IGNORED

Jaguar Component Video Mod Attempt

SwampFox56

It won't work as is unless you've got a display which accepts 15 kHz signals thru VGA, and those are pretty rare (very old VGA monitors like the early NEC Multisyncs, a few LCD TV sets and monitors, some video projectors).

By the way, the "vertical sync output" on the A/V port is actually a composite sync output.

• Like 1

It won't work as is unless you've got a display which accepts 15 kHz signals thru VGA, and those are pretty rare (very old VGA monitors like the early NEC Multisyncs, a few LCD TV sets and monitors, some video projectors).

By the way, the "vertical sync output" on the A/V port is actually a composite sync output.

Damn... I was hoping I could VGA mod the Jaguar instead and YPbPr mod something else (like maybe the Saturn?) Anyways, if the information about VSYNC being CSYNC is true then I guess inquiring was worth while.

So I was just looking up the pinout for the Jaguar and I just found out that there's a V-Sync, H-Sync, and RGB select pins on the Jaguar A/V out.

You should be able to make an entirely external component mod for the Jag off that port. Only thing you'd need to do would be to add a 5V regulator as the only voltage available on that connector is the unregulated 9V from the AC adapter. There's a connector people have used for making svideo cables that fits perfectly on the back of the edge connector, someone might know the PN off the top of their head, otherwise I think I have it somewhere in a PM. Of course you're limited to the 240p issue that was mentioned earlier. Same as if you component mod a Saturn.

• Like 1

You should be able to make an entirely external component mod for the Jag off that port.

Was always curious about that kind of possibility when I saw RGB pins on the pinout.

I just use a DVD recorder to do the job and a Upscaler is hardwired in.

Have one of these sitting on my entertainment center for just this reason.

Edited by 032-Bias

I don't play my retro consoles on a LCD/LED so there's no need for a HDMI out or worry about lag.

I use a 27" RCA Tru Flat (non bubble) CRT. Even composite looks great on it. Supports up to 480i over component.

It isn't the $300 alone, it's that $300 gets me not as much value as folks using LCDs only IMO. Can the XRGB mini even output over component or only HDMI out? If so, my case I'd be going:

Jaguar euro scart > scart JP21 adapter > component out (if supported)

... seems like overkill in my scenario when my setup looks clean as is. Now if your only option is LCD & HDMI, I see the draw a bit more.

Edited by Jagosaurus

xrgb-mini output is HDMI only. It's made for use on LED/LCD TVs. Not everyone has a separate CRT dedicated just for gaming. Composite is garbage regardless of your CRT, s-video is worlds better.

Ah ok. Yeah, with HDMI only, now even less interested in the XRGB than before lol. I'll always have a CRT around. Been thinking of getting a backup as they get more scarces.

The Jag's composite looks nice on my CRT. Cleanest composite output of any older system outside of the Dreamcast IMO. Anything is better than the Jag's terrible RF. Still amazed Atari didn't include AV cables.

My TV has SVid as well, looks just fine. The jump to Svid is much more noticeable on a LCD.

So I'm close to having this mod complete... really close. However, I need a 5V DC pin internally from the Jaguar. If push comes to shove, I guess I could also wire a 7805 directly to the AC in jack... use the metal casing as a heatsink... but I'd like to avoid it if possible.

EDIT:

Nvm, probed some of the caps, C174 has a +5V positive pin.

Edited by SwampFox56
  • Like 1

I get wanting to mod the older systems that don't output RGB, but why are people against the xrgb? Honest question. Is it the price? You can get RGB cables for the Master System, Genesis 1/2/32X/CDX, Saturn, SNES, PS1/2, Jaguar and Neo-Geo that require absolutely no mod work. PC-E can be modded pretty easily for RGB. How much would it cost for a component mod for each of those? That was the draw for me, the ease of use and not having to drill any new holes or have wires hanging out the back. And even with a component mod, you're still at the mercy of your TV's upscaler, so it that's garbage, you will see noticeable input lag. Edit: Unless it's a CRT of course.

I want one, don't get me wrong...I simply cannot justify paying $300 for it. I don't have any console mods either for the exact same reason. I have friends who have paid good money for modifications to their NES, SNES, Genesis and so on and while it does look nice I just don't see the dollar value in it. I'm not trying to judge people who pay for mods or have purchased a XRGB, it just isn't for me at that price point. Perhaps someday I'll see the light.

I want one, don't get me wrong...I simply cannot justify paying $300 for it. I don't have any console mods either for the exact same reason. I have friends who have paid good money for modifications to their NES, SNES, Genesis and so on and while it does look nice I just don't see the dollar value in it. I'm not trying to judge people who pay for mods or have purchased a XRGB, it just isn't for me at that price point. Perhaps someday I'll see the light.

I feel your sentiment. I only think about modding my Genesis model 1 for s-video (ease of access to my tv) and my NES-101 for trrs composite (gets rid of the jail bars with out drilling holes), everything else will stay original.

To answer madman's question about price keeping people from the xrgb, my answer is yes and no. I have a hard time sinking over $100, much less $300 on any single piece of hardware. I still can appreciate it though as it lets these older consoles play nice with the modern tvs, but I still have the means and space to use the original displays and relatives (HDCRT and CRT) for gaming needs. One day I will probably buy a xrgb as many of us will when the last CRTs finally die or we don't have the room to have extra tvs for gaming, but not today.