IGNORED

Thinking of getting an NES

Dauber

Anyone like Batman? I remember getting that game BITD and it looked really kewl judging by the box. Then I played it and thought it was awful. As you said - then you're stuck with it.

Then there was NES Football. I remembered all I had to do was throw a screen pass and I can run 80 yards for a TD every time. Reminiscent of bunting for home runs in Atari's RealSports Baseball.

Incidentally I'm selling off my NES cart collection since I got an Everdrive. I have a thread in the auctions forum.

I love "Batman". It's one of my favorite NES games. The gameplay is kind of similiar to Ninja Gaiden series.

Something that I do to fix my NES when the connector starts acting up is slide a cart in and out of it about 10 times. The original NES Cleaning Kit was basically a cotton pad wrapped around a PCB sized board that you wet with a cleaning fluid (probably rubbing alcohol) and then performed a similar in-and-out scrubbing motion of the pins.

So I tried the region lock mod...the three carts that I got with the system didn't work -- steady orange screen...BUT....I put my (cardless) Everdrive in and....I GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE FROM THE EVERDRIVE CART!!!! WOOHOO!!!!! :) (Next step: get an SD card and load the thing up!)

After fighting with my NES for over ten years and replacing the pin connector three times, I finally got this:

https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

I contributed to their Kickstarter last year. The blinking light win is a special newly designed cart connector plus loading tray that does away with pressing down on the carts. No regrets. No more blinky screen. I've even given up the ritual of cleaning every cart before I even insert it. I haven't had one blank screen or failure since I installed it. Be advised it does have a bit of a "death grip" but it's no tighter than an SNES or top loader, you just have less of the cart to grip when pulling it out.

After fighting with my NES for over ten years and replacing the pin connector three times, I finally got this:

https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

I contributed to their Kickstarter last year. The blinking light win is a special newly designed cart connector plus loading tray that does away with pressing down on the carts. No regrets. No more blinky screen. I've even given up the ritual of cleaning every cart before I even insert it. I haven't had one blank screen or failure since I installed it. Be advised it does have a bit of a "death grip" but it's no tighter than an SNES or top loader, you just have less of the cart to grip when pulling it out.

Just a heads up on the BLW. I ordered mine in the middle of Sept and haven't seen it yet. They must be really backed up cuz they haven't updated the site either.

Just a heads up on the BLW. I ordered mine in the middle of Sept and haven't seen it yet. They must be really backed up cuz they haven't updated the site either.

I cannot vouch for the website or the reliability of them to deliver. I know I backed it and I received my BLW and it's awesome.

I cannot vouch for the website or the reliability of them to deliver. I know I backed it and I received my BLW and it's awesome.

Sorry, I didn't mean to "call you out" on the situation. I just wanted to make the OP aware that I'm currently looking into the BLW solution and while I'd like to think it's a good fix for his problem, he shouldn't expect it to be a quick remedy due to wait times for the product. Maybe my error was quoting you and I shouldn't have done so.

While I can appreciate the OP's dissatisfaction, even if I don't understand it, I still stand by my original suggestion of just skipping the whole mess and buying a SNES.

Sorry if I haven't added anything constructive to the conversation. I've been sort of following this along to see how it works out and hoping I'd have some helpful suggestions. Aren't there some circumstances where a Game Genie helps with the blinking light issue?

Sorry, I didn't mean to "call you out" on the situation.

No offense taken. Also if the OP is that concerned about the finnicky cart connector, he should probably get a toploader. Or just buy up a batch of aftermarket pin connectors and be prepared to replace them every few years. The cart loader is the NES Achillies heel and all will wear out over time and require delicate maintenence and meticulous cleaning.

Sorry if I haven't added anything constructive to the conversation. I've been sort of following this along to see how it works out and hoping I'd have some helpful suggestions.

Well SNES is a natural progression from NES. The NES isn't a bad system and niether is SNES, but both havea lot of filler crap and a lot of gems in their respective libraries. SNES is getting just as expensive as NES, possibly moreso for later games with expansion pins that cannot be played on a Powerpak or Everdrive.

Aren't there some circumstances where a Game Genie helps with the blinking light issue?

