2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'm confused.

I've never owned nor operated an SD2SNES, but I looked up some info on their site. According to this:

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility,

Star Ocean, Far Side of Eden Zero, Marvelous, Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, the Star Fox titles, Kirby DML3, and Super Star are incompatible. But do they work now?

The “translated hacked version” of Star Ocean uses a mega sized ROM without the expansion chip. The original, unmodified, ROM is unsupported on SD2SNES.

Not sure, I havent played that game enough to get to that part. I didn't see that during the intro so I'm assuming you have to play a few levels before getting to that bit?

Yeah, it’s pretty close to the end. Played through that game first thing when I got my DIY Hi-Def NES kit in July 2016 (first wave) because there was glitch in the ending on the Wii VC that I wanted to check on (castle pieces break up and fall away like they should but a duplicate castle remains in place and intact). That part ended up being fine, but then there was this glitch. Forgot to check during my short stint with an Nt Mini last month and now I don’t have it. [emoji20] Edited by CZroe

Hopefully FBX was given the beta firmware to mess with the RGB sliders before official release.

I was not. I would like to have a look at it to do comparisons using the 240p test suite against Higan and my various SNES consoles though. I would hate for the firmware to become 'official' and then I get a hold of it and find something was off spec.

I was not. I would like to have a look at it to do comparisons using the 240p test suite against Higan and my various SNES consoles though. I would hate for the firmware to become 'official' and then I get a hold of it and find something was off spec.

That is pretty much why I was hoping you were part of the beta. ) :

Edited by SegaSnatcher

What beta. Did you just read me post that kevtris wants to do a beta, and are now just assuming there is some closed beta testing being done? Or did I miss something?

I watched your live stream. Kevtris said he wants to do a beta to prevent a 4.1 from happening again.

"I'm going to do a Beta on 4.2 to prevent a "4.1" from happening."

"I got a couple people lined up that will do some good hard testing for me so that it isn't rushed out."

"Closed Beta for now, should be up in less than a week though, that is my goal."

2:08.56 on your Stream.

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 2

I've done a search and can't see it mentioned, does anybody else get an annoying buzzing tone when opening the inventory in Flashback? It happens for me using both NTSC and JP roms, but not the PAL version.

This is using an SD2SNES so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Super NT or the SD2SNES itself. Can anyone else verify the problem? Also, has anyone got an official Flashback cart to test this?

The buzz does not occur on original hardware with an SD2SNES, so its a bug in the Super Nt.

I've done a search and can't see it mentioned, does anybody else get an annoying buzzing tone when opening the inventory in Flashback? It happens for me using both NTSC and JP roms, but not the PAL version.

This is using an SD2SNES so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Super NT or the SD2SNES itself. Can anyone else verify the problem? Also, has anyone got an official Flashback cart to test this?

The buzz does not occur on original hardware with an SD2SNES, so its a bug in the Super Nt.

I searched through this thread, but I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this issue. I couldn't even find a blip on google. I went through the Analogue support site. Figured I'd try here.

I was messing around with different video settings yesterday on my Super NT. I was trying to figure out optimal settings for my TV. I wasn't really happy with any particular settings so I started looking up suggestions online and trying things from MLiG and Twitter and review articles I found. I started with 1080p, but eventually tried 720p60 and various settings. I tinkered and tinkered. Then I updated the firmware from the stock shipped version to 4.1. Everything still worked fine.

At some point, I tried to go back to 720p60 for more testing and found that I could not. In fact, now I cannot choose anything other than 1080p60. It simply will not "X" select anything other than 1080p60. It says that 480p60, 720p60, 1080p60, 720p50 and 576p50 are supported by my screen, and I know for a fact that at some point I was using 720p60.

I was doing this on an NTSC Panasonic Plasma 65" TV. *NOTHING* I did after this allows me to select 720p60 or anything else. I'm stuck on 1080p now. I tried Factory Resetting settings. No dice. I even tried flashing the firmware back to 4.0, but even then, I'm stuck at 1080p60. I flashed back up to 4.1. Still, stuck at 1080p60.

Any idea what went wrong? How can I get back to being able to select 720p60? Seems really really odd that even flashing to different firmware levels that I wouldn't be allowed to change the resolution.

