the console.

https://twitter.com/JeffGrubb/status/956657602598809600

I'm glad. At the end the SFC look is the one that pleases me the most.

I ordered the "Classic" aka the North American grey/purple. Still haven't seen any up close pics of that. I still can't decide if I have buyer's remorse. Part of me wanted the black to match my black NT Mini. But the NT Mini was never trying to look anything like any NES/Famicom model, so I figured I would get the Classic to evoke what my (dead) childhood SNES looked like. The transparent looks much worse than on Analogue's site imo. I could easily see Analogue doing limited edition colors as well.

• Like 1

So to read about FPGA consoles in this lovely forum, I literally have to ignore 80% of people here? Jesus.

Come on people, let's stay on topic. If you want to speak about the legality of ROMs that implement MSU-1, please, by all means, CREATE A THREAD ABOUT IT.

Because these are relevant to reasons why people would buy a FPGA console, and not simply download illegal copies off the internet and play it on software emulators using they keyboard or xbox360 controller.

Why would anyone care about the legality of the MSU-1 chip and its use in a forum where everyone is drooling over jailbreak firmwares which do nothing but promote piracy.

Again, because elephant in the room is that the Mini NT, Super NT, and essentially every software emulator out there's primary purpose is to play games that can only be obtained from pirates. As has been repeated every few pages, if you can not use the original software (eg the physical cartridge) then it's purpose is piracy, not preservation. There are no physical MSU-1 cartridges, as it only exists as a FPGA, and is only part of the SD2SNES firmware. It's the pirates who generally do not care about what kind of damage they do that often results in things like FPGA consoles and FPGA flash drives being labeled as piracy tools when blobs of pirated material appear designed exclusively for the device. If you want to play with a MSU-1 romhack, you need to obtain the ROM, audio files, and the patch, of which acquiring all three are nearly always copyright infringement and not setup ready to be played on the SD2SNES, let alone emulators.

I raise this concern once in a while because people get full of themselves about what kind of things kevtris is going to make available in a JB firmware when he hasn't even announced such a thing. If you could just buy the Mini NT or Super NT jailbroken, it would probably sell easier, but it would get smacked down by Nintendo pretty darn quick, because it would be promoting piracy. If it doesn't pirated games alone, then it's easy to go "well it only plays previously released cartridges", even if it can play everdrive or sd2snes carts, since a real snes can play those too. If at some point it's jailbroken and the pirates can't keep from ruining things, then you will end up seeing JB'd Super NT's on eBay, and then the awareness goes up, and good luck ever buying one at $190 ever again.

Edited by Kismet

Again, because elephant in the room is that the Mini NT, Super NT, and essentially every software emulator out there's primary purpose is to play games that can only be obtained from pirates. As has been repeated every few pages, if you can not use the original software (eg the physical cartridge) then it's purpose is piracy, not preservation. There are no physical MSU-1 cartridges, as it only exists as a FPGA, and is only part of the SD2SNES firmware. It's the pirates who generally do not care about what kind of damage they do that often results in things like FPGA consoles and FPGA flash drives being labeled as piracy tools when blobs of pirated material appear designed exclusively for the device. If you want to play with a MSU-1 romhack, you need to obtain the ROM, audio files, and the patch, of which acquiring all three are nearly always copyright infringement and not setup ready to be played on the SD2SNES, let alone emulators.

I raise this concern once in a while because people get full of themselves about what kind of things kevtris is going to make available in a JB firmware when he hasn't even announced such a thing. If you could just buy the Mini NT or Super NT jailbroken, it would probably sell easier, but it would get smacked down by Nintendo pretty darn quick, because it would be promoting piracy. If it doesn't pirated games alone, then it's easy to go "well it only plays previously released cartridges", even if it can play everdrive or sd2snes carts, since a real snes can play those too. If at some point it's jailbroken and the pirates can't keep from ruining things, then you will end up seeing JB'd Super NT's on eBay, and then the awareness goes up, and good luck ever buying one at $190 ever again.

