1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

We don't even know if the FPGA solution in the Super NT has enough spare resources to cover those extra chips.

Probably not at the same time. The SD2SNES from what I understand basically has all the expansion chips available at all time, but can't turn all of them on at the same time since there are bus limitations.

Sigh... have not receive an email about shipping :(

I still haven't received my tracking email from Analogue either, but signing up to ups.com "ups my choice" with my address I was able to obtain my tracking directly from ups's website. obviously this may only work if your order isn't international and being shipped with ups.

I wonder if Analogue is having trouble getting out the tracking info??

I still haven't received my tracking email from Analogue either, but signing up to ups.com "ups my choice" with my address I was able to obtain my tracking directly from ups's website. obviously this may only work if your order isn't international and being shipped with ups.

Good call! I see mine via this method.

• Like 1

Absolutely no reason...you know other than being honest with your customers. Lying via omission is still lying. There is a good section of buyers who are expecting at least a SNES core, and if it doesn't have one, original hardware with an ossc is still a better option. Lying to those people so they end up buying something they don't want isn't exactly sound business policy. That being said all signs point to the release of cores, so this will all be a mute point then.

Really? What signs? What misinformation are you referring to? As far as any of us know, word is mum about Super NT cores.

Kevtris spoiled all of us with the free cores for the NT Mini. Lets not take that for granted and expect it to continue. I for one am very thankful. He deserved to be compensated for the years of work he put into the cores for the NT Mini. He didn't ask for a penny. No Patreon. No nothing. I would have gladly donated or paid for each core that he released. He has his reasons for not charging, and to that I say thank you Kevin!

Now with the new Super NT, it seems to me there is an expectation that Kevtris will release cores. This is wrong. I bought the Super NT as the ultimate SNES clone and so should have everybody else. Kevtris and Analogue don't owe an explanation about cores to anyone. On top of that there are serious legal reasons why Analogue cannot market plans about releasing cores for the Super NT. Just because the NT Mini received free cores, that does not mean the new Super NT is going to receive them too. There isn't any information correlating that. Just a wrongful sense of entitlement and taking someone's hard work for granted. Enjoy the Super NT for what it is and stop expecting something for nothing. If we get cores, then be grateful and thankful. But don't expect them.

• Like 3

Cool, found it on there. I am a little disappointed that it is scheduled for the 13th... shipping was MIGHTY expensive, but alas, it will be awesome when it gets here.

• Like 1

... Nintendo can not presently claim that the NT Mini or Super NT, or RetroUSB AVS are "harming" them, because the NES Classic and SNES Classic are both impossible to buy except from scalpers on eBay. By releasing the SuperNT, it actually creates an alternative to buying either/both.

It sounds like you're saying that if the NES/SNES classics were readily available then Nintendo would have a legal case against Analogue and RetroUSB because their sales would be harmed. What exactly is the legal case here given that the patents have expired?

Edited by cacophony

Really? What signs? What misinformation are you referring to? As far as any of us know, word is mum about Super NT cores.

Kevtris spoiled all of us with the free cores for the NT Mini. Lets not take that for granted and expect it to continue. I for one am very thankful. He deserved to be compensated for the years of work he put into the cores for the NT Mini. He didn't ask for a penny. No Patreon. No nothing. I would have gladly donated or paid for each core that he released. He has his reasons for not charging, and to that I say thank you Kevin!

Now with the new Super NT, it seems to me there is an expectation that Kevtris will release cores. This is wrong. I bought the Super NT as the ultimate SNES clone and so should have everybody else. Kevtris and Analogue don't owe an explanation about cores to anyone. On top of that there are serious legal reasons why Analogue cannot market plans about releasing cores for the Super NT. Just because the NT Mini received free cores, that does not mean the new Super NT is going to receive them too. There isn't any information correlating that. Just a wrongful sense of entitlement and taking someone's hard work for granted. Enjoy the Super NT for what it is and stop expecting something for nothing. If we get cores, then be grateful and thankful. But don't expect them.

That's why I pre-ordered so I do expect them. All signs point to them coming out just as they did with the NT mini. And if not, I'll just sell it off and keep my modded jr., no big deal.

Edited by Nomenclature

Anyone buying more than one unit simply to have a backup in case of failure? Given how Analogue products tend to be discontinued and then get excessively expensive on the used market, I've almost convinced myself to order a second one.

Perhaps this will be the first Analogue product that they keep making for many years?

