IGNORED

Commission for a Jaguar Cartridge

doctorclu

Very exciting. I suggested this a while back but was nearly burned at the stake. It's good to see that Atari's newest system is finally catching up with some of the oldest regarding reproductions and ease of home-brew production. Compensate whoever needs to be compensated, I just want some of these fantastic games on something other than a CD-R!!

Cool. We have those willing to make the cartridges. Just got to ask the developers nicely if they don't mind. So check the above to see if the developers have chimed in (Like they did with Duckie Egg, Reboot titles, and CJ's ST ports), if you don't see them up there, contact the developer or development team and get their ok.

• Like 1

Al, as there may be many of these titles is there a way to keep them on the side of cheap like us putting the sticky labels on ourselves rather than you spending valuable time on it?

If I am printing labels for the carts, the time to apply the label to the cart is trivial relative to everything else. Or do you mean printing your own labels and apply them to the carts? Personally I would prefer the carts to have a reasonably high-quality label. Ideally I would work with authors to make batches of their games available via the store (which makes things easier for me to keep track of), where they are being compensated in some fashion for their work.

What do you feel is a fair price for a labeled cart (no box, no manual)?

..Al

• Like 2

Hi Al, I meant the former but really if there's any sort of cash saving ideas at all... I guess the price depends on how many titles would be made available ; both willingness to buy many titles at a collective reasonable price plus whether you can source materials in bulk and get a discount therefore. Gaztee's latest orion release was around £50; I wouldn't want to be paying that much for each release. But that did have box/manual.

If I am printing labels for the carts, the time to apply the label to the cart is trivial relative to everything else. Or do you mean printing your own labels and apply them to the carts? Personally I would prefer the carts to have a reasonably high-quality label. Ideally I would work with authors to make batches of their games available via the store (which makes things easier for me to keep track of), where they are being compensated in some fashion for their work.

What do you feel is a fair price for a labeled cart (no box, no manual)?

..Al

I like the idea of Jaguar games being available in the AtariAge store. That section has usually been relatively empty, so it would be nice to see some options for people interested.

• Like 8

If it's possible i'd really like to order a home for my skunkboard as well, with a nice label.

I feel like i'd use my skunk a lot more if I didn't have to fingerbang a delicate pcb into my jags slot.

Possible to start a list of what games are "orderable?" I can think of more than a few that deserve more than a CD-r...

Edited by travistouchdown

I am still very new to this forum, but I lurk here on a daily basis, just reading and learning. Just wondering if someone could explain how all of this works? I mean, the OP stated he wanted FREE games converted to a cart. I am a little confused why you would need permission from the author for labor that has zero to do with the ROM itself? I understand someone being shady and burning ROMS to sell for profit as their own and I would never condone that. But if you release a free game, why would you care if someone put it on a cart for personal use? And if you wanted to pay someone for the labor to do it, I would assume you have the right to do that. Anyway, I hope this post doesn't sound negative, as that is certainly NOT my intent. This world of home-brew is new to me so I don't know all of the ins and outs. Just trying to learn.

• Like 1

I've used a modified cartridge shell for the Skunkboard since practically day one.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/143008-the-i-got-my-skunkboard-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1735412

And even used a Battlesphere Gold shell to house one...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/143008-the-i-got-my-skunkboard-thread/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1736585

Well, that one was photoshopped, but that really stirred some people up for a few hours. :D

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

if you release a free game, why would you care if someone put it on a cart for personal use? And if you wanted to pay someone for the labor to do it, I would assume you have the right to do that.

Because people don't release their work for free so that others can make money off it. And the issue isn't really personal use, it's those who do it for profit.

• Like 6

...But if you release a free game, why would you care if someone put it on a cart for personal use?...

I agree where you are coming from. The idea above all is that no one gets any real profit out of the operation if the game itself was intended to be free. So you'd be looking at the cost of the cartridge board, eproms, and labor soldering all that together. Cart shells and labels are another nice touch.

The main dividing line I see is what do you do with the cart and how many are you making? One or two (one for you, a loaner for friends). That wouldn't be so bad. 20 games with the intent to sale? Obviously bad.

But then you have the developers. They intended the games to be run on a temporary media, like a CD or game loader. Carts, well, sometimes developers would like to make the option to make a cartridge run themselves, but that is always very limited and time consuming.

So in the end there are two points of view to keep in mind:

1) Consumers: It is just courtesy to ask. Some developers don't mind if you make carts for yourself, some do. Never know.

2) Developers: You will always have collectors. No matter how much someone might make a copy for themself if they really like the game they will buy the game when given the chance. Could I run Bubsy from a SKunkboard? Sure! Do I own like 12 copies of Bubsy over various platforms and languages? Yes. I also own every version of Joust and Star Raiders I could find through the Atari platforms. True collectors will want the real thing regardless.

• Like 1

And even used a Battlesphere Gold shell to house one...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/143008-the-i-got-my-skunkboard-thread/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1736585

Well, that one was photoshopped, but that really stirred some people up for a few hours. :D

Oh man, you are so bad. There were some worked up people in that thread... hahah...

What ST ports are 100% done, I saw a list at some point, anyone have a link, couldn't find it on reboot?

Also, what other games do you think are cart worthy?

I agree Tube Se and fallen angels.. I'd sure like Ducky Egg on cart :0 but looks like that's not going to happen.. Lol

Get Dr Typo's Tube S.E. (along with Marcus' great OST!) commissioned for a full cart release already; with box, manual and the lot!

Seriously. That would sell.

Hell, it should exist already!!

I will say, I think the front end (i.e. Title Screen) could use some refinement, just for presentation purposes, but if we got a cart unchanged from the Jag CD versions, I would NOT complain. Quite the opposite in fact...

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? I'm ready to order some Jag carts!!

-Gauntlet II

This one, especially. Team Tap night with NBA Jam, WMCJ, and Gauntlet! I'm guessing Gauntlet would be the centerpiece.

I saw you tested it with 4 controllers on another thread. Have you thrown a Gauntlet party yet?

• Like 1

Yes, as a Jaguar user it wasn't with actual people per say, but with my dollies lined up, one controller per dolls lap. It was epic good fun, and then we had a tea party!

LOL. Next time my wife and I take the train to Burlington, we'll volunteer to replace two of the dollies. Then perhaps we can get some off-the-wall liberal arts student from the college to fill up the final spot.

Then again, you'd have to be pretty loony to volunteer to play a port from an unorthodox 1980s computer which was a conversion from an arcade sequel on a long-forgotten 5th generation gaming console.

• Like 1

LOL. Next time my wife and I take the train to Burlington, we'll volunteer to replace two of the dollies.

Please do, if anyone is ever in my neck of the woods, PM me and we will do some Jag (and other retro gaming.) I am clean and come from a good home :) lol

I was kidding of course but I do have a few friends that are into vintage gaming and have done both Worms, NBA Jam, and Gauntlet four player on the Jag (of course its a shame the teamtap doesn't work with worms...but that was true up until the dreamcast era)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...