1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If you have USB wall chargers that don’t specify, throw them away.

Output specs are typically right there with the input specs.

Edit:

Three closest ones at hand...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190325/8e7a68cc38549eb1a2af9873a48923fd.jpg

Samsung 5.3v 2A

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190325/1a20626ccd95dac3ce7fb27d0cbb6fba.jpg

Apple 12w (almost identical to original iPad 10w) 5.2v 2.4A

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190325/47929f3765e32fa4a32a68220645b292.jpg

Some kind of Amazon Fire TV 5.2v 1.8A

More than 2A is safe but don’t go too much higher than 5v. Many list mA instead or A. 1000mA=1A.

Thank you! That breakdown you gave is a HUGE help! I was checking the markings on the ones I have, and had no idea how to translate what the hell I was reading lol.. Hopped on to google it, but you already cleared it up.

Too bad the dithering solution has some negative side effects, but I'm happy it's there just the same even if it isn't something that we can enable and just forget about while it does its magic. I bet the worst case examples like Virtua Racing benefit much more than they're harmed by the feature.

Are SG-1000 games on a Genesis Everdrive running with the correct SG-1000 color palette here, or is it like it is on a Genesis 1/2 with incorrect colors? I'm assuming it's the latter.

You get proper TMS9918a palette on SG-1000 games.

• Like 3

Thank you! That breakdown you gave is a HUGE help! I was checking the markings on the ones I have, and had no idea how to translate what the hell I was reading lol.. Hopped on to google it, but you already cleared it up.

No problem! I mentioned that going higher than 2A will work and won’t hurt it but I forgot to note that going lower than 2A won’t hurt it either. The big difference is that it isn’t guaranteed to work reliably at under 2A but, even then, that won’t damage it... just switch to one with enough amps.

The 2A spec probably gives comfortable overhead for a fully-loaded Mega Sg... like, 4-player multitaps and/or powered accessories in the controller ports, cart slots, etc and the most power hungry game (Virtua Racing?), so it’s likely to work fine with a bit less under normal circumstances. That said, I wouldn’t suggest less than 2A without a really good brand since most of the off-brands tend to grossly overstate their specs. The power might get noisy with a lot of ripple and/or fail to maintain 5v when the load gets close to the overstated spec. Most likely, this was also factored into their 2A specification, since they don’t out-right discourage you from using other USB chargers.

• Like 1

I would imagine something like a Mega Everdrive probably uses quite a bit more power than a regular cart as well and it seems like Kevin was probably careful to account for that.

Yes. Probably even moreso while flashing. Most flash carts use more power. This was especially noticeable with the early version of Bung’s Doctor GB Cards back in the ‘90s. Say “goodbye” to your batteries! :)

Thanks Kevtris. :)

SG-1000 do not have gfx at all on MD1/2 (the video chip is just not 9918 compatible), they only have video on SMS.

It is the SMS palette that is wrong (on a real SMS, not on a MD1/2 as there's none of that), and I hope with either direct MegaED load or via adapter + MasterED we get to play them with 9918 palette.

You're right, of course.

I actually knew that, but was up all night and pretty tired as I typed that, so I blame that. :)

Congrats to Kevtris and Analogue for releasing a new device! I am glad the company is maintaining a lineup of products and it's not one of those countless one-off happenings that are never revisited. Live long and prosper!

Disclaimer: I haven't even bought an Sg yet (waiting to have time to dedicate to it) but as a fan of FPGAs it makes me glad to see more solid products being released. :D

Edited by Newsdee

That doesn't gel with what My Life in Gaming said.

https://youtu.be/vq5eQhCN6Co?t=36m27s

Yep, even better it seems the MegaED x7 boots everything ... awesome!!!! I wonder if the MegaED v1 also boots everything ... I'll find out soon enough.

EDIT: has anyone tried to boot a gg game from either MegaED x7 or MasterED? .... it'll be neat if it just works on either (and I mean if kevtris allows them to work).

EDIT2: anyone that owns an HDMI to RGB adapter + a 32x + a soldering iron is willing to see if in the analog domain the 32x actually works?

Remember that in a 32x the video tries to latch onto vblank from the genesis, no genesis = no video, so an HDMI to RGB (Scart) converter soldered onto the appropriate 32x cables should enable the 32x video out ... it would be analog(ue) but hey .... tinkermaster would be happy.

