IGNORED

Albertan Gamers?; How's the gaming here?

Torr

I just recently moved to Edmonton Alberta. I know we have a few other canucks here at AA. Anyone here from Alberta, or Edmonton more directly? Any good game stores, thrift shops, arcades, conventions, paloozas, etc.

I don't really know anyone here yet besides co-workers, and I'd like to find the gaming community here and talk about something besides weightlifting and football.

West Edmonton Mall has a puny arcade. Many of the larger Cineplex theatres have a few modern machines. Nexwave used game store has 3 locations, by NAIT, in Sherwood Park and in Stony Plain, I think. Another store on Stony Plain road and I think 156 St called Just for fun.

Not much else. Prices and selection at the used game stores varies, not much pre NES stuff, overpriced when it does show up.

There is also the Flea Market, weekends only, on 111 ave near 127 street across from Links Clinic. Several vendors there. Same pricing and selection issue as the storefronts above. Kind of wasteland overall.

Spotty wifi where I am or I'd give you some web links for the above stuff.

If you can make it down the road to Red Deer, there is Games, Music, Inc. -- located Downtown. The selection is just amazing, but prices vary wildly; between reasonable and outrageous.

I left Edmonton (for Calgary) in 2009, but the various thrift shops were fairly thoroughly picked-over by then. You might randomly find something, but don't expect to.

Unlike Southern Ontario, there are no game shows or swap meets here in Alberta. Calgary had an arcade game show a few years back, but that is is the only event that I ever heard of/attended.