1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

For me I mostly avoid the fighters, they're as equally overly plentiful as overrated to the point it snuffs out a fantastic library of other stuff. Platformers, action games, run and gun, fantasy fun sports, shooters, even a few puzzles. I've got around 30 games, 4 are 1on1 fighters.

• Like 1

So, "Core Store" isn't happening on the SuperNT, is it. Or are we still in "no plans at this time" mode?

It's a sweet system as it is, of course ... but it would be sweeter if it were truly Super and could play lots of other systems too.

I'm not counting on it. Would be nice to at least get the older legacy consoles ported to the super nt, no way they'd do a genesis core if they are actually working on a genesis fpga system though, would dissuade purchases

• Like 1

So, "Core Store" isn't happening on the SuperNT, is it. Or are we still in "no plans at this time" mode?

Been said so many times but I'll say it again.. Don't expect anything. :)

I never expected the Super NT to play anything but SNES and we already got 100% more than advertised with the ability to load roms off SD card after all.

• Like 4

Btw, anyone here waiting for the NT Mini to be available again?

I doubt we'll see any restock of the Nt Mini. Would like to see a cheaper model, but don't think we'll see that anytime soon either imho. The Nt Mini is the ultimate NES. Don't get me wrong I would love to see it restocked again, but it cost loads to make.

Chris Taber mentioned in an interview with polygon that he'll probably not release a cheaper NT mini.

Having my hopes up to rerelease the same version though since it's still listed on their site and there's still high demand for it. I also know some people who just got a Super NT who's willing to shell out for an NT mini.

• Like 1

Chris Taber mentioned in an interview with polygon that he'll probably not release a cheaper NT mini.

Having my hopes up to rerelease the same version though since it's still listed on their site and there's still high demand for it. I also know some people who just got a Super NT who's willing to shell out for an NT mini.

There are many waiting for Nt Mini restock. I hope it does happen?

Couldn't the BIOS just be reverse engineered? Why is the BIOS more difficult or legally problematic to recreate than the hardware itself?

Hardware patents expire after 20 years, so people are free to clone all of the classic 8-bit and 16-bit systems. BIOS ROMs, like game ROMs, are covered by copyright, which is legally defined in the United States as author's death plus 70 years for individual works, or 90 years for commercial works.

Nintendo used custom lockout chips to authenticate the NES, SNES, and N64. These have all been reverse engineered, and the NES lockout chip can be defeated or removed to access games. SNES only needs a functional lockout chip to play SA-1 games. N64 had all games authenticated such that both the system and game needed functional lockout chips. Again, these have all been reverse engineered so it's moot.

GBA clones exist despite the system is less than 20 years old and still under patent protection? GBA used a BIOS, but it was primarily used to bootstrap games or load downloadable game content from another GBA console for multiplayer, if booted without a game cart. The bootstrap portion of the BIOS which is basically an autoloader for the game cart has been reverse assembled. Resumably it doesn't take much code to load a GBA cart. Game Boy BIOS faces a similar loophole to GBA BIOS in that it was only used to bootstrap gamess, or in the case of Game Boy Color, assign a default color palette to monochrome only games.

Sega Genesis TMSS in all but the earliest models have a BIOS that's only used to verify the authenticity of game carts. TMSS is not required to boot games so Genesis clones do not display the "licensed by" message from Sega. Third party game companies quickly discovered a loophole to manufacture games which bypassed the tmss protection, typically displaying a message to disregard any prior screen and explicitly stating the game was not licensed by Sega.

7800 BIOS as well was only used for authentication and not necessary to run code.

Neo Geo, most 5th gen and earlier disc systems, and all 6th gen and later systems have firmware which cannot be legally duplicated and are very difficut to reverse engineer. Many systems also regularly patched the firmware to thwart hacking and piracy efforts during their commercial life, but leaves them open to hacking after the sytem has stopped being updated (Wii for instance). Cloned 6th gen and later systems is probably off the cards for the forseeable future, though emulation has made headway on some of them.

• Like 1

I doubt we'll see any restock of the Nt Mini. Would like to see a cheaper model, but don't think we'll see that anytime soon either imho. The Nt Mini is the ultimate NES. Don't get me wrong I would love to see it restocked again, but it cost loads to make.

There are many waiting for Nt Mini restock. I hope it does happen?

