IGNORED

Do you use The Great Gazoo's XB 2.7s Cartridge?

Omega-TI

Gazoo's Legacy Cartridge  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own an XB 2.7s cartridge?

2. 2. I live in:

• North America
    • Central America
    • South America
    • Europe
    • Middle East
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Australia
    • Oceania

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

This is what I am getting when I press FCTN-6

attachicon.gifERROR.png

Thanks.

David

As I suspected either the rom is not seated properly or it was damaged.. If you want to send it back to me I'll fix it. Or you can try opening the case and pushing the square chip down in the socket. You can open the cart case by removing the phillips (+ bit) screw and using a flat head screwdriver prying the latches towards the center of the cart while applying pressure to the two peices pulling them apart. it should hinge on the label without removing it.

Greg

As I suspected either the rom is not seated properly or it was damaged.. If you want to send it back to me I'll fix it. Or you can try opening the case and pushing the square chip down in the socket. You can open the cart case by removing the phillips (+ bit) screw and using a flat head screwdriver prying the latches towards the center of the cart while applying pressure to the two peices pulling them apart. it should hinge on the label without removing it.

Greg

Thanks for the info. I will try pressing the ROM a little before seeing if I should send it for repair. I was hoping that it would be a software thing which someone could send me a firmware update I could apply through my nanopeb + TI basic.

Fingers crossed. This will be my weekend job :)

Images are here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229718-extended-basic-v27-suite-cartridge/page-21?do=findComment&comment=3268951

You can't flash the ROM from the TI, but you can reload the GROM if you like. Tools are included in the disk images.

If you want to do the ROM it is the 512k file and it requires a eprom burner such as the minipro with the proper adapter for the square chip, I recommend one that is zif as the others are problematic.

It's more likely it popped out a bit in transit than the chip got partially erased/corrupted.. Or it just went bad or was damaged by sunspots, customs or rabid wildebeests..

I am happy to burn another ROM chip and mail it to you if needed. LMK you'd just have to pry out the old one and replace it.

Greg

Images are here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229718-extended-basic-v27-suite-cartridge/page-21?do=findComment&comment=3268951

You can't flash the ROM from the TI, but you can reload the GROM if you like. Tools are included in the disk images.

If you want to do the ROM it is the 512k file and it requires a eprom burner such as the minipro with the proper adapter for the square chip, I recommend one that is zif as the others are problematic.

It's more likely it popped out a bit in transit than the chip got partially erased/corrupted.. Or it just went bad or was damaged by sunspots, customs or rabid wildebeests..

I am happy to burn another ROM chip and mail it to you if needed. LMK you'd just have to pry out the old one and replace it.

Greg

Thanks for your kind offer. I will first attempt to fix it myself and then if all fails I will call for help again.

On another subject matter. If I intend to someday create my own game(s) (GPL only games on GROMs) and place them on a cartridge just to show off and feel cool about it :) what should I purchase?

Thanks for your kind offer. I will first attempt to fix it myself and then if all fails I will call for help again.

On another subject matter. If I intend to someday create my own game(s) (GPL only games on GROMs) and place them on a cartridge just to show off and feel cool about it :) what should I purchase?

GROM based you need the UBERgrom board. Which is what is inside that XB27 cart ;) It supports 512k rom and many banks of GROM more than any other grom device so far.. You can easily load groms into it from the TI as well.. As stated before the ROM requires a burner.

Greg

Greg,

So given I have an XB 2.7 Cart already, what would I require to use this to run my GROM games. Am I understanding well that I already have everything I need and it is simply a matter of using some loading software to re-flash .BIN GROM files to the GROM part using a real TI? Can I even change the main menu of the XB 2.7 cart (is this menu written in the GROM?) What is in the ROM? Is it just XB 2.7?

Regards

David

Greg,

So given I have an XB 2.7 Cart already, what would I require to use this to run my GROM games. Am I understanding well that I already have everything I need and it is simply a matter of using some loading software to re-flash .BIN GROM files to the GROM part using a real TI? Can I even change the main menu of the XB 2.7 cart (is this menu written in the GROM?) What is in the ROM? Is it just XB 2.7?

Regards

David

I believe XB 2.7 is GROM/ROM,

the menu, E/A, DM2, Diagnostics, Disk Utilities are GROM only,

everything else is stored in the ROM.

You should be able to replace Diagnostics, for instance, with your own program using GROMCFG and the rest of the cart should continue working. But it would probably be better to get an additional, empty UberGROM cart so you don't risk messing up the XB2.7 cart (like I did ;)).

Actually, the more I think on this, the more I suspect no problems with the ROM. You mentioned that all of the utilities you tried except XB 2.7 worked, and most of those utilities are in the ROM. Most of the XB 2.7 program is in the Atmel 1284--not the ROM. Does the TI Diagnostic or the TI Disk Manager II start? They are completely in the Atmel. The loader that gives you the title screen with the program selections is also in the Atmel. One thought, as you have it set up with a NanoPEB: try starting it with a blank formatted disk in the DISK 1 position. I have seen some weird behavior in the past if there was a LOAD program on that disk. Try these ideas an let me know what you see. . .