It sounds like you're saying that if the NES/SNES classics were readily available then Nintendo would have a legal case against Analogue and RetroUSB because their sales would be harmed. What exactly is the legal case here given that the patents have expired?

If Nintendo was actually making enough of them they could claim that "that unlicensed device was made only to play pirated Nintendo software", because that IS what people are doing with the mini's, and a device that can play the pirated games by itself, but more accurately becomes a threat to the sales of the mini and any future Virtual Console store, despite the mini's being a hot piracy device itself due to bad engineering.

If the SuperNT can do it's own backups, that makes it no different than the iPod and ripping your own music. The catch is that djinn is ALREADY out of the bottle, because you can already do this with the everdrive/sd2snes, and if a copy function exists on the SuperNT, there is nothing stopping anyone from loading the rom on the everdrive, and then going to the console menu and copy it. One game at a time.

So people complaining that they can't play their pirated games, there are already means of doing so, and their unwillingness to buy one of those tools tells me that they don't have any SNES legit games at all, thus buying the SuperNT alone will get them nothing but the two preloaded games. That is why they are whining.

Personally, I'd rather Nintendo get a clue here and release their own FPGA console.

Edited by Kismet

That's intentional. Just like the NT Mini.

No legitimate American product would include such features out of the box because of "MGM Studios, Inc. v. Grokster, Ltd.", eg "Court unanimously concurred that Grokster could be liable for inducing copyright infringement"

There is a difference between "this thing only plays SNES carts out of the box" and "this thing doesn't need any snes carts, just steal them off the internet", type of notoriety a product gets once it's discovered that piracy is easy to do with it. As an example, there once was this cheap DVD player imported from china that could be put in RCE0 mode and thus people first bought it to play cheaper imported/counterfeit DVD's, and later people just made their own discs using pirated content which also worked on it. All the early DVD players up to that point wouldn't play recordable media. Likewise there are similar things like HDMI splitters which let you capture HDMI signals using any legitimate device key plugged into the other side, and there are also macrovision stripping tools that were simply called "signal stabilizers"

So generally you don't want to produce a product for sale in the US that will see more use as a piracy tool. It's completely above board to change the firmware (which is what people do to make DVD and Blueray drives RCE0) that adds features that were not originally offered, as long as the manufacturer doesn't adopt or endorse it over their own firmware. They included games in the distributed firmware because they've been legitimately licensed.

I expect, but don't care if/when it happens that anything produced for the NT Mini will get ported to the SuperNT, but if people are complaining that they can't play their pirated games on the device, they need to stop and think about what they are saying about themselves. Like the most obvious thing for a JB firmware to do first is a "CopyCart" mode as the only way to put the games on the device, and have it actually check for chip carts so it refuses the copy process for games that will be broken. Later JB firmware with other cores could use a hash database of which games will not work with the current version of the core. That should keep the complaints down to people who actually have the real carts, and those who know what they are getting into with a hacked/fan game not in the hash table.

Right now Nintendo can not claim damages from this device, because they at present aren't even producing enough SNES Mini's to meet demand.

Stop spreading this misinformation. If that were true Byuu wouldn't have time to be pissy on the internet he would be busy getting sued into oblivion. I've explained to you multiple times how the law works but as long as it doesn't include copyrighted code in it and they don't say to play stolen content instead of backups they are neither stealing nor encouraging piracy.

There is no law against selling a competing product, in fact there are laws against monopolies to prevent there from not being enough competition in the market. Right now Disney trying to acquire Fox which is an insanely huge deal is being reviewed to make sure it doesn't give Disney an unfair share of the market. In the past these practices have also been used to prevent major car companies from closing down during recessions.

As long as the Super Nt/Nt Mini don't use anything Nintendo has copyrighted (they don't), then Nintendo has no legal they can take against them.

Stuff like this is why games are encrypted with drm to prevent them from being played on other devices so that way no one can just make a funstation 4 that plays ps4 games without violating the copyrighted protection software, however if someone found a way to play the games without violating copyright to get them to run it would be 100% legal for them to sell that product.

