1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The AVS shell design is charming but the aesthetic and elegance kind of falls apart if you use a famicom cart. While the Nt Mini design doesn't have the same nostalgia factor it's a simpler and more consistent design and I appreciate the build quality (both internally and externally) because it's something I plan on owning for a long time.

The lid of the AVS needs an opening for a Famicom cart. It doesn't shut all the way, and the only way to design around this would be to add a Famicom slot for the lid, or make the console's shell as deep as an NES Toaster. Both would add cost, especially the unnecessarily deep shell.

I do love the AVS and largely agree with Brentonius on the shell design. Based upon my experiences with the Supef NT, I am leaning towards 720p for games. 1024x720p maintains integer pixel ratio without scaling, though ever so slightly wider than a native crt, they do not look bad. The slightly softer image doesn't detract from having 240p, and I like the meatier scanline look.

And imo 6x5 pixel aspect (1536x1200 cropped to 1080p) is overrated. 80% is too wide, making the dark barrier between them appear razor thin. I think it would almost be better if 5x mode did 3 light, 2 dark, or even med, light, light, med, dark. Even on my 4k tcl hdtv with zero overscan, I'm constantly adjusting the vertical alignment to center the action and prevent text from being cropped. Fighting games especially benefit from being pushed down so the status/life bars don't get cropped. Then I play Mario World and the ground floor is only pixels away from the bottom edge of the screen so I position it back up.

So I find myself using 720p a lot more on the Super NT now, making it equivalent to AVS. Also the 3x scalar looks nice too, if unnatural compared to vintage crts. Sometimes I like using it. Feel free to disagree, but I would rather just set it and forget it at 720p with 2/3 scanline thickness offering ideal coverage. And for those of you using AVS, starting with 1.3 firmware, Brian has added horizontal interpolation, meaning that the user is no longer locked to integer ratios to prevent shimmering. 3.5 horizontal / 3 vertical (hit dpad twice from far left position since each increment adds .25 pixel width) with interpolation enabled is a great compromise for those wanting pixel aspects close to ideal. This equals out to 7/6 or 1.167 par, very close to the ideal 8/7 or 1.143 ratio. For reference, 6/5 integer ratio is 1.2, what you get in 1080p 5x verical setting with cropping, and 5x3 pixel 720p forced to full 4:3 frame is 5:4 par or 1.25, same as you would get with 960p / 1280h (1080p windowed for hdtv with built in overscan) or 720p 3.75:3. With interpolation, the AVS shimmering artifacts are practically non-existent for non-integer ratios.

I have nothing against customization, but compared to Super NT, the AVS menu is more streamlined and less confusing for novice users. Kevtris did a good start by hiding the "advanced" settings, however I think integer ratios should be selectable without switching to expert mode. Also zero setting should indicate that the screen is centered, but instead the offsets need to be guessed as to what exact value is center.

Overall both are great tech and complemdnt each other while paying homage to the systems they represent. I have the NA Purple Super NT model but would not hesitate to buy a black Mega NT (Sega console) in the future. Black doesn't look right for a bit era Nintendo. And the NT Mini looks like a metallized n64. :P

I'd say the kevtris HiDefNES is the better option, if you have a cheap enough console to install it into and can do it yourself or know a friend who can for free/cheaply. Yes the AVS has 4 ports and a FC slot, but the other would be using an original system with a very solid core update that had nice options built in.

If only you could get the other cores on HiDefNES lol. I have the HiDefNES and love it, but I'm envious of those that have the NT Mini.

I couldn't justify the NT Mini, plus I preferred the TopLoader form factor too. Also it goes a lot to say that something more is too much. At least it's stuck just doing NES stuff which is already in itself too much if you're using an everdrive anyway.

I'll admit the black choice on the Super NT wasn't a first choice, but I've grown used to it and it's nice being discrete. I did want the SNES(US) style shell but it just stayed out for a long time and luck, timing and waiting got me an irresistible offer on what I do have so I did it with no regrets.