• Like 1

Actually, the more I think on this, the more I suspect no problems with the ROM. You mentioned that all of the utilities you tried except XB 2.7 worked, and most of those utilities are in the ROM. Most of the XB 2.7 program is in the Atmel 1284--not the ROM. Does the TI Diagnostic or the TI Disk Manager II start? They are completely in the Atmel. The loader that gives you the title screen with the program selections is also in the Atmel. One thought, as you have it set up with a NanoPEB: try starting it with a blank formatted disk in the DISK 1 position. I have seen some weird behavior in the past if there was a LOAD program on that disk. Try these ideas an let me know what you see. . .

I will do all your suggestions this evening when I get back home. Thanks for your kind support.

Oh yeah.. I've had the DSK1 autostart issue..you can also hold down a key during the xbasic 2.7 startup and it will skip the autostart spacebar I know works for that.. might be any key

Either way his rom is failing the crc test. So it's either corrupt/damaged or not reading properly.

Edited by arcadeshopper

I still do not know why I had the strange error message when I ran the XB 2.7 cartridge diagnostics by pressing FNCT-6.

There have been other examples where FNCT-6 displayed a warning for a cart that seemed to work fine. Does Dec-2-Hex work? Can you use CALL EA from XB 2.7 to start Editor/Assembler?

Rasmus, Yes both work perfectly.

I have to ask, because this has come up before with another TI user. Are you using a P-Box? It's happened before when the "fire hose" appears to be going out of spec. The speculation is that the test requires some heavy lifting from the P-Box and if the fire hose is not 100% the result is a fail. The test was done using multiple P-Box interfaces, but only failed using the same cable repeatedly, all while the cartridge worked perfectly.

• 2 years later...

A cherished Item in my TI collection appears to have died today. My Extended BASIC 2.7s cartridge from Gazoo has become unstable. :_(

I really loved being able to use the 9640 Menu System with it, but now it locks up the TI whenever I try to use it and for some odd reason. I even have to remove power from the 32K/TIPI to get the console to run properly afterwards... even AFTER the cartridge has been removed and the consoles power recycled.

Some day in the future I'll burn a new 1284P and 49F040 to see if that is part of the problem or if it's the UberGROM itself. Now some of the programs on it will not work with the TIPI anyway, so for the foreseeable future I'll get by with the FinalGROM and just wait a second or two for a program to load.

• 11 months later...

A cherished Item in my TI collection appears to have died today. My Extended BASIC 2.7s cartridge from Gazoo has become unstable. :_(

I really loved being able to use the 9640 Menu System with it, but now it locks up the TI whenever I try to use it and for some odd reason. I even have to remove power from the 32K/TIPI to get the console to run properly afterwards... even AFTER the cartridge has been removed and the consoles power recycled.

Some day in the future I'll burn a new 1284P and 49F040 to see if that is part of the problem or if it's the UberGROM itself. Now some of the programs on it will not work with the TIPI anyway, so for the foreseeable future I'll get by with the FinalGROM and just wait a second or two for a program to load.

Is there a Final Grom 99 version of the XB 2.7 Suite Cart?

I do not currently know what are the big and crucial differences between the different XB versions.

Are the RXB 2015/2016/2018 versions similar to the XB 2.7, apart from the additional tools.

Will the RXB 2018 also get new Commands? The MLOAD command of XB2.7 is very handy.

Is there a Final Grom 99 version of the XB 2.7 Suite Cart?

No, there is no single XB2.7S image for the FinalGROM99... HOWEVER you can get practically every program that cartridge has and put them on a FinalGROM.

If you would like detailed information on RXB, it would be best to ask him personally, I'm sure he would be willing to answer your questions since he is the author.

No, there is no single XB2.7S image for the FinalGROM99... HOWEVER you can get practically every program that cartridge has and put them on a FinalGROM.

If you would like detailed information on RXB, it would be best to ask him personally, I'm sure he would be willing to answer your questions since he is the author.

Why single XB2.7S image?

The Mechtronic Basic XBPlus.bin, XBPlusd.bin, XBPlusg.bin or

Super Extended Basic (2.5, 2.6) - superxbc.bin, superxbd.bin, superxg.bin or

the RXB 2015 - rxb2015c.bin, rxb2015d.bin, rxb2015g.

I am composed of 3 parts of the program.

Actually, the XB2.7 should also be able to be loaded in FG99

Why single XB2.7S image?

The Mechtronic Basic XBPlus.bin, XBPlusd.bin, XBPlusg.bin or

Super Extended Basic (2.5, 2.6) - superxbc.bin, superxbd.bin, superxg.bin or

the RXB 2015 - rxb2015c.bin, rxb2015d.bin, rxb2015g.

I am composed of 3 parts of the program.

Actually, the XB2.7 should also be able to be loaded in FG99

because the xb27 suite is larger than the fg99 GROM memory.. so not all will fit. XB27 is around in a stand alone form without all the utilities and ea and disk managers etc.. those are all available separately as well.

Greg