IGNORED

Carrot Kingdom™ - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

Hey all!

I got a lot done on my game today, and I feel that it's mature enough that I can make a post about it. :)

After making a few VCS demos and such but not feeling like finishing them, I thought I'd come up with a game for the VCS I'd get passionate about. After Sprybug's awesome Sidescrolling games, I figured I'd try and make one myself, because sidescrollers are always awesome. :) Mine's not quite as complex as it only scrolls one way, but I figured I'd keep it simple for my first one.

Binaries:

Current Binary .8a - Update 10/16/2017 - Fixed Ghosts

Old .8 - Update 9/23/2017 Re-coded collision, added 2 levels and under the hood changes.

OLD .07h - Update 2/19/2017 Fixes weird bug with input capacitor (MUCH THANKS DIRTY HAIRY!) fixes FBP compatibility.

OLD - .07g - Update 2/14/2017 (Later Evening) Adjustment to keep from Breadcat Battle 2x.

OLD - Update - 2/14/2017 (Evening) Adds ability to move and shoot and shortens pre-Bread Cat jump.

OLD - Update - 2/14/2017 - A lot of polishes, fixes, coloured levels, multi-enemies, etc.

OLD - Update 7/28/2016 - Fixes flamethrower sound buzzing on lives screen.

OLD - 7/28/2016 - Reduces Scanline usage to 262, tweak UI, Flamethrower Bugfix.

OLD - Update 7/15/2016 - Fixes Jittering.

OLD - Update 6/7/2016 - Updated Physics Demo.

OLD - Update 6/6/2016 - Teaser demo! :3

Twitterdcc3013.jpg

post-23974-0-48629800-1477866056.png

Lush Multicolour landscapes full of danger! :o

JinnyGameBankswitch986d_4_WalkingBG_3_2.

JinnyGameBankswitch976_3.png

Current Title Screen:

post-23974-0-81937000-1536418632_thumb.p

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 28

Thanks for the motivation guys, I'm trying to get a demo ready as soon as I can, so I can get some feedback. :)

Just need to tweak a few things first, and finish the first boss. :D

Runs great on the Harmony, but not on the Supercharger yet. It'd make a cool Multi-Load game. Runs but some things must be butting up against the RAM because it's a bit wonky when it scrolls.

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

Thanks for the motivation guys, I'm trying to get a demo ready as soon as I can, so I can get some feedback. :)

Just need to tweak a few things first, and finish the first boss. :D

Runs great on the Harmony, but not on the Supercharger yet. It'd make a cool Multi-Load game. Runs but some things must be butting up against the RAM because it's a bit wonky when it scrolls.

Cool game and scrolling engine! :)

Make sure FFF8 isn't touched, sounds like the SuperCharger's write protect switch is getting turned off.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr. SQL glad you like it! :)

Right. :D I could have sworn I was avoiding FFF8, before I loaded it up on my SuperCharger, but perhaps some branch or something is hitting it inadvertently. I'll have to double check.

I'm in the process of finishing up the final section of the level, so I can show what's behind door #1. ;) It's pretty cool, I tell you what. :3

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

New Teaser video! Check out Boss #1 The Bread Cat! Can Jinny best this foe!? :)

I'm also working on getting the playable demo put together so I can get feedback, but always something to do, but slowly but surely it's coming about. :D

JinnyGame2200Boss.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 5

That cat looks really neat! As does Jinny. And the tail slap is a really nice detail.

Could the "Bread Cat" text maybe done with a 48 pixel sprite (two lines) or a flickering 96 pixel sprite instead of with PF? It looks so...lo-res...

And I guess in the final version the green lower half won't start in the middle of the scanline. :)

First try at the Title Screen (that's about all I have left besides writing the music engine for the first demo) any suggestions or anything? I really like the lettering personally. :3 I'm up for whatever tricks you may have that I've not thought of. :)

EDIT: After some more playing around, I'm going to keep the text and ditch the background. I have a cuter, simpler thing in mind. :)

JinnyTitle100.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 4

First try at the Title Screen (that's about all I have left besides writing the music engine for the first demo) any suggestions or anything? I really like the lettering personally. :3 I'm up for whatever tricks you may have that I've not thought of. :)

EDIT: After some more playing around, I'm going to keep the text and ditch the background. I have a cuter, simpler thing in mind. :)

JinnyTitle100.png

I think that would look good. I like the text!

• Like 1

Thanks man, yeah I think the bubble letters converted to PF Graphics pretty well. :)

Haven't gonna get rid of the background and make a cutesy-er arcadey-er graphics to go with it. :)

EDIT: After some thinking and playing around, here is a screenshot from Stella of my current idea which, I rather like. Maybe cutesy for some, but I like it. ;)

Any thoughts?

JinnyTitle200.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

Thanks man, yeah I think the bubble letters converted to PF Graphics pretty well. :)

Haven't gonna get rid of the background and make a cutesy-er arcadey-er graphics to go with it. :)

EDIT: After some thinking and playing around, here is a screenshot from Stella of my current idea which, I rather like. Maybe cutesy for some, but I like it. ;)

Any thoughts?

JinnyTitle100_1.png

I like it. Colorful and oldskool arcade like!

• Like 1