IGNORED

Dreamers' corner: Did Jaguar show full potential, or not?

Atlantis

I am going to make this single public exception and react to you.

[Switching vocabulary to sh3-rg-appropriate form]

WARNING : Strong Language | Disturbing Bathroom scene

Something happened to you that you became so hopelessly FUCKING delusional and believe I would do the same stupid mistake I did in past with the Klax binary, because of you.

How in the FUCK did you manage to fuck up your profile that I'm not on your ignore list anymore ? My post wasn't quoted, so you must have explicitly de-ignored me. The FUCK is wrong with you <SMFH>...

Yes, I know. It's the age (probably Alzheimer) ! You even forgot to insert your typical "funny" British* joke/GIF.

I just got an idea of one - stand in front of the bathroom door frame and ask for help one of your sub-8-bit partners - when they slap you, watch how the frame bounces your head (ever so slightly more bloody) back. Repeat ad nauseum (actually not very long) :-)

Heh, I would actually pay serious money to see a GIF of that !

Whoever is taking care of you, is obviously slacking. Then again, how much can one expect from UK Healthcare...

*British = English (well...)

[Switching vocabulary back to default form]

So the moral of this story is, Vlad's a douche. Got it.

• Like 4

LOL now the Jag's unharnessed POWAH can compete w the xbox360? I truly don't know what to expect each time I visit this forum.

LOL now that isn't what he said. He said it can do that style of game. Not like the 360 can but similar. But of course what we can expect is you'll hop in here to be annoying. And pay money to do so.

Damn it. Thanksgiving and all. Nevermind.

The Jaguar has a very small user base, many of which were there when the system was fresh off the market in the '90s. Active, yes, but compared to other communities, It's hardly the most active. Compare it to the Sega, Nintendo, or even the PC Engine and Neo-Geo communities, it's just a drop in the bucket in comparison. It has a huge lead on the 3DO, CD-I and other obscure platform user bases (Pippin, FM Towns Marty, etc), but that's about it. Hardly "the most active out there".

I said consoles of the 90s but I should have been more clear. I meant among its peers. 3do, PSX, Saturn, 32x etc. It has one of the most active user base and development communities of the 'Next Generation' consoles.

The community is bigger than most realize I think. With what cautious estimate of almost 1k skunkboards sold? With more being clamored for? I was just at an Atari get together last week with at least 3 Jaguar owners who did not have skunkboards. At the PRGE meetings their are chunks of Jag owners who don't own skunkboards. And I don't think any of those were at this last meeting except Paul. And I am pretty sure none of them were the ones on here going 'where can I get a skunkboarfd!' I think MOS6507 now has one but the rest of those there did not. I was the only one. And like I said I think around 1k skunkboards sold.

Edited by JagChris

So the moral of this story is, Vlad's a douche. Got it.

Well to be fair... if someone is aiming for the position of the next great POWA pushing Jaguchrist who promises the world, delivers nothing near (or often nothing at all), and desperately craves the attention of a small group of incomprehensibly sack swinging minions - they've got some historically rather enormous doucheshoes to fill.

• Like 6

The best idea - how to convey the 60 fps - that I have come up with so far is the following:

1. Establish 2 vertical lines, 30 pixels apart

2. Let engine run at full speed and get it to move the walls at full speed, e.g. move the wall right 30 frames in first half second and then another 30 frames in second half second. 30+30 = 60.

3. Repeat it for 10 seconds.

Go and grab tearslikefuckimaginary3dnonengine.com - you might need it.

You need a sync after the buffer swap. Oh except you don't know what double buffering is, do you...... rofl.

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 5

@Save2600:

I quite often return to Iron Soldier 3 on PS1 (played via the PS3) and i rather enjoy it.

It seems a lot tougher than the Jaguar original, which is why i've yet to get that far in and sadly seemed to take a beating from the press...seen scores of 4/10, 4.3/10 etc.

I believe the NUON version has cleaner textures, visuals sharper etc, but it seems fine with PS1 enhancements turned on, via PS3.

I prefer the control method on PS3 pad as well to Jaguar one, but that might be because i've not touched a Jaguar pad for so long.

