IGNORED

Scramble - 2600

johnnywc

Even though Scramble and Super Cobra arcade games were in our house & garage growing up (usually sold quickly though), I remember drooling over Parker Bros. Super Cobra ads in the back of comic books at the time. Never had or even saw the 2600 game BITD, but played it years later and was pretty impressed all told. Played it again just the other day, got pretty far and was surprised at how many levels they crammed into the thing. I suspect a non ARM version of Scramble would be similar - but with today's programming techniques and tricks, maybe a little smoother scrolling, slightly better graphics and a few more items to shoot at?

Even though Scramble and Super Cobra arcade games were in our house & garage growing up (usually sold quickly though), I remember drooling over Parker Bros. Super Cobra ads in the back of comic books at the time. Never had or even saw the 2600 game BITD, but played it years later and was pretty impressed all told. Played it again just the other day, got pretty far and was surprised at how many levels they crammed into the thing. I suspect a non ARM version of Scramble would be similar - but with today's programming techniques and tricks, maybe a little smoother scrolling, slightly better graphics and a few more items to shoot at?

Background scrolling wouldn't be any smoother - you're limited to playfield resolution, just like Scramble is. What could be smoother, is how the player's ship moves. In Super Cobra, it's very jerky, because the ship moves in a grid that approximately matches the playfield. In Scramble, the ship moves at single-pixel resolution.

• Like 3

I got Super Cobra, need to actually play it sometime. Lotta games I haven't actually played yet. Who else picked this up at a resale shop and was instantly reminded of the villain from G.I. Joe? (or Robot Chicken if you were too young to remember the G.I. Joe cartoons). :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_(G.I._Joe)

I was (and still am... so and so) pretty good at Scramble in the arcades, but not as good at all playin' Super Cobra.

After all, I bought Parker's Super Cobra for the VCS ("sight unseen" and without reading a magazine review, before... !!!) back in the day for the reason it was the only Scramble-like game on my beloved console... and I played it really a lot !

BUT (there's always a "but"...) I remember what I said the very first time I see it :

"HEY ! ... what the h**k is this thing ??!! It seems they have used the same system of VCS' Defender : front missile and this time also bombs disappear if you repeatedly press the fire button !!! SHAME ! I can't do any "strifing", one of the most important characteristic of the arcade game !!!"

:_( :_( :_( :_( :_(

Well, after all it was said about John's outstanding Scramble homebrew porting, I have to say (but I think I already did it... maybe in one of my first post here in this thread) that since the very first time I played it I found the "strifing feature" again, as I used to do in the Arcade... and in my opinion it is one of the most important "added values" of this game, apart graphics and technical merits !

Arcade feeling is "critical" when talking'bout portings...

Pole Position has it, Moon Patrol has it... Jungle Hunt, Asteroids, Ms.pac-Man, Vanguard, TRACK & FIELD (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)... and also Frogger have it !

... Parker's Super Cobra does NOT have it !

And now, Scramble OWNS it !

:thumbsup:

• Like 5

Hi again, people
Listen....... could you do me a great favor ?
... I am doing a kind of artwork for a personal box in european version, but since I know well the Italian language (I think ... :-o), less for the English and very, very little Spanish, German and French, I have translated the original introduction of the game via google translate ...
:_(
If there is around here any spanish, german and french ('course ;-)) ... could you, in your spare time, translate properly this "intro" ?
post-10922-0-39179700-1484343546_thumb.jpg

Yhank you so much, anticipately ;-) :thumbsup: ;-) :thumbsup: !
  • Like 1

Hi again, people
Listen....... could you do me a great favor ?
... I am doing a kind of artwork for a personal box in european version, but since I know well the Italian language (I think ... :-o), less for the English and very, very little Spanish, German and French, I have translated the original introduction of the game via google translate ...
:_(
If there is around here any spanish, german and french ('course ;-)) ... could you, in your spare time, translate properly this "intro" ?
attachicon.gifScramble_box_PAL_Infos.jpg

Yhank you so much, anticipately ;-) :thumbsup: ;-) :thumbsup: !

Sorry I cannot help as I am monolingual. I did visit Italy on an Art history trip with classmates in 2005, and it is a beautiful country. Some of the best food in the world too. Everything is so fresh, unlike the United States where items are shipped frozen or stored in refrigerated warehouses.

Once upon a time there was an Asteroids clone for the Macintosh, where you were blowing up floating, rotating half-spheres. The name was... you guessed it: Hemiroids.

Whatever you do... do not do an image search for that game.

Just sayin'.

Well they made a Tapeworm and a Montezuma's revenge for Atari; couldn't be much worse than those! :lol: :lolblue:

• Like 1

Yep, Tom : It's ALL from Google translate icon_tears.gif . I only did some "adjustments" from what I can understand about the Saxon and Latin languages...

Do you want to address the reader formally ("Sie") or informally ("du")? Back then formal language was common, today it is usually informal.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Yup, let's go with "Sie" then.

Achtung vor dem nächsten Berg! Steuern Sie ihr Schiff durch unwegsames Gelände, um die feindliche Basis zu zerstören! Doch vorsichtiges Fliegen allein wird nicht genügen. Sie müssen Raketen, UFOs, Feuerbällen und einigen sehr engen Tunnel trotzen. Nur wenige habe jemals die feindliche Basis gesehen, geschweige denn sie zerstört. Werden Sie einer der wenigen Auserwählten sein? Wie weit können Sie in unser SCRAMBLE System eindringen?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Yup, let's go with "Sie" then.

Achtung vor dem nächsten Berg! Steuern Sie ihr Schiff durch unwegsames Gelände, um die feindliche Basis zu zerstören! Doch vorsichtiges Fliegen allein wird nicht genügen. Sie müssen Raketen, UFOs, Feuerbällen und einigen sehr engen Tunnel trotzen. Nur wenige habe jemals die feindliche Basis gesehen, geschweige denn sie zerstört. Werden Sie einer der wenigen Auserwählten sein? Wie weit können Sie in unser SCRAMBLE System eindringen?

Thanks, Thomas ! ... I'm writing it right now on the backside box artwork :thumbsup: