IGNORED

The Best NES Controller I've Ever Used

GoldenWheels

And I don't even know what it is called!

6094b76d-4278-4b76-9f2a-5b4b4d897dd5.jpg

7a9bc088-4545-40eb-8d08-13ea28d3625a.jpg

I picked this up on eBay maybe a year ago. It has a lot of positives.

When looking for an aftermarket controller I always look for turbo capability. For many older games turbos are requirement as far as I am concerned. I always want those turbos to have their own discrete buttons, so I can easily switch back and forth between shot styles (single vs. Turbo) without having to hit a switch. So on this controller, Y is the Turbo button for button B, and X is the Turbo button for button A.

This controller is also super comfortable, being of the SNES case style. Great D-pad as well (responsive).

But what I really like about this is what they did with the shoulder buttons.The Left shoulder button is A+B pressed simultaneously, and the Right shoulder button is Turbo A+B simultaneously when held down. This makes any game that required a double button push for certain moves IMMENSELY more playable. Being a big Double Dragon fan, that's the first example I always jump to, but I know there are other NES games which require A+B presses.

(Interestingly, when I opened this controller up to clean it--yes I do that with all used gear--there are detents on the inside, dead middle, for turbo switches, a la an ASCIIware SNES controller. And though you can't see it in the photo, there are spots on the front with a SLIGHTLY different finish in the shape of an oval, just like those little clicky switches. So this was obviously a repurposed/generic case, though I do not think it is a hobby project. This case is also slightly wider than a normal SNES controller casing.)

So long story short, if you see this controller and need one, get it! If anyone else already owns or knows of this controller, I'd like to know more about it's origins.

And as a fan/collector of aftermarket NES controllers, I'd be like to hear about others favorite NES controllers (whether they meet MY needs or not!)

• Like 4

Those shoulder buttons are nice! I haven't seen that controller myself, but anything that gives you A+B together is worthy in my book.

It's been talked about to death, but I'm still a big fan of the NES Advantage. Turbo buttons with adjustable repeat rates and a slow-motion button are nice features, but for someone like me who likes to take screencaps and record gameplay, but doesn't always have someone else around to play games with, the two-player support and the ability to switch quickly between players are especially big benefits.

(Interestingly, when I opened this controller up to clean it--yes I do that with all used gear--there are detents on the inside, dead middle, for turbo switches, a la an ASCIIware SNES controller. And though you can't see it in the photo, there are spots on the front with a SLIGHTLY different finish in the shape of an oval, just like those little clicky switches. So this was obviously a repurposed/generic case, though I do not think it is a hobby project. This case is also slightly wider than a normal SNES controller casing.)

It could indeed be a repurpose of something originally designed to be a third-party SNES controller. Such repurposings are quite common. I have a pair of USB game controllers for the PC that were very obviously built on the same factory line as PlayStation 2 controllers.

I love the SNES controller it is comfortable and fits perfect in my hands as they are huge. I like to pick one of these up. I actually think the 1993 dogbone is even more comfortable than the original controllers. Agree with the NES advantage being an awesome controller. I love it for games like Contra, Mega Man, Super C, Heavy Barrell, and Commando. I have never used the NES Max controller as the analog like d pad looks and seems to feel awkward.

• Like 1

Yeah, the NES controllers are all kind of flawed. I'm always looking for a good alternative. How did you search for this? What terms did you use? Was this for sale in the USA?

I am constantly trolling ebay for "Turbo NES controller" or "Turbo Nintendo controller". This turned up in one of those, the only time I have seen one like it. Sometimes I just do "turbo controller" when I am bored....it's a lot to sift through but more than once I've seen controllers miscategorized by platform and gotten a deal because of it.

So far as where it came from, I went back through my eBay listings and found about the time I really started picking up NES controllers (Got a Performance Pro, a Beeshu Zipper, a Froggo one, etc, this bug kind of hit me all at once) but can't find this item at that time period--only a few blank records with no photo/details any more.But all of these blank records say they were US sellers, not Canadian or international.

• Like 1

Those shoulder buttons are nice! I haven't seen that controller myself, but anything that gives you A+B together is worthy in my book.

It's been talked about to death, but I'm still a big fan of the NES Advantage. Turbo buttons with adjustable repeat rates and a slow-motion button are nice features, but for someone like me who likes to take screencaps and record gameplay, but doesn't always have someone else around to play games with, the two-player support and the ability to switch quickly between players are especially big benefits.

It could indeed be a repurpose of something originally designed to be a third-party SNES controller. Such repurposings are quite common. I have a pair of USB game controllers for the PC that were very obviously built on the same factory line as PlayStation 2 controllers.

I like the Advantage myself. Oddly, I never had problems with the buttons until I read about some people saying their A or B buttons got stuck underneath the casing now and then. Well I must have digested that info subconsciously as I then also ran into that problem a bit. Love the knobs for the speed adjustment on the turbos--I'm sure we've all run into game where a set turbo just doesn't work with the game as it is too fast/slow.

So far as the repurposing, I BELIEVE I have also seen this casing as a SNES controller, sans any turbos, but WITH a slo-mo button on the bottom, in the same style as start/select.

I love the SNES controller it is comfortable and fits perfect in my hands as they are huge. I like to pick one of these up. I actually think the 1993 dogbone is even more comfortable than the original controllers. Agree with the NES advantage being an awesome controller. I love it for games like Contra, Mega Man, Super C, Heavy Barrell, and Commando. I have never used the NES Max controller as the analog like d pad looks and seems to feel awkward.

It's awful. Once I read you could just use the outer ring and not the disc, I thought, huh, that's neat. Then I saw people replacing the cyclotron (believe that is what that red dot is called) with a PS2 analog stick, slightly sanded down. I again thought, huh, that's neat. How could I do something like that, but different?

Well Sega Genesis D-pads, with their guide tabs cut off, are the EXACT same diameter as the control ring on a NES MAX. So I glued one on. Looks cool as hell.

Controller still sucks! :woozy:

Nice find!

I do'n tthink the NES pads are flawed. But yeah, once you've been through other and better pads they feel a little awkward.

For the additional holes in it, it's certainlt that whoever made this pad also probably made SNES pads. If you aren't aware, the colors buttons are the same color than SuFami and Snin pads :

Manette-Super-NES.jpg

A perfect match and scale enonomy for manufacturing them.

It's likely that additional holes would be to add turbo functions on A and B buttons, or all, who knows.

The hole at the back suggest that some models might have been wireless. Probably infrared ones.

Edited by CatPix

• 3 months later...

I got this cheap USB SNES knockoff and it feels great with emulators. It's too hard to go back to the boxy old NES style nowadays.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Classic-USB-Gamepad-PC/dp/B002B9XB0E

For whatever it's worth, I'd like to put in a good word for this controller, too. I bought one because I was looking for a simple USB controller for use with emulators (no thumb sticks, no rumble, etc.), and I was pleasantly impressed by its quality. It's not too lightweight, the D-pad has a good feel, and the buttons don't feel clicky and "plasticky" like many controllers in this price range. I'll be picking up a few more as spares and for use with four-player games.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've had a question about NES controllers, and this seems to be as good a place as any to ask it. I recently "inherited" an NES system from some relatives, finally filling a long-standing gap in my collection, and I'm looking for some controllers. I'm debating whether I should go with a third-party aftermarket controller, or spend the extra money on a set of Nintendo originals. (I'm much more of an Atari guy, so the NES controller market isn't as familiar to me.)

I like the look of Nintendo's later "dog bone" controller design, but I'd also be fine with a set of rectangle controllers. I've seen lots of aftermarket controllers from Tomee in both form factors that are fairly inexpensive, but I wanted to get some feedback from other players first. How do these controllers feel? Are they in the "inexpensive but surprisingly good" category like the USB controller mentioned earlier, or are they cheap and nasty? If so, are there better options I should consider? Thanks in advance!