• Like 1

From a commercial standpoint I think the Jaguar failed to live up to it's full potential but from a personal standpoint the Jaguar has lived up to my expectations. I bought my Jaguar in April of 1994 and my Jag CD in 1999 and these devices are amungst my prised possesions. While the Jaguar's library is not very large the selection of games are some of the most unique games you'll find on other console.

I of course don't think it hit its potential either with 2D or 3D.

In 3D it will never be a PSX obviously for throwing around polies. But I think more was waiting than what we have seen.

Several months ago someone who has done 3D for a long long time (NOT Vladr) took a look at the Dactyl Joust video and was very impressed with the apparent resolution and performance High Voltage Software achieved with that work on our favorite cat. But that may have been a result of the excellent custom development toolset they created for the Jaguar. It may not be anywhere near so easy to achieve/recreate that kind of performance without those tools.

And speaking of which it would have been nice if the Jaguar had had better tools support. Even after all this time Atari had no idea that John Carmack had made/targeted a C compiler for the Jaguar's GPU. 20 years later and they had no idea. Neither did they even know of the success High Voltage Software had with their GPU C compiler until a couple years ago. Atari thought it was unusable because of the GPU bugs. Impossibru! Threw up their hands. Not being saddled with such a limiting mindset HVS blew right through this bit of impossibru-ity and used it for everything they did on the Jaguar except WMCJ and NBA Jam TE.

I think a deadly mix was created with some rushed deadlines and incompetent/uncaring developers to see what we get today.

No I think a chunk more was waiting to be dug up in all directions. I think that's why most of us are here. For some reason this crazy machine intrigues us. And for all those who hate the 'what if' threads there may not even have been a Jaguar community without this mystery. I believe those developers here who berate those who wonder about these things are berating the very reason anyone is here to give them any attention at all.

Well said

• Like 1

Fumes are bad, mmmkay?

If fumes can empower big old middle-aged men to live out atari teenygirl fantasies, if they fuel dullards and simpletons to explore perverse developer wannabe roleplay, then who's to say the fumes aren't a valuable and necessary resource when they play a part in keeping these people off the streets and safely behind their keyboards?

What a time to be alive!
powa-chong-chbfn.png
With helpfulfriendly input from rear, state of bliss most satisfaction can be reach in optimum givings.
  • Like 6

In a way I start to understand your "fight" a bit, but still will keep walking the golden brick road between.

When one awakens to the realisation that there is no fight, all roads become golden, fumes take on the bouquet of summer blooms.

• Like 1

No fighting competition in reality, and a *landscape* of golden bricks for the blessed.

More roads, too confusing, too semi-blessed, I'm only here to discuss (mostly) action oriented games "liquidating wicked witches" and experiences around that. Call me mortal. But ofc I need games to play, so keep it (the good fight) up!

(Wicked witches inside games, not here on the forum [you tend to never liquidate!].)

Posted Today, 7:04 PM

high voltage, on 26 Nov 2015 - 6:57 PM, said:

Rayman is of course, a game which reached its potential on Atari Jaguar, as the programmer Michel Ancel explains in Retro Gamer:

I chose the Jaguar for Rayman because it was the most powerful console at the time It was the only console to make it graphical possible, for what I had in mind.

And then reached it's sales potential on the Sony Playstation :-)

Edited by Lost Dragon

Rayman is of course, a game which reached its potential on Atari Jaguar, as the programmer Michel Ancel explains in Retro Gamer:

I chose the Jaguar for Rayman because it was the most powerful console at the time It was the only console to make it graphical possible, for what I had in mind.

From the screenshots available of the SNES version of Rayman, there is a HUGE improvement on the Jaguar version. I guess 3DO could handle it, but at 30 FPS, like its own Gex and Johnny Bazookatune.

• Like 1

From the screenshots available of the SNES version of Rayman, there is a HUGE improvement on the Jaguar version. I guess 3DO could handle it, but at 30 FPS, like its own Gex and Johnny Bazookatune.

There's no reason the 3DO couldn't have easily matched the other versions, so yeah, there were two consoles out at that time that could do it.

• Like 3

Posted Today, 7:04 PM

high voltage, on 26 Nov 2015 - 6:57 PM, said:

And then reached it's sales potential on the Sony Playstation :-)

I didn't go down further with the quote :-)