Well once your NES has been sodomized by the Game Genie, it is basically required to use one to get a reliable read. I've gotten tons of replay value and general entertainment from my Genie over the years, and believe it or not, you can daisy chain them if you stick to 8-character codes. Oftentimes I would just leave the Genie in the NES in order to play stubborn games without inputting any codes at all. I also modified one of my Genies to fit in the Blinking Light Win. You need to grind part of the tongue off with a Dremel tool.

How bad is the tight grip on carts? That's the main issue that people have with it based on the reviews I've seen.

Edit: Oops. I see that you already addressed this above.

Edited by mbd30

How bad is the tight grip on carts? That's the main issue that people have with it based on the reviews I've seen.

Edit: Oops. I see that you already addressed this above.

I have to wiggle them back and forth a bit to pull them out. 3rd party carts like Tengen and Color Dreams are especially troublesome. But I would rather put up with carts being slightly difficult to remove than being plagued with errors and read issues. The BLW also contains it's own multiregion lockout, so if you haven't already performed the lockout mod on your NES, it becomes redundant with the addition of the BLW.

Buying an NES in 2015 isn't exactly the best idea. the prices of these games are super high and I only see them going higher and higher. Im still kicking myself for not getting an NES 5-6 years ago...

other then the prices, its a great console. Lots of games on it and I think its worth it.

Just prepare to pay 30 dollars for contra.

Buying an NES in 2015 isn't exactly the best idea. the prices of these games are super high and I only see them going higher and higher. Im still kicking myself for not getting an NES 5-6 years ago...

other then the prices, its a great console. Lots of games on it and I think its worth it.

Just prepare to pay 30 dollars for contra.

Some of the more popular games are going up in price. There are still good games like "Jackal", "Batman", "Life Force", "Bionic Commando", "Ninja Gaiden", "Ninja Gaiden II", "Marble Madness" and "Blaster Master" that go for around $10 or less for a loose cart.

Some of the more popular games are going up in price. There are still good games like "Jackal", "Batman", "Life Force", "Bionic Commando", "Ninja Gaiden", "Ninja Gaiden II", "Marble Madness" and "Blaster Master" that go for around $10 or less for a loose cart.

Ill make sure to pick those up! I currently only have one game for the NES, rc pro am.

Ill make sure to pick those up! I currently only have one game for the NES, rc pro am.

There's so many good games and a number of reasonably priced ones. I just hate screwing around with the consoles if they're an issue. Marble Madness is a good little puzzler/time-waster, Lifeforce is a nice shooter. Bionic Commando is one of my favs, its a little hard to get into since it's not your classic jump type platformer but once you get used to the bionic arm it's so much fun.

BTW, stopped at a local used DVD store on my way home from work on Friday nite. They have a small selection of video games too....they had a couple of NESes for like $95 and $120...yikes. (I think they included a few games.)

2015 a bad time to get an NES? Well...make up for the price by investing in an Everdrive. Glad I did!

Everdrive loaded with a new SD card and a handful of ROMs....BINGO!!!! I'm in business!

If your Everdrive is working fine, then I'd expect your other cartridges to work as well, unless they are broken (which is unusual) or the cartridges' contacts aren't truly clean (not unusual at all). The best way to clean them is with BKF or an equivalent acid-based metal cleaner, but you should take the cartridges apart first so you can rinse all of the BKF residue off and thoroughly dry the PCB.

Edited by MaximRecoil

Personally, I don't know why people just don't import an AV famicom and then pick up a 72-60 pin converter. It seems like a lot less of a hassle, IMHO.

I have one. It's awesome. I also have an adapter from Tototek that the NES cart faces the same way as the Famicom. AV Famicom is also the best way to experience Famicom games without tuning weird cable channels. Also there's no jailbars like with the toploader.

Also if the OP waits a few months the AVS (720p HDMI NES / Famicom) will be out soon from RetroUSB. It also has built in four score and is compatible with four player Famicom and NES games. Stadium Events not included. LOL! :P

CB27D08A-01A8-69B7-4515AF4BA9FC0C1F.png

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92557

• Like 1