Two new Intellivision games were recently added. One system closer to certain Pokey Enhanced 7800 games and the motherload of 2600 titles I've been salivating over. Hopefully some of the trackball hacks appear with them. If 7800 Centipede TB quiet summer release was a preview of things to come, I am exited for it! :grin:

Note to Albert: My birthday is January 24th. Please have something out by then! ;-)

• Like 1

I have replaced Missile Control v1.14 with v1.15. This hopefully fixed the last screen rolls (fingers crossed). Also the alien ship position is more balanced now, causing a better distribution of city hits.

:thumbsup:

I played the the new 1.15 version yesterday, and I found no further bugs so far. (I tested "atari mouse" and "trak-ball" roms in PAL50 and PAL60 format. Haven't tried the "amiga mouse" and NTSC variants)

• Like 1

I noticed that there are a lot of adapters on ebay that allow to use a PC mouse (usb or ps/2) with an Amiga and/or Atari ST computer.

Since the pinout of both amiga and atari st controller port is compatible with the 2600, I think they will work with the hacks in this thread (hoping that sensitivity will be not too far compared to stock controllers).

I searched more info about those adapters and apparently they all use the "ps/2" mouse protocol, even with the "usb" connector. Those actually only work with dual mode (usb and ps/2) mice/trackballs, which were common a few years back. They usually came with a passive adapter (from usb to ps/2) and the electronics inside the device could detect it and select the appropriate protocol.

So you can't just use any usb mouse or trackball, but you must search for less recent "dual mode" ones (some of the compatible models are listed in the auctions).

Still, they could be another viable option for trying the hacks in this thread on real hardware.

There are also schematics and software for the PIC microcontroller floating around for those who prefer the DIY route.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 1

icon_thumbsup.gif

I played the the new 1.15 version yesterday, and I found no further bugs so far. (I tested "atari mouse" and "trak-ball" roms in PAL50 and PAL60 format. Haven't tried the "amiga mouse" and NTSC variants)

So I consider this one to be final. Thanks a lot for testing so thoroughly. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I just finally found a working CX-22 and got to play Missile Command.

Oh my God, this is fantastic. When I picked up an Atari last year, one of the games I had was Missile Command, and it was definitely one of those "I remember this being better than it actually is" moments. The game itself is fine but the cursor movement via the joystick was so cumbersome.

Thank you so much for this!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure it is probably listed somewhere, but how do i tell if my CX-80 is CX-22 or cx 80 compatible? I bought it sealed brand new, has like 6 different languages on the box, silver box. Is there something inside the trackball itself i can use to determine which versions of these hacks i need?

I'm sure it is probably listed somewhere, but how do i tell if my CX-80 is CX-22 or cx 80 compatible? I bought it sealed brand new, has like 6 different languages on the box, silver box. Is there something inside the trackball itself i can use to determine which versions of these hacks i need?

It is a CX-22.

Also the first download on page one is a Trak-Ball Detect program if you can run it on real hardware. Just move the ball and it will detect the type of signal detected.

If you can't run that, it is a CX-22.

It is a CX-22.

Also the first download on page one is a Trak-Ball Detect program if you can run it on real hardware. Just move the ball and it will detect the type of signal detected.

If you can't run that, it is a CX-22.

Yeah don't have a way to run the detect program on my 7800. But i shall move forward as though it is a CX-22, thanks.

I even question now whether or not factory modded CX-80 is true or just a bad guess from someone who acquired an Amiga-modded one. How many Amiga users total could have done this?

Anyway, the CX-80's in the shrink wrapped multi-language box are CX-22 output. I have two.

I just got the latest 2017 AtariAge catalog with a recent order. Back page of the catalog lists all of the 2600 trak-ball conversions on it:

attachicon.gifTrackball AA catalog.jpg

Nice.

With Missile Control, and with permission from the homebrew author Colony 7, that makes a nice collection of 10 for the 2600!

Plus the great 7800 Centipede Trak-Ball with 2 Trak-Ball players at the same time option. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Colony 7 won't make it, sorry.

:sad:

Missile Command TB is out of stock, any more coming soon?

Perhaps it have been updated? Multicarts with a selection menu (Select to choose, Reset to load game) for each trackball standard would be ideal as opposed to three separate cart versions for each game. Support would otherwise be a logistical nightmare.

I definitely plan on picking up at least the 'pede hacks right away if nothing else. So many great titles, so little money...

I even question now whether or not factory modded CX-80 is true or just a bad guess from someone who acquired an Amiga-modded one. How many Amiga users total could have done this?

Anyway, the CX-80's in the shrink wrapped multi-language box are CX-22 output. I have two.

Agree 100%. Atari would not have modified the cx-80 for ST mouse and not put marking on the product to indicate it. It makes no sense. Any of these hacked cx-80 floating around were either modified by the owner or possibly some computer dealers who sold them with ST's.

Until we see one shred of evidence that Atari modified these cx-80's, we should stop spreading the rumor. It just leads to confusion.

• Like 2

icon_frown.gif

Not in my hands, unfortunately.

Perhaps it have been updated? Multicarts with a selection menu (Select to choose, Reset to load game) for each trackball standard would be ideal as opposed to three separate cart versions for each game. Support would otherwise be a logistical nightmare.

That's the plan, but with default auto detection and selection override (just in case...).
  • Like 2

Agree 100%. Atari would not have modified the cx-80 for ST mouse and not put marking on the product to indicate it. It makes no sense. Any of these hacked cx-80 floating around were either modified by the owner or possibly some computer dealers who sold them with ST's.

Until we see one shred of evidence that Atari modified these cx-80's, we should stop spreading the rumor. It just leads to confusion.

It might be a good idea to check Atari's own advertisements in Atari Explorer magazine back in 1985/86 to see what they were offering. They were AV modding 4-port 5200s and selling lots of old inventory in bundles so it's conceivable they modded some of the Trak-Balls. Although it's more likely that dealers did the mods themselves. Reminds me of the one Atari dealer at the World of Atari festival that was modding the 5200 carry cases to hold STs.