I searched through this thread, but I couldn't find anyone else mentioning this issue. I couldn't even find a blip on google. I went through the Analogue support site. Figured I'd try here.
I was messing around with different video settings yesterday on my Super NT. I was trying to figure out optimal settings for my TV. I wasn't really happy with any particular settings so I started looking up suggestions online and trying things from MLiG and Twitter and review articles I found. I started with 1080p, but eventually tried 720p60 and various settings. I tinkered and tinkered. Then I updated the firmware from the stock shipped version to 4.1. Everything still worked fine.
At some point, I tried to go back to 720p60 for more testing and found that I could not. In fact, now I cannot choose anything other than 1080p60. It simply will not "X" select anything other than 1080p60. It says that 480p60, 720p60, 1080p60, 720p50 and 576p50 are supported by my screen, and I know for a fact that at some point I was using 720p60.
I was doing this on an NTSC Panasonic Plasma 65" TV. *NOTHING* I did after this allows me to select 720p60 or anything else. I'm stuck on 1080p now. I tried Factory Resetting settings. No dice. I even tried flashing the firmware back to 4.0, but even then, I'm stuck at 1080p60. I flashed back up to 4.1. Still, stuck at 1080p60.
Any idea what went wrong? How can I get back to being able to select 720p60? Seems really really odd that even flashing to different firmware levels that I wouldn't be allowed to change the resolution.

You have to press Start to change resolution. It's done that way to avoid accidents.

• Like 2

You have to press Start to change resolution. It's done that way to avoid accidents.

Wow. OMG. That was it! Thanks! I wasted so much time reading stuff online when all I had to do was read the bottom of the TV screen. It says it right there, hit Start to Confirm. Jeez.

I feel so dumb now. I don't remember having to hit Start to change resolutions on the default firmware. Was it always like that and I just don't remember or did that change in 4.1?

In any case, thank you so much!

Wow. OMG. That was it! Thanks! I wasted so much time reading stuff online when all I had to do was read the bottom of the TV screen. It says it right there, hit Start to Confirm. Jeez.

I feel so dumb now. I don't remember having to hit Start to change resolutions on the default firmware. Was it always like that and I just don't remember or did that change in 4.1?

In any case, thank you so much!

I remember when I got the Nt mini I couldn't figure out why the resolution change. Then I realized I had to restart the system for the changes to take effect. :mad:

On that note, I know 720p60 supposedly has some lag on 1080p systems; is that true for 4k TVs? We finally upgraded to a 4k but I've been using the 1080p60 thinking the 720p60 added lag. The scanlines indeed look better on 720p, but I've been content with 1080p.

I remember when I got the Nt mini I couldn't figure out why the resolution change. Then I realized I had to restart the system for the changes to take effect. :mad:

On that note, I know 720p60 supposedly has some lag on 1080p systems; is that true for 4k TVs? We finally upgraded to a 4k but I've been using the 1080p60 thinking the 720p60 added lag. The scanlines indeed look better on 720p, but I've been content with 1080p.

This ill depend on each TV. I saw testing of TVs that are equal for all inputs, and others that depending on input type will lag more or less. I even have a 720p TV that lags more when you input 720p through HDMI than it lags through the composite or the SCART connector. Makes no sense to me, but that's how it is. And yes. I have game mode on. Doesn't seem to change anything...

What PCB revision of the SD2SNES? Certain revisions of the SD2SNES are known for having analog interference on certain revisions of the SNES, namely, Rev E on 1chip.

If you didn’t hear it on an actual SNES then if could still be the SD2SNES. If yours is Rev E/E1b or earlier (is there an earlier rev in the wild?) then was it a 1chip SNES? If not, try on a 1chip. It could easily be that the Super Nt is more like a 1chip in that regard.

It will depend heavily on the screen.

My 4K monitor seems to be fine regardless of the input resolution as long as the input resolution is 720p, 1080p or 2160p. If it switches to 480p I have to go into the menu and change the aspect control and overscan settings, otherwise it seems to default to "fill the screen"

That said, the scaler in this monitor seems to have a slight anti-aliased look to it at 720p, where as the 1080p looks like it's straight integer scaled. So if anti-aliasing is being invoked, it's likely has slightly more latency than straight integer scale. (Integer scale just duplicates the next pixel, where as anti-aliasing has to mathematically take into account the surrounding 3 scan lines at least.)

SD2SNES essentially gives you Star Ocean (translated hacked version), Mega Man X2+3 and Mega Man X3 "Fully Playable Zero hack".
DSP-Support (Everdrive DSP and SD2SNES) essentially gives you Mario Kart (+hacks) and Pilot Wings.
There are English translations for "Far Side of Eden Zero" and "Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima". Popular hacks are available for Mario RPG, Mega Man X3, Mario Kart and Yoshi's Island.
So if you own a SD2SNES you would need repros for Mario RPG hacks, Yoshi's Island hacks, Far Side of Eden Zero (translation), Marvelous (translation) and Star Fox 2.
You would also need original carts (or repros) for Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Parodius 3 - Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius, Super Mario RPG, Star Fox and Yoshi's Island.