The lid of the AVS needs an opening for a Famicom cart. It doesn't shut all the way, and the only way to design around this would be to add a Famicom slot for the lid, or make the console's shell as deep as an NES Toaster. Both would add cost, especially the unnecessarily deep shell.

I do love the AVS and largely agree with Brentonius on the shell design. Based upon my experiences with the Supef NT, I am leaning towards 720p for games. 1024x720p maintains integer pixel ratio without scaling, though ever so slightly wider than a native crt, they do not look bad. The slightly softer image doesn't detract from having 240p, and I like the meatier scanline look.

Overall both are great tech and complemdnt each other while paying homage to the systems they represent. I have the NA Purple Super NT model but would not hesitate to buy a black Mega NT (Sega console) in the future. Black doesn't look right for a bit era Nintendo. And the NT Mini looks like a metallized n64. :P

I don't like 6x by 5x on the Super Nt either, but for NES games it feels much better for some reason. I do think that if you actually had an Nt Mini you'd feel differently, so it's unfortunate that you haven't had an opportunity to try one. It's kind of hard to compare two products if you haven't used one of them. ;)

Edited by cacophony

Wasn't Parasol Stars released on Famicom? I have it for PC Engine. Many of the few non-sports "PAL Exclusive" NES releases were Famicom games that got limited Scandinavian release.

Devil World, Mr Gimmick, and Parodius are popular examlles of this. Devil World is NROM, but Mr Gimmick and Parodius used special mappers. Mr Gimmick had audio which was removed for the PAL release (and NTSC prototype) and Parodius was converted from VRC4 to MMC3.

As for Noah's Ark, I have an NTSC NES version from Piko's Kickstarter. It was unlicensed, and an NTSC prototype was produced but not released stateside.

Parasol Stars has no Famicom or NTSC NES release, so it's Europe only. Ocean ported that game and also did a different port of Rainbow Islands : The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 compared to what Taito released for the Famicom and the NTSC NES.

Banana Prince, Crackout, Devil World, Hammerin' Harry, Mario Bros. Classic Series, Mr. Gimmick, New Ghostbusters II, Over Horizon, Parodius, Rod Land and Ufouria are pretty much the good games which have a Famicom counterpart and all are or can be made to be English-language friendly. The number of great, true PAL exclusives is very small once you subtract these games.

I had no idea Piko released the Konami version of "Noah's Ark" or that it did a second kickstarter. I thought you had confused the Konami game with the Wisdom Tree game contained in Bible Adventures. I guess that NTSC prototype was released after all.

Edited by Great Hierophant
  • Like 1

Parasol Stars has no Famicom or NTSC NES release, so it's Europe only. Ocean ported that game and also did a different port of Rainbow Islands : The Story of Bubble Bobble 2 compared to what Taito released for the Famicom and the NTSC NES.

Banana Prince, Crackout, Devil World, Hammerin' Harry, Mario Bros. Classic Series, Mr. Gimmick, New Ghostbusters II, Over Horizon, Parodius, Rod Land and Ufouria are pretty much the good games which have a Famicom counterpart and all are or can be made to be English-language friendly. The number of great, true PAL exclusives is very small once you subtract these games.

I had no idea Piko released the Konami version of "Noah's Ark" or that it did a second kickstarter. I thought you had confused the Konami game with the Wisdom Tree game contained in Bible Adventures. I guess that NTSC prototype was released after all.

Piko owns all the rights to former Wisdom Tree games. Really if you got the SNES Noah's Ark and the Wisdom Tree multicart, you have all their games.

