IGNORED

A8 Donkey Kong Jr. Arcade HACK

darryl1970

I personally appreciate the original the most. In part, I think it is because I was going for arcade likeness.

I NEVER saw the floors as girders, so making them girders seems weird to me. To me, they were supposed to be just floors in the jungle, since vines don't grow off of girders.

However, a few people thought they were "ugly girders", so I decided to make them girders.

Personally, I think it alters the imagination of the game. They are supposed to just be floors of sorts.

It was fun creating the alternate "girders" though. :) Glad people like them.

I'll be honest, I never noticed them until all the posts where you were playing with the colors and boundaries. Then I looked at them and thought "man those are kind of ugly, I wonder what they look like in the arcade version?". Lo and behold, they're just as ugly in the arcade, I just never noticed. The original version doesn't bother me, but I think your third version looks better. Makes me think of an early NES game for some reason.

I'll be honest, I never noticed them until all the posts where you were playing with the colors and boundaries. Then I looked at them and thought "man those are kind of ugly, I wonder what they look like in the arcade version?". Lo and behold, they're just as ugly in the arcade, I just never noticed. The original version doesn't bother me, but I think your third version looks better. Makes me think of an early NES game for some reason.

That's what I LOVED about it, because the NES had the graphics spot on.

To keep the imagination REAL, I took some inspiration from the C-64 remake

If not the ARCADE, this would be my preference over girders.

post-13491-0-35797900-1450452088_thumb.png post-13491-0-74359700-1450452525_thumb.png

DkJr_V13(Log).xex

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 6

Tempest, on 18 Dec 2015 - 2:29 PM, said:

Can someone turn this into a .CAR file so I can try it with The!Cart?

Do you have Maxflash Cartridge Studio? If so the following steps will create a .CAR file:

(1) File -> New

(2) Right click on slot 1 -> Load EXE from File(s) ... and select the .XEX file

(3) File -> Export -> Export Collection to CAR Cartridge Image -> Maxflash 1mbit Flash Cartridge

Do you have Maxflash Cartridge Studio? If so the following steps will create a .CAR file:

(1) File -> New

(3) File -> Export -> Export Collection to CAR Cartridge Image -> Maxflash 1mbit Flash Cartridge

Ok, I'll try doing that. Thanks.

(1) File -> New

This isn't working. When I select File > New I get a new workbook file with nothing in it and there's nothing to right click on. I don't see that Load EXE from Files option.

Tempest, on 19 Dec 2015 - 12:12 AM, said:

This isn't working. When I select File > New I get a new workbook file with nothing in it and there's nothing to right click on. I don't see that Load EXE from Files option.

The empty workbook is correct. The text area to the right of slot 001 should be orange, indicating the currently selected slot. If you right click on the orange area it will bring up the menu.

post-16447-0-44938200-1450519984_thumb.png

I like the DkJr_V13(Log) platforms, not so keen on DkJr_V13(AltLog) though, looks more fussy IMHO and less like the arcade...

sTeVE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but I kind of envision a pure arcade version and a 2015 update, completely separate or select-able. The latter may be too involved.

To me, the logs already go far from the arcade, as do replacing the floors with girders; however, I REALLY like the logs. I do know what you mean about busy, especially on the Spring screen.

I like how they prettied up the C-64 remake, but I guess I have to face that my color palette is limited. It's probably a matter of finding balance. I didn't even share my FIRST version.

It was beautiful on the Vines level, but the Spring was horrible. This is tame compared to that one. (I had the white in the middle, to accent the cylindrical shape of the bases)

Still going to play around a little. Playsoft has come up with an alternate set, so I can make the 1st screen fancier and back off on the spring screen.

• Like 2

Some nice variations - how about just do the game with all of them, then vary the graphics depending on which cycle of levels you're on.

I would like to be able to include all varieties in the game. I think I would prefer the entire game played in the style selected (Arcade, Girder, Enhanced)

However, that can get complicated without decompiling the game.

I agree, but I kind of envision a pure arcade version and a 2015 update, completely separate or select-able. The latter may be too involved.

To me, the logs already go far from the arcade, as do replacing the floors with girders; however, I REALLY like the logs. I do know what you mean about busy, especially on the Spring screen.

I like how they prettied up the C-64 remake, but I guess I have to face that my color palette is limited. It's probably a matter of finding balance. I didn't even share my FIRST version.

It was beautiful on the Vines level, but the Spring was horrible. This is tame compared to that one. (I had the white in the middle, to accent the cylindrical shape of the bases)

Still going to play around a little. Playsoft has come up with an alternate set, so I can make the 1st screen fancier and back off on the spring screen.

I took some time to play around this morning. Unfortunately, I have a busy day.. :(

However, I see that less = more on the Spring screen. I like this, because Junior still has an eye, and it gives it some texture!

(Note: I haven't gotten around to playing with the ground by Junior's nose, just the main area.)

post-13491-0-78068600-1450539929_thumb.png

Great work, love the water.

Probably impossible, but I always hated the single-line moving platforms on the second screen. On the arcade they are the same as the steady plafforms......any slight chance on something like that ?

Those lines look so 2600......;)

• Like 1

Great work, love the water.

Probably impossible, but I always hated the single-line moving platforms on the second screen. On the arcade they are the same as the steady plafforms......any slight chance on something like that ?

Those lines look so 2600...... ;)

I think it's a player, so I doubt it. It would look nice. I agree! My computer crashed, my phone bricked (not rooted even), and I got side tracked. I am hoping to get back to work on this soon.

Version 18 (14-17 various non-releases)

Here are two separate versions. I think it would be great to make these selectable from a menu, but I do not know how practical.

Main changes are in the Vines and Spring screen.

Added chains to the spring screen. (White is TOO BRIGHT, and yellow becomes green mid-vine; thus red is the color)

Arcade Vines Enhanced Vines

post-13491-0-40536200-1450806568_thumb.png post-13491-0-68018900-1450806629_thumb.png

Arcade Spring Enhanced Springs

post-13491-0-69315700-1450806600_thumb.png post-13491-0-95595400-1450806637_thumb.png

DkJr_V18(Arcade).xex

DkJr_V18(Enhanced).xex

• Like 2