IGNORED

PRGE 2015 - The convention pictures thread!

Rev

Great event people, one question : Without counting people of this list , how is the interesting of the public ? Have anybody notice what it is ?

The attendance was pretty high I'd say. More than CGE I'd guess. I was surprised how long the lineup was yesterday for early admission.

Great event people, one question : Without counting people of this list , how is the interesting of the public ? Have anybody notice what it is ?

I was stunned at how big this thing is. 2-3x the floor space of CGE, for those that have been, and yet it still felt "busy". Plenty of families taking the kids out for a fun weekend day. Plenty of "other" stuff being sold - video game themed, but for example we got some Tetris-shaped soaps for her mother (they also had rupee-shaped). There are many art vendors as well. It's not JUST a bunch of nerds buying rare Intellivison variants where the "C" on page 6 of the manual is in a slightly different font.

I'd say this is where comic conventions were 10 years ago. Still mostly dominated by the die-hards like us, but definitely not JUST that. I could see this becoming a bit more mainstream, given the right promotion and such. For example, there were several tables of cheap Xbox 360/One/PS3/PS4/Wii/U games - at ridiculously better prices than Gamestop or whatever. I'm talking $10 current generation, $3 previous generation. A parent could save quite a lot of money on that alone, even if they cared little about "true" retro gaming.

Just like how comic cons have become pretty maintstream, there's a way to make this even bigger. That being said, we're staying at the hotel literally across the street and the people at the front desk had no idea it was going on. So it's still pretty unknown. :P I think they expect 6000 or so people over the weekend, which is pretty good. These things used to attract a few hundred at best.

• Like 2

Wow... Pretty uuuge! What's the relative proportion of true classics to newer NES+ material compared to CGE?

Similar? Maybe a bit better? There are a LOT more handhelds and tabletops. More bins of cheap loose 2600 carts. More oddballs like Astrocade and Fairchild carts. More chances to buy a 5200 or a 7800, reasonably cheap. CGE (at least last year) felt to me to have way too much NES/SNES/Genesis stock.

One thing I noticed is a LOT more import stuff. More Famicom, more bootleg, more Japanese Saturn, you name it. It's nice to see more variety. This happens on the west coast, I've noticed.

Really not much Intellivision though. Common stuff in very poor condition boxes. 50 cent shells at a few places, I suppose. A loose Thin Ice is about the "rarest" item - oh and the Tandyvision someone posted a pic of. No copies of Blix in sight, unfortunately :(

Overall I've found the pricing to be way better than CGE. There were a lot of good deals yesterday - and finally, people with bins of common and semi-common stuff that was actually priced, and not $5 for 2600 Pac-Man kinda prices. CGE had too many vendors that had a "ask me" pricing system, which seriously turns off casual purchasers. I'd highly recommend PRGE for anyone who's just starting out, or wanting to branch into a new system - common stuff was as cheap as I've seen it anywhere, and I bet most dealers would be glad as hell to make a bulk deal on their loose 2600 carts based on how much quantity is here.

Similar? Maybe a bit better? There are a LOT more handhelds and tabletops. More bins of cheap loose 2600 carts. More oddballs like Astrocade and Fairchild carts. More chances to buy a 5200 or a 7800, reasonably cheap. CGE (at least last year) felt to me to have way too much NES/SNES/Genesis stock.

One thing I noticed is a LOT more import stuff. More Famicom, more bootleg, more Japanese Saturn, you name it. It's nice to see more variety. This happens on the west coast, I've noticed.

Really not much Intellivision though. Common stuff in very poor condition boxes. 50 cent shells at a few places, I suppose. A loose Thin Ice is about the "rarest" item - oh and the Tandyvision someone posted a pic of. No copies of Blix in sight, unfortunately :(

Overall I've found the pricing to be way better than CGE. There were a lot of good deals yesterday - and finally, people with bins of common and semi-common stuff that was actually priced, and not $5 for 2600 Pac-Man kinda prices. CGE had too many vendors that had a "ask me" pricing system, which seriously turns off casual purchasers. I'd highly recommend PRGE for anyone who's just starting out, or wanting to branch into a new system - common stuff was as cheap as I've seen it anywhere, and I bet most dealers would be glad as hell to make a bulk deal on their loose 2600 carts based on how much quantity is here.

I'll just add that there are 2 vendors selling a number of Intellivision homebrews. For anyone still there, please go to Good Deal Games and Charles Dysert booths.

Overall, the Intellivision representation was lower at PRGE that CGE 2014, but that could also be due to that Keith Robinson + 11 BSR folks were at CGE, some of whom brought rare items to sell or auction.

• Like 2

So playing Star Castle at the AtariAge booth was interesting until I got interrupted by some random guy playing Space Rocks beside me...

Albert probably would agree that is was amazing to hear him talk about his obscure VCS game that he wrote back in the day along with his thoughts on VCS kernels...

[Click to enlarge]

post-38229-0-32702800-1445209119_thumb.png

Awesome guy, very friendly and engaging. I'm not normally prone to being start struck...but holy shit that was an experience! Thanks to Tod!

Edited by Tarzilla
  • Like 5

First time I ever played with a 5200

post-38229-0-35277500-1445209962_thumb.jpg

Cool Joust cocktail

post-38229-0-55121900-1445210315_thumb.jpg

Albert had an Intellivision and Piggy Bank running

post-38229-0-90732500-1445210322_thumb.jpg

Nice to see a Berzerk/Frenzy multi in action. Too bad it doesn't save high scores...

post-38229-0-74514900-1445210329_thumb.jpg

Lots of pinball

post-38229-0-71272400-1445210336_thumb.jpg

My high score was still there until about 2 oclock sunday, then someone reset the machine...

post-38229-0-38962600-1445210343_thumb.jpg

Strangest thing I saw was this Tron video pinball machine.

post-38229-0-03095900-1445210353_thumb.jpg

• Like 1