For whatever it's worth, I'd like to put in a good word for this controller, too. I bought one because I was looking for a simple USB controller for use with emulators (no thumb sticks, no rumble, etc.), and I was pleasantly impressed by its quality. It's not too lightweight, the D-pad has a good feel, and the buttons don't feel clicky and "plasticky" like many controllers in this price range. I'll be picking up a few more as spares and for use with four-player games.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've had a question about NES controllers, and this seems to be as good a place as any to ask it. I recently "inherited" an NES system from some relatives, finally filling a long-standing gap in my collection, and I'm looking for some controllers. I'm debating whether I should go with a third-party aftermarket controller, or spend the extra money on a set of Nintendo originals. (I'm much more of an Atari guy, so the NES controller market isn't as familiar to me.)

I like the look of Nintendo's later "dog bone" controller design, but I'd also be fine with a set of square controllers. I've seen lots of aftermarket controllers from Tomee in both form factors that are fairly inexpensive, but I wanted to get some feedback from other players first. How do these controllers feel? Are they in the "inexpensive but surprisingly good" category like the USB controller mentioned earlier, or are they cheap and nasty? If so, are there better options I should consider? Thanks in advance!

I would go for the original Nintendo branded controllers. The square ones are great, but the dogbone ones are even better. They rest comfortably in your hands and I really enjoy them during long gaming sessions like Zelda, Adventure of Link, Simon's Quest. I bought some third party controllers a few months back as I wanted some spare controllers on the cheap that I could use. But I did not like them at all. The D pad is really flimsy and cheaply made, especially playing Super Mario Bros. It makes it a chore to do a slide and duck move. The A and B buttons work great though however. The original ones are the way to go and are better quality. If you like arcade style gaming with turbo fire. The NES Advantage joystick is a must own!!

• Like 2

I've used a handful of NES controllers and there is something "wrong" with all of them. Of all the ones I've tried, the original rectangles are the best. My biggest gripe with those is that the D-Pad takes too much pressure and most of my gaming sessions are cut short because of "numb thumb."

The Tommee pads are cheap and they feel cheap. I found myself pressing accidental directions with them. Maybe a simple mechanical mod could help that.

I've also used the NES Max and Advantage along with the Turbo Touch 360. Max was covered above. Turbo Touch is pretty neat, and I like it for platformers, but it had a hard time with Tecmo Bowl because you leave your thumb actually pressed against the directions in that one and then change only slightly to a diagonal. My guys would not switch directions as expected. Hard to explain, but just note it won't work for every game (helps with numb thumb though).

Use the Advantage for shmups and other arcade games. It's flaws are pretty minor.

• Like 1

Usuall 3rd party controllers aim to offer a different design, offer more options (turbo buttons) or just a cheaper alternative to the originals.

Almost consistently, the 3rd party controllers aims for being cheaper... and this usually mean also reducing the quality.

The new design is usually eye-candy but was rarely designed to be sturdy and comfortable, only to LOOK sturdy and comfortable.

There are some exceptions, like the Hori controllers for Nintendo, but I'm not sure Hori controllers were sold in the NES and SNES era outside of Japan.

horipad.jpg

• Like 1

I prefer the stock controller. I bought a NOS one on eBay a few months back and it's super snappy. There's no other controller on the system that will give you that same tactile response that an original pad does.

I have one of these and it's decent. Still has that rectangular shape, but the edges are slightly more curved and it has turbo functionality: http://www.8bitnes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/-2343681212303633651.jpg

Dogbones are neat, but I have never cared for the button orientation. It's odd when you're playing games that need lightning-fast back and forth pressing of both buttons (Ninja Gaiden, for example). Probably won't matter as much for casual play, and the rounded edges will probably be more comfortable to most. They are a little more expensive though.

I like those Beeshu Zippers Austin (the D-pads seem a bit higher, which I like, and multi speed turbos are always nice) but those damn case ridges around the sides always bothered my hands.

I have one of these, it's my second fav I'd say:

-16132309342989040.jpg?w=400

Everything is just a little bit bigger, it really is a BIG controller....dpad, buttons, casing itself. But it feels and controls very nicely.

• Like 1