They need to simply drop the aluminum brick and analog outputs, and release a sub $200 NT "Micro" while still retaining both cart slots, the 15-pin expansion port, 4 NES sockets, and make it cross compatible with current NT Mini firmware including the "core store".

It would sink RetroUSB's AVS and it's under-utilized scoreboard at that price point. :evil:

• Like 2

They need to simply drop the aluminum brick and analog outputs, and release a sub $200 NT "Micro" while still retaining both cart slots, the 15-pin expansion port, 4 NES sockets, and make it cross compatible with current NT Mini firmware including the "core store". It would sink RetroUSB's AVS and it's under-utilized scoreboard at that price point. :evil:

I would love too see it as well but Chris said he'll probably not release it so I'm not expecting one.

In a business point of view, I hope they do it. Nintendo is rereleasing the NES classic because of the demand. Some just missed the NT mini because of the price and/or wasn't aware of it's existence before the Super NT.

They need to simply drop the aluminum brick and analog outputs, and release a sub $200 NT "Micro" while still retaining both cart slots, the 15-pin expansion port, 4 NES sockets, and make it cross compatible with current NT Mini firmware including the "core store".

It would sink RetroUSB's AVS and it's under-utilized scoreboard at that price point. :evil:

That would be so epic!

I would love too see it as well but Chris said he'll probably not release it so I'm not expecting one.

In a business point of view, I hope they do it. Nintendo is rereleasing the NES classic because of the demand. Some just missed the NT mini because of the price and/or wasn't aware of it's existence before the Super NT.

I swear it.. So many many manufacturers/developers underestimate demand when it comes to classic gaming and products like we're discussing here.

Granted there is an initial sale surge, like when it it first comes out. But eventually word spreads. And it sucks that manufacturers don't cater to the "late comers" or the people that hear about a product by word of mouth.

Seems all production is based around "internet lurches". A big rush initially, then nothing. Unless fans start barking loudly, and then it's a crapshoot as to whether a 2nd run of something happens.

• Like 2

As an owner of an NT Mini, I would be fine with this, except the new hardwares firmware should not have a core store. The core store should remain unique to the original NT Mini hardware so that some semblance of value is left for current NT Mini owners.

As an owner of an NT Mini, I would be fine with this, except the new hardwares firmware should not have a core store. The core store should remain unique to the original NT Mini hardware so that some semblance of value is left for current NT Mini owners.

Something like the aluminum shell, which I guarantee isn't making a return, is plenty.

Core features of a potential NT Mini return shouldn't be stripped since 1st run purchasers want their units to be more capable than those sold to later customers.

• Like 1

You're really that obsessed with the value of your NT Mini that you want people to be deprived of the system's greatest feature? That's garbage, especially since such a hypothetical reissue will absolutely ditch the aluminum casing and maybe the analog outputs as well.

• Like 5

lol.. why? That's an odd thing to say, and I say that as someone who has an NT Mini. :lol:

I agree, but LewisD apparently thinks that anyone that might buy a later iteration of a NES FPGA system from Analogue don't deserve to have access since they're late to the game compared to him, and it would damage the value of his purchase if we had access to similar features.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I agree, but LewisD apparently thinks that anyone that might buy a later iteration of a NES FPGA system from Analogue don't deserve to have access since they're late to the game compared to him, and it would damage the value of his purchase if we had access to similar features.

An absolutely ridiculous stance to take. What he's actually saying is "I don't want to feel like I could have saved $200 if I had just waited a couple years". He's had plenty of time to enjoy the benefits of shelling out $400+, but to expect nobody else to EVER see the same features because the system is sold out is as I said, ridiculous.

• Like 4

Sounds to me like somebody wants to ensure their console retains a high resale value in the unfortunate scenario they may have to part with it. I can't fathom people who buy a product and then expect others not to get one because they got theirs first.

If you originally bought the NT Mini for it's features, then why wouldn't you want others to have the same opportunities that you did, even if for a lower price? If you bought it as a shelf queen collectible, then yeah, the milled aluminum original will always be worth more so your investment stands. How much more is for the market to decide.

• Like 2

Let's not pretend the flip side of that argument isnt just as self serving. People wanting Analogue to compromise its brand for a cheaper model so they can benefit. They advertised the Nt Mini as a very exclusive boutique like item. Don't act surprised the people who bought into that want the item remaining high end. You wouldn't expect Astell & Kern to make a budget model.

• Like 1