3oy5b6.jpg

I've run out of different ways to explain that the entirety of the U.S. operates off the principal of innocent until proven guilty and that if there isn't a law against it then it is legal. You can't be saved your soul is damned to the depths.

John Linneman from Digital Foundry posted a picture of the transparent version of the Super Nt. It looks less translucent than the images Analogue has posted on their site:

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/956875452861337602

Wow, I was regretting not purchasing the clear one. Not so much anymore. I went with a black one and a gray one (with purple) to match the Nt Minis I have.

Edited by Toth

Wow, I was regretting not purchasing the clear one. Not so much anymore. I went with a black one and a gray one (with purple) to match the Nt Minis I have.

Sounds like it may just be a bad angle/lighting issue. According to John: It looks really good in person. Better than the website shots.

https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/956915330500169728

Of course, what better means is subjective. Ive asked him to share more pictures.

Edit - More pictures here (still looks cloudy): https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/956963979636731907

Edited by elevengames

I am not even arguing any of this, but what is the point bringing it up all the time? 99% of people roaming this forum, including myself, are aware that what they do with their NT Mini is not 100% legal. So what? No console the NT Mini and possibly the Super NT can replace is a major cash cow to its developer today and even if Nintendo for instance offers their classic games for download, it's not like they will be struggling covering development costs since everything they offer was finished decades ago.

Also, piracy and preservation of retro games do go hand in hand, since Nintendo will not care if games not called Mario, Zelda or Metroid will be lost forever if their last known copy will seize to function. the same goes for old systems where it's not even clear who holds the rights to their name today.

And please don't mistake me for one of those cheapskates flooding this forum who aim to replace their retro setup with one system and sell all their stuff while the retro market is still hot. I have been collecting retro games for a long time and will continue doing so, even if I ordered a Super NT which I have not as it holds zero value to me without a possible jailbreak and other systems cores to load. I do own an NT Mini to be able to play Game Gear games and all that obscure stuff on my CRT, which according to other people here should never be supported by the Super NT, because they replaced theirs years ago.

If there is one annoyance here, it's not the ignorance towards digital theft, it is some people who feel the need to force their opinion down other's throat. I don't even mind all the bullshit technical expertise and predictions of what the Super NT will definitely be capable of doing in the future left and right that much, even though those can be annoying as hell too.

FYI transparent is now out of stock.

I was in the process of checkout for the SF variant until they wanted to charge me $39.71 for UPS ground shipping. (I'm in the USA...)

That shit must've not bothered me as much with the NT Mini but thats over 20% of the cost of the Super NT; I'll wait for the second run, by that time the reviews will be out and the jailbreak situation will be more clear. Hopefully they'll also have figured out how to accurately charge people for shipping.

Edited by Riptide

FYI transparent is now out of stock.

I was in the process of checkout for the SF variant until they wanted to charge me $39.71 for UPS ground shipping. (I'm in the USA...)

That shit must've not bothered me as much with the NT Mini but thats over 20% of the cost of the Super NT; I'll wait for the second run, by that time the reviews will be out and the jailbreak situation will be more clear. Hopefully they'll also have figured out how to accurately charge people for shipping.

$40 to ship something slightly larger and heavier than a SNES cart? That's insane. I was about to order one, but getting that massively overcharged on shipping is a dealbreaker.

Edited by RabidWookie
  • Like 1

Will we see reviews before it's too late to order one for February delivery?

I think the actual review NDA expires on Feb 7th, but having the pre-production units in advance means that reviewers can get a lot of their work done before launch, even if a lot of their time was with pre-production hardware and software rather than final.

Edited by Guspaz

$40 to ship something slightly larger and heavier than a SNES cart? That's insane. I was about to order one, but getting that massively overcharged on shipping is a dealbreaker.

Did you know that USPS changed their shipping costs drastically a few days ago? Everyone that ships small packets for crowdfunding preorders is crying bloody murder.

Personally, I don't care about the shipping cost in this one very specific case:

Subtotal:

$189.99 USD

Shipping:

$32.35 USD

Total:

$222.34 USD

That is still cheaper than trying to acquire a working SNES.