IGNORED

Colecovision Cartridge Schematics

Xenophon

Hi.

I'm looking to making some bare Colecovision Cartridge PCBs does anyone have any schematics or a link to some. I was thinking of making a batch of bare PCBs & sell any surplus at cost and make some plastic cases using a 3D printer so they'd look just like the original ones.

The idea of 3-D printing plastic cartridge cases is interesting , making low cost plastic cases held together with a few self-tapping screws ?

The idea of 3-D printing plastic cartridge cases is interesting , making low cost plastic cases held together with a few self-tapping screws ?

Given the total plastic required it still too expensive. Collectorvision and Team Pixelboy produce great quantities of inexpensive cartridge cases.

It's possible to make an infinity of snazzy things with a 3D printer, but the same question always applies: Does the plastic have the properties required for a particular application? Does it warp under hot conditions? Does it chip, crack or break under physical pressure or long-term usage? Does the plastic become brittle with old age, even if you rarely touch it? Does contact with water or liquid chemicals alter its properties? Those are things I would look into before adopting 3D-printed plastic as a solution for cartridge or console enclosures.

ah yes. I made a 3d printed colecovision cart shell last year. This is rougher than it could be as I was still prototyping but i decided it was not going to be good enough at least with my first generation 3d printer.

WP 20151028 004

WP 20151028 002

Current rules for 3D printers (both rules apply):

1. 3D printers are awesome.

2. 3D printers suck.

There is a low-cost plastic injection system I found... for 1500$ US

http://techkits.com/

However, the molds is a bit too small for a cartridge and as I look more carefully about the plastic injection process, I found out that the surface of plastic is proportional to the pressure you need to apply and that per square inch.. it could be up to 5 tons!

I wonder how we could reduce the pressure? As the ABS plastic need to be at 400F (200C), I wonder if the aluminium mold would be around 210F (100C) instead of room temperature during the injection.. if that could help the plastic to flow correctly using a lowest pressure. I am thinking about having a contact water system where hot or cold water could be use to keep the mold warm during injection and cold water once the injection is completed.

Without having access to a factory or lab for experiments... I think so far the best for producing injection plastic with your custom mold + small productions could be a website like this one:

http://www.protolabs.com/production