As far as possible jailbreaks go, I'm not EXPECTING anything, but if any were to drop, I'd be perfectly satisfied with the ability to play SNES roms. And if Kevtris somehow developed (or intends to in the future) a way to integrate all of the various cartridge chips, that would be ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. I wouldn't expect the 8 bit cores, but if he did, I certainly wouldn't expect an NES core given the NT Mini. Regardless, there is just an awful lot of wishcasting going on around here, and anyone claiming otherwise is only speaking to their own hopes and desires. That said, I think something is in the works, and that's only based on Kevin's own non-denials. I for one am just looking forward to everyone here getting their hands on a Super NT so this pent up energy can be put to better use :)

• Like 1

There is no law against selling a competing product, in fact there are laws against monopolies to prevent there from not being enough competition in the market. Right now Disney trying to acquire Fox which is an insanely huge deal is being reviewed to make sure it doesn't give Disney an unfair share of the market. In the past these practices have also been used to prevent major car companies from closing down during recessions.

As long as the Super Nt/Nt Mini don't use anything Nintendo has copyrighted (they don't), then Nintendo has no legal they can take against them.

Stuff like this is why games are encrypted with drm to prevent them from being played on other devices so that way no one can just make a funstation 4 that plays ps4 games without violating the copyrighted protection software, however if someone found a way to play the games without violating copyright to get them to run it would be 100% legal for them to sell that product.

I think the reason Analogue is being so coy about the jailbreak stuff is probably because of the fallout of that Grokster case. They don't want to be seen as in any way to be officially "inducing copyright infringement", purely to cover their ass. Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation. AFAIK Analogue is like 5-10 guys/gals in Seattle. They probably technically only payed Kevin to write the SNES core and support the official firmware updates, but there is no DRM built into the system to stop him from writing his own jailbreak firmware on his own "unpaid time".

Bleem! ultimately didn't lose any of the lawsuits brought against them by Sony, but they were still destroyed by court costs they couldn't afford.

• Like 2

I think the reason Analogue is being so coy about the jailbreak stuff is probably because of the fallout of that Grokster case. They don't want to be seen as in any way to be officially "inducing copyright infringement", purely to cover their ass. Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation. AFAIK Analogue is like 5-10 guys/gals in Seattle. They probably technically only payed Kevin to write the SNES core and support the official firmware updates, but there is no DRM built into the system to stop him from writing his own jailbreak firmware on his own "unpaid time".

Bleem! ultimately didn't lose any of the lawsuits brought against them by Sony, but they were still destroyed by court costs they couldn't afford.

Yea, I 100% agree they are playing it safe. And that makes complete sense because you don't need to be right to sue people and Nintendo have a history of being complete dicks.

Ultimately the one thing that I think would work against any present and future jailbreaks is the install base of any current and future systems they produce. The more systems they get into peoples hands, the more any potential jailbreak affects Nintendos bottom line. And make no mistake, Analogue is going after a much more "mainstream" audience now. People really just need to be realistic with their expectations here.

• Like 1

Just registered after watching the Super NT review in the My Life In Gaming YT channel so I can tell @kevtris this: DUDE, I LOVE YOU!!! :lust:

Two questions: Any plans to release a FPGA Sega Genesis console? Are your FPGA cores open source or, if they are not, there are any plans to make them open in the future?

Personally, I would buy a "Genesis Nt" powered by kevtris' high quality FPGA Sega Genesis core in a heartbeat if it's ever released!

Keep up the great job!

Cheers!

That article isn't even worth responding to it's just dripping in jealousy. I like this one line though...

"Chris is a business man. He doesn't engineer products out of a labor of love and release them openly to the world for free. He hires other people, such as Kevin Horton, pays them money, and then exploits their work to earn even more money."

Exploited? How do you know?...Aren't you just describing what is commonly referred to as a 'business'? LOL

Employing people in a for-profit business is immoral, after all Nintendo gave all tbeir games out for free.

If Nintendo was actually making enough of them they could claim that "that unlicensed device was made only to play pirated Nintendo software", because that IS what people are doing with the mini's, and a device that can play the pirated games by itself, but more accurately becomes a threat to the sales of the mini and any future Virtual Console store, despite the mini's being a hot piracy device itself due to bad engineering.

Emulators/clone consoles ARE NOT copyright infringement, unless they contain copyrighted material. Sony sued the piss out of bleem!, they lost that court ruling. Do some research before you keep posting long winded tripe.

Edited by keepdreamin

I bought two as well thinking I could sell one knowing I'd make enough to bascially get an Nt Mini for free. However, I cannot get myself to sell it now that I have it and some time has passed. I am afraid mine might someday bite the dust and I want a backup. I opened mine though to make sure it wasn't defective.

How could you tell by opening it if it was defective?