Good Point. I have an Everdrive v2.0 with DSP1b chip installed (R.I.P. Ballz3D), and I have North American versions of SMRPG, Yoshi's Island, Kirby "Super Star", Star Fox, and Super Famicom Imports of Kirby's Dreamland and "Talking Parodius" (in fact I have all three Parodius games). In fact I just ordered a NEW Starfox 2 repro online. The Japan exclusive RPGs like MArveous and Far Side of Eden I don't really care about (Got a Mother 3 translation repro for GBA though), so I'm set for the most part. Don't really care about DOOM, and Stunt Racers is affordable should I try and pick one up. Also I suck at Megaman but the JApanese versions of Rockman X2, X3 are fairly cheap. My Yoshi's Island and SMRPG have fresh SRAM batteries as I just changed them myself, so I'm good for the next 20 years (knocks on wood).

Any collector of SNES shouldn't have trouble tracking down the necessary FX and SA-1 games, especially if they are open to much cheaper Japanese imports. Super Mario RPG is really the only one out of the bunch that specifically requires lots of reading to play. And anyone remotely into SHMUPs has got to get the Parodius trilogy on Super Famicom; even if you're the "I like SHMUPs but I suck at them" type, they all have liberal adjustments for difficulty settings to suit any gamer.

Your premise is based on the Analogue Nt Mini being discontinued. There’s good reason to believe it’s not along with a good explanation for it being currently unavailable: 8bitdo discontinued the NES30.

8bitdo is even sweeping it under the rug, deleting all pictures and calling it “N30” on their product support pages. Since Analogue hasn’t removed the product page, I expect we might see it again.

IT makes it all the more special that I love my FC30 so much. The feel of it is worlds better than the NES30. I wish they still made the rectangular form factor, especially like the FC30 with it's round edges. I also downgraded my NES receiver firmware to an old beta that allows A+B to be used for NES. I had to sign up to their dumb forum to get the old beta firmware, and last I checked the 8bitdo forum was completely gone for a while. PM me if you want the old firmware.

Basically just reminiscing about how much I loved the FC30 and was glad I picked one up as it's even better feeling than the NES ones. Now if only I can locate my SNES receiver dongle since they don't sell them separate anymore... :dunce:

At least you weren't one of those people with older 720p/1080i only flat panels that can't do native 1080p. When I first hooked up my Super NT, I got "unusable signal" and had to use a completely blind button combination someone posted on Nitnednoage to select 720p from the menu. This needs to be ironed out. Not sure if it is on Kevtris' to-do list or not.

I made an unlisted video about it but my job site blocks youtube. It's been posted earlier in this thread already.

IT makes it all the more special that I love my FC30 so much. The feel of it is worlds better than the NES30. I wish they still made the rectangular form factor, especially like the FC30 with it's round edges. I also downgraded my NES receiver firmware to an old beta that allows A+B to be used for NES. I had to sign up to their dumb forum to get the old beta firmware, and last I checked the 8bitdo forum was completely gone for a while. PM me if you want the old firmware.

Basically just reminiscing about how much I loved the FC30 and was glad I picked one up as it's even better feeling than the NES ones. Now if only I can locate my SNES receiver dongle since they don't sell them separate anymore... :dunce:

I got the Player I and Player II set to use with an original Famicom. Love it! [emoji4]

kI8Euell.jpg

I plan to reverse engineer the remote reset mod to make it act as the P2 microphone.

Edit: Microcenter and Fry’s Electronics still have the SNES Retro Receiver. $20 at Fry’s, $25 at Microcenter.

Edited by CZroe
  • Like 1

Might have to wait a bit longer for shipping but you can still buy all their stuff individually on ebay from china.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8Bitdo-Wireless-Bluetooth-Retro-Receiver-for-SNES-SFC-Gamepad-BLACK/162420632778

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about the mister project, so I looked it up:

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

No disrespect, but this makes it pretty much a non-starter for most people who would want to use it unless they can get PCBs made, solder surface mount parts to them, etc. The only source I saw for completed boards was a person selling hand made ones on a forum thread and it seems he only had made 50-100 of the boards so far, and was sold out. There's no enclosure and it's just bare PCBs. Again this is no disrespect or anything and I wish 'em the best, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its not quite as bad as you saw, there are premade PCBs available:

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=SDRAM-assembled

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=RTC-assembled

but you're right there's no enclosure or anyone selling something thats like a complete product.

That DE10-nano board just seems like its killer bang for the buck when it comes to FPGA power with 110 LE plus the ARM core, I'm surprised it doesn't have more traction.

• Like 1