IGNORED

How to beat the pterodactyl in Joust?

Propane13

(Stupid story...)

I just got a 2600 this year, after almost 30 years of wanting one. I hear Joust is great, so I get it. People were right, it is. I immediately become hooked. Played it a bunch ever since.

The FIRST time the pterodactyl shows up, I kill it. Completely by chance.

And it's been tormenting me ever since that I can't do it again, except on purpose.

Unfortunately, this thread has only made me realize that I could be waiting another few decades.

Good luck to you all.

• Like 2

(Stupid story...)

I just got a 2600 this year, after almost 30 years of wanting one. I hear Joust is great, so I get it. People were right, it is. I immediately become hooked. Played it a bunch ever since.

The FIRST time the pterodactyl shows up, I kill it. Completely by chance.

And it's been tormenting me ever since that I can't do it again, except on purpose.

Unfortunately, this thread has only made me realize that I could be waiting another few decades.

Good luck to you all.

The timing of this thread getting made is kinda funny for me, because I had a similar experience this week. I've had a copy of Joust for the 2600 for a good two years or so but never really played it since I remembered not liking it all that much as a kid when I played it on my older brother's ColecoVision with an Atari 2600 expansion module. But, this week I was bored and looking for a new game to play on the 2600 so I decided to pop in Joust and give it a try.

Needless to say I quickly realized that the game was awesome and that I had no idea what the childhood me was thinking. I played it for a good hour or so, always dodging the pterodactyls because I didn't think you could kill them, and then one time I slipped up and ran into one head on. Much to my surprise the pterodactyl went "pop!" and I didn't die! I spent the next half hour attempting to recreate this feat with no success, and I still have no idea how exactly I managed to kill the thing. I'm pretty sure I landed right on the tip of it's beak when it's mouth was closed, but even after dozens of attempts I haven't been able to do it again.

I haven't played the home version of Joust in a while, as I've been hooked on the arcade version in MAME for a few years, but I always used to kill the Pterodactyl in the 2600 translation as well. Here's what to do:

1. Use a CX-40, or another controller that allows for extremely rapid button-pushing. We're talking machine-gun speed.

2. Develop the fastest firing thumb in the world. I'm afraid you'll have to settle for second place, actually, as I built up my thumb speed to a ludicrous degree while playing The Empire Strikes Back throughout the '80s.

3. Flap against the top border so rapidly that your ostrich appears to be hovering in place. You'll occasionally bounce very slightly downward, but for the most part, you'll appear to be stationary.

4. Face the Pterodactyl when he flies in and watch him die.

That's the most effective method I've found, anyway. You have to skewer him perfectly in the center of his beak, and your lance happens to line up perfectly when you're flapping against the top. If memory serves, which it usually does, the Pterodactyl's beak has to be closed.

I'll try to film myself killing the Pterodactyl this weekend and post a video here on Monday, but it would be awesome if one of you guys beat me to it!

Remember that you can push the button repeatedly without lifting your thumb. Just really spaz out your thumb and flap so quickly that it starts to hurt. No winged prehistoric monster dies without some pain on the hero's part, after all! :D

Pterry hunting was one of my favorite things to do in 5200 Joust.. you can kill him on the beak BUT you can also kill him on either of the 2 points on it's tail. Good fun if you can do it. :)

That I'm sure it it IS possible to kill it on the 2600 version (I remember the animation of it going left to right rapidly when killed) but it's just a lot harder to do. I was never a huge fan of the VCS version since I had the 5200 version though so it was never something I went into depth to try...

Edited by NE146

I did not have Joust on the 2600 BITD, but I did play an unlicensed clone on the Coco. Unfortunately, I was never able to kill the pterodactyl, so there was one level that I was never able to get past (as that was the goal of the level).

@NE146

What's your icon/avatar?

I can't quite decide between a man with a jackhammer or a man repeatedly bashing his penis to the ground "head on"

Read his user name out loud and that should answer the question for you. ;)

Because somebody's gotta say it:

It's the half man/half penis dude wanking himself from atop the building in Beat 'em and Eat 'em.