Mario Bros Classic Serie is exclusive to Pal in cartridge format because the Famicom version was fds. I don't have the patiences to import and deal with fixing up an fds. I have the Mario Bros Classic Serie and the Mario/Tetris/World Cup 3-in-1 as Pal exclusive carts, the only Pal games currently in my collection. Mario Bros is enhanced just like DK Complete Edition. It also runs well on ntsc lockout defeated hardware.

phoenixdownita, is Redguy Krixx? I watched some vids on this update. I surmised that the new firmware can play some extra games it could not before and/or unsupported features of previously playable titles now work. I must be missing something though because YT people seem to be flipping out with excitement over this update. What's the best new feature?

SmokeMonster playing Redguy SA-1 core for SD2SNES:

Aside from the hot pink lighting in the room (what's up with that?) the SA-1 seems to be working very well. And he's playing it on the SuperNt :)

As soon as we all can get our hands on it we'll all be a little happier.

He streams in his Daughter's bedroom lol?

phoenixdownita, is Redguy Krixx? I watched some vids on this update. I surmised that the new firmware can play some extra games it could not before and/or unsupported features of previously playable titles now work. I must be missing something though because YT people seem to be flipping out with excitement over this update. What's the best new feature?

No, he's just some dude that showed up randomly. Nobody has much information about him.

The best new feature is that it plays SA-1 games (most of them).

Sometimes you just have that anonymous good samaratin type that pops up out of nowhere, really doesn't want any love or payment for what they do, and they just keep it that way and vanish once they're done (or not, and continue anonymously.) That's where this redguy seems to stand if it's not some covert nickname for a known person wanting to just be left alone. I'd say just leave it be, be happy and that's that. Someone tried to pay a bounty out for the FX already and he deflected the cash to a charity.

Has anyone bought the new 8bitdo DIY kit for the NES classic controller, and used the converted controller with the NT Mini retro receiver? If so, any noticeable lag?

I did. I don't notice any lag but what I should say is that it feels the same as previous 8bitdo controllers. I am not a good judge of input lag though unless it is very obvious. I have always thought the 8bitdo controllers were fine in that regard. I own 4 other 8bitdo controllers and sold a couple others I had previously and the wireless feels the same.

I have to say it is extremely cool to have an official controller, including all the silicone membranes and case and buttons, but have it be wireless. The kit fits the inside of the controller perfectly and was very, very easy to install. I got both NES and SNES classic versions. I doubt I will ever buy another wireless controller since this is about as OEM as it can get if you want wireless.

I paid for the expensive DHL shipping which was like $18 but I bought 4 kits total (2 nes and 2 snes) and it took a little less than a week to get to me. They take a couple days to actually ship them out but once they ship they arrive quickly.

Oh, you do need to update your receiver before using them. I didn't do that and the controllers wouldn't connect. Once I updated the firmware they connected and reconnect immediately. Also, the little ribbon cable of the proprietary power connector of the NES version is slightly longer than it needs to be so you have to sort of fold it slightly to install it. It's super easy and obvious though when you do it. The funny thing is there is an actual micro USB connector on the main board and their little proprietary connector is connected to the board by a ribbon cable next to it (they had to do that to fit the cord hole in the controller which is nice so that you don't have to modify the case in any way). Makes me think if they ever release firmware for it you may need to remove it from the case and use a micro usb cable to update the firmware.

Edited by Toth
  • Like 1

Which level of DSP though? There's DSP1-4, and I would think the basic one that drives Pilotwings and Mario Kart should just work already as I hadn't read those don't run on the jailbreak. The other DSPs were more rarely used as the number rose if I remember right.

No, none of the DSP games work on the JB via the SD card.

Pilotwings, Mario Kart, and possibly Ballz3d are the good ones. And I'm being sarcastic about the ballz part. It's not the greatest fighting game ever made but is pretty unique and has a cult following.

Mostly the rest of them are sports/racing games which did not age well. I've already sacrificed a couple of Ballz3d carts to enhance Everdrives. I sold an older v1 and still have a v2.0 model with a dsp1 chip installed. My Balls3d donor cart still works on RetroFreak but obviously not real hardware.