Where's Drakon when one needs him ;-)

• Like 1

While My Life in Gaming doesn't explicitly state that it was tried, I can't imagine that they didn't try both ways to get a Game Gear rom working. So I believe it's a safe assumption that method doesn't work to get GG roms playing on the Mega SG.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

While My Life in Gaming doesn't explicitly state that it was tried, I can't imagine that they didn't try both ways to get a Game Gear rom working. So I believe it's a safe assumption that method doesn't work to get GG roms playing on the Mega SG.

You may be right, I wonder what's the incantation to have the MegaSg trigger the GG core, it's already there that's for sure ;-)

And I am eagerly awaiting when Analogue states that they support Coleco Vision .... blown away .... think about that .... it's like .... revenge of the nerds on steroids.

EDIT: for people who don't know Kevtris was briefly a part of the Coleco Chameleon crew before smelling Mike's bullshit and deciding to just do his thing which thanks to Analogue proved to be so fuxxing much better, as I really didn't dig all those "XYZ lovers" limited edition topHalf-bottomHalf colored Jaguar cases, putting "the cart before the horses" never meant anything more literal ...

EDIT2: anyone that owns an HDMI to RGB adapter + a 32x + a soldering iron is willing to see if in the analog domain the 32x actually works?

Remember that in a 32x the video tries to latch onto vblank from the genesis, no genesis = no video, so an HDMI to RGB (Scart) converter soldered onto the appropriate 32x cables should enable the 32x video out ... it would be analog(ue) but hey .... tinkermaster would be happy.

Where's Drakon when one needs him ;-)

Given that the Mega SG can only output an exact 60hz signal I doubt any DAC would have any chance of working easily until Kevkris allows the firmware to output native frequency. Edited by SlCKB0Y

Given that the Mega SG can only output an exact 60hz signal I doubt any DAC would have any chance of working easily until Kevkris allows the firmware to output native frequency.

The original MD was 59.91 I think there's quite a chance that the video synchronizer/overlay in the 32x would just work, granted maybe not perfectly, but really 60Hz vs 59.91 is like 0.15%.

I am not sure anyone would try (those HDMI->Scart converters are rarely needed and I know nothing about their quality/lag, the few I see on Amazon are all "Scart CVBS" while I suspect one needs true Scart RGB and possibly CSync), but unless there's something on the FW blocking some cart signal from reaching the 32x we may be surprised .... likely though it could be a whole frame off .... not that it matters as it merely a POC.

I was surprised that the Fahrenheit CD detected the 32x .... granted it may be a very partial check.

Isnt it possible to get a fourth option in the buffer modes? Just output the 59.91Hz as the original did. If it works, it works. That is the way the OSSC handle it?

Its not an elegant solution to output out of spec signals, but... just if the monitor supports it?

Given that the Mega SG can only output an exact 60hz signal I doubt any DAC would have any chance of working easily until Kevkris allows the firmware to output native frequency.

The 32x works just fine with switch modded consoles that output way off spec refresh rates so maybe it'd have no issues with a perfect 60hz?

Edited by Enragedwhale

Isnt it possible to get a fourth option in the buffer modes? Just output the 59.91Hz as the original did. If it works, it works. That is the way the OSSC handle it?

Its not an elegant solution to output out of spec signals, but... just if the monitor supports it?

This has been asked for in the past with the Super Nt but Analogue/Kevtris never implemented it. I hope they consider implementing it now...

This has been asked for in the past with the Super Nt but Analogue/Kevtris never implemented it. I hope they consider implementing it now...

Ye, speedgaming is a rather big community and with that as an option the SuperNt and MegaSG would be accepted consoles for speed runs.

Considering the NES and SNES run slightly faster than 60hz (apparently 60.0988) I am surprised you cannot use the Super Nt for speedrunning. You'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage already by using a 60hz system and then hooking it up to a display that has input lag of it's own. I see the Genesis runs slightly below 60hz so I can see why that wouldn't be allowed if you can't output the stock frequency.

Edited by Toth

Probably because it breaks HDMI specs and they want to remain compliant for certification/licensing. I dunno.