2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Got a HiDef NES question.

Think I have modded 5 of them without any issues, however a NES2 top loader behaves quite different. When it's cold, just started the screens sometimes rolls, or scroll verticaly. It stops after like 20 seconds after restarting the system. It even stops after resetting the console.

My first thought was that a cap on the console is bad, but after recapping it the problem was the same. Not a huge problem, but it's still a problem.. Can't sell it as is.

had that quite a few times. i got rid of it by cleaning the cartridge connector and using tighter sockets for the ppu and cpu.

Sometimes picking another PPU or CPU can help, too. Especially PAL ppus of a certain revision gave me some trouble before the last update.

I had the vertical rolling problem on my Famicom (quite a hackjob using a short self made HDMI extension to make it look good). Wiggling the cartridge for example made it worse until I cleaned the slot and replaced the sockets, so I guess it's mainly a problem with bad connections.

Edited by kwnage

The one that drives me crazy that I've seen several times now at classic gaming forums like the defunct Digital Press message board, is complaining that the screen is stretched. Except they're not actually complaining about something like a 4:3 game being distorted to 16:9 proportions.

Rather, they're complaining that a game looks poor because it's being displayed on a much larger screen than they played on back in the day. So they complain that it's "stretched" looking, even though it's displayed at its original aspect ratio.

Edited by Atariboy

My question is how the flipping hell can the screen "roll" over hdmi? :???:

What would you call it then? The entire image slides/moves off the bottom of the screen and reappears on the top sliding down. It's much easier to simply call that a rolling image and anyone would know what it means. I have had that happen several times with a hidef nes and I know instantly what he's talking about. It has come down to either a dirty connector or the game not being seated exactly right in my case as I just remove the cartridge and put it back in and it stops.

Edited by Toth
  • Like 1

What would you call it then? The entire image slides/moves off the bottom of the screen and reappears on the top sliding down. It's much easier to simply call that a rolling image and anyone would know what it means. I have had that happen several times with a hidef nes and I know instantly what he's talking about. It has come down to either a dirty connector or the game not being seated exactly right in my case as I just remove the cartridge and put it back in and it stops.

I'd like to see a video of this. So somehow the PPU scanlines desync from the upscaled content? Sounds like a bug in the HiDef.

There is no such thing. I found loads of retro gamers make new words up. I see this all the time. I find it annoying tbh

Well there is. How would you describe an image that shifts down until it reappears at the top of the screen?

I'd like to see a video of this. So somehow the PPU scanlines desync from the upscaled content? Sounds like a bug in the HiDef.

Not my footage but that's exactly what it looks like.

Edited by kwnage
  • Like 2

Well there is. How would you describe an image that shifts down until it reappears at the top of the screen?

Not my footage but that's exactly what it looks like.

When mine did that, it was a problem with the SD card I was using in the Everdrive N8, not anything to do with the NES or the HiDef NES.

Here are the recommended settings from FirebrandXs video for those who would like an easier reference than a YouTube video:

4x Aspect Correction

Width +1170

Hor Pos +38

Height +960

Vert Pos +42

Uncheck Disable H Interpolation

5x Aspect Correction

Width +1462

Hor Pos +38

Height +1200

Vert Pos +42

Uncheck Disable H Interpolation

• Like 4

When mine did that, it was a problem with the SD card I was using in the Everdrive N8, not anything to do with the NES or the HiDef NES.

I had this issue with original carts as well as the N8. At first I thought it was an issue with the N8 trough a 60->72pin converter but it happend on regural carts as well.

There is no such thing. I found loads of retro gamers make new words up. I see this all the time. I find it annoying tbh

Sorry for making you confused, but the majority here seems to know what I mean. English isn't my native tounge.

• Like 1

I had this issue with original carts as well as the N8. At first I thought it was an issue with the N8 trough a 60->72pin converter but it happend on regural carts as well.

Yeah, the games I have seen it happen in were original carts of Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man.

Edited by Toth

kevtris has been uncharacteristically silent on this "pixel-gate", to be fair I am fine with my 480p and 2x/2x and both interpolation disabled whatever that amounts to (my TV seems to be displaying this very well, ymmv obviously), or maybe it's all been discussed on the discord chat, dunno.

I venture he's gonna overhaul how it works and shuts us all up with facts as he always has.

• Like 1

Is there an option to add the bezel to the Gamegear core in the nt mini, or it got remove in newer versions?.

I saw a video on YouTube were it has it and I think is great. It would be great to have an option to add custom bezels to some cores, specially handhelds.

In an old thread kevtris showed screenshots, and mentioned "is done". I am guessing he was talking about the nt mini

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210437-things-the-clone-hardware-makers-should-be-making-for-gamers/

IMG_3146.JPG

Although Kevtris hasn't posted in a while, I'd like to request a couple of things for the next Super Nt firmware:

1. Get rid of the "1:1" and "8:7" modes in the "Screen Size" Menu. They are both not useful. Instead, add in "Sharp Square Pixels". This would base itself on the vertical being set to a perfect integer, so 4x would set this to 1024 with interpolation turned off, while 5x would set this to 1280 with interpolation turned off). The second option would be "4:3 for 16:9", which again is based on vertical being set to a perfect integer, making this 1170 with interpolation turned on for 4x, and 1462 with interpolation turned on for 5x. These are the 4 main modes anyone with attention to proper detail would want.

2. Extend vertical scaling up to 7x so that Super Game Boy active area can be scaled with square pixels to fill the screen.

Much appreciated for considering these changes/additions!

• Like 2

Although Kevtris hasn't posted in a while, I'd like to request a couple of things for the next Super Nt firmware:

1. Get rid of the "1:1" and "8:7" modes in the "Screen Size" Menu. They are both not useful. Instead, add in "Sharp Square Pixels". This would base itself on the vertical being set to a perfect integer, so 4x would set this to 1024 with interpolation turned off, while 5x would set this to 1280 with interpolation turned off). The second option would be "4:3 for 16:9", which again is based on vertical being set to a perfect integer, making this 1170 with interpolation turned on for 4x, and 1462 with interpolation turned on for 5x. These are the 4 main modes anyone with attention to proper detail would want.

2. Extend vertical scaling up to 7x so that Super Game Boy active area can be scaled with square pixels to fill the screen.

Much appreciated for considering these changes/additions!

I agree with removing the 1:1 option, but 8:7 fits some games quite well. I'd leave that in there and just replace 1:1 with "square pixels".

I agree with removing the 1:1 option, but 8:7 fits some games quite well. I'd leave that in there and just replace 1:1 with "square pixels".

Again, the 8:7 used in Super Nt isn't useful for any game. As I said the "8:7" everyone refers to in emulation for example is square pixels for games like SMW and SMW2. However, THAT 8:7 is based on horizontal inetergers (i.e. 1024 in 4x scale mode). The 8:7 found in the Super Nt is 1097 at 4x scale, which makes no sense at all. It's simply wrong for any game.

Simple breakdown of proper "8:7":

256x224 active graphics = 8:7

At 4x scale = 1024x896.

On the super Nt, "8:7" at 4x scale = 1097x896 (active graphics area). Thus, it is simply wrong.

Edited by Karbuncle