IGNORED

JOY2SD interface

tdididit

I am working now with SDcard interface. Not much code left to do but I have some questions to ProSystem users

- Did short filenames 8+3 will be enough to make device usable?

- Did 1638,4 bytes per second is fast enough ? 16kB game image load in 10sec.

Thanks in advance for answers ;)

here is video from Centipede image upload test

https://www.facebook.com/sebastian.kotek/videos/10208456794283096/?pnref=story

Edited by tdididit
  • Like 1

Is this an SD device for some other platform modded to work on the 7800? I'm not finding jack on it via Google.

Interface should work on any platform with DB9 joystick port.

It works in pair with my moded RAMONA DEVCART.

Here are early 3D visualizations of Arduino Shield and RAMONA CART

post-41292-0-80448000-1450061813_thumb.png post-41292-0-81342600-1450061815_thumb.png

Present prototypes looks bit different (shield got DS1307 RTC on board for an example :P )

Count me in for one of these if/when it becomes available.

Nice work!

As I wrote before, firmware should be ready next week. Cart BIOS is almost done :D

Interface will be availiable as a Arduino shield and device with microcontroller.

Here are pictures of working prototypes

post-41292-0-91474900-1450064138_thumb.jpg post-41292-0-22020000-1450064154_thumb.jpg

Edited by tdididit
  • Like 2

Small UPDATE

I have modified memory manager part of cartridge.

It use Atari SuperGame Hostspot:

bit 7 - BIOS Eneble

bit 6 - reserved for extension boards (dualPokey, dualSid, VIA2SD)

bit 5-3 - RAM_LO bank ($4000-$7FFF)

bit 2-0 - RAM_HI bank ($8000-$BFFF)

Highest RAM_LO bank mapped in handler region ($1000-$17FF as RAM / $3000-$3FFF as ROM)

( Note: I am not calling it HSC region because I want to use it to load and store for an example tiny DOS, memory monitor or disassembler )

after upload 4kB HSC ROM game detect it and saving scores

Highest RAM_HI bank mapped at $C000-$FFFF as ROM

Memory with CR2032 battery backup

BIOS contain: JOY2SD image loader, handler loader, memory monitor, RTC settings, self test

I loaded with success 7816, 7832, 7848, 78SG, 78S9 images

I am still fighting with my beloved Tower Toppler what is 78S4 and not start properly :/

post-41292-0-84406000-1450367489_thumb.png

post-41292-0-97078600-1450367504_thumb.png

Edited by tdididit
  • Like 2

Me too!

Can anyone clarify for "a slow learner" what this does?

It looks like a SD cart, if so...me want!!!!

It is SDcard drive & PS2/USB keyboard interface plugged to second JOY port.

Second part of set is moddified devcart,

I am sure that there will be possibility to use it with CPUWIZ devkit, if he put communication routines into his devkit cart ROM

You will be able to upload A78 images to play games but it is not all :)

In new applications you will be able to load&save files, create directories or remove no needed files from card.

I always preffered to draw fonts, draw pictures, compose music on real hardware :)

With 101-keys keyboard it will become real ;)

Created files and directories will get actual timestamps thanks to DS1307 Real Time Clock included on drive board

In applications you will be able to use RTC time too.

Maybe, but it is all your fault :D

I started this project when I lost hope to buy your kit.

I realy want to finish my port of Robbo and few other 7800 games I started :)

LOL, I still have an unsold POKEY devkit sitting around, are you sure you asked me for one?

Either way, cool project.

Cool project indeed.

If I recall correctly, RAMONA was a portable version of DevOS. DevOS allows programs to be uploaded from an old PC parallel port to a RAM cart through the 7800 second player joystick port. Rather than replacing the 7800 bios on the 7800 motherboard as done for a DevOS mod, RAMONA placed the communication program on the cartridge alowing it to work on unmodified 7800s.

Using SD to upload instead of PC is very cool.

Still trying to figure out what use a keyboard would be unless you sell me one with a printer interface. Then I will write you a nice thank you note.

Edited by SIO2

If I recall correctly, RAMONA was a portable version of DevOS. DevOS allows programs to be uploaded from an old PC parallel port to a RAM cart through the 7800 second player joystick port. Rather than replacing the 7800 bios on the 7800 motherboard as done for a DevOS mod, RAMONA placed the communication program on the cartridge alowing it to work on unmodified 7800s.

Using SD to upload instead of PC is very cool.

Still trying to figure out what use a keyboard would be unless you sell me one with a printer interface. Then I will write you a nice thank you note.

You are right. RAMcart ROM contain communication program and file picker.

PS2 keyboard is a addon feature, you can still use joystick in menu if you like to upload and play games only :)

There is no LPT connection, only Arduino with shield (everybody got one dusty Arduino in drawer). This Arduino replacing old PC and its hard drive :)

Thing what makes it different is that JOY2SD acting more like disk drive (you can load, save and remove files, read, create and remove directories on card).

Atari is sending commands to JOY2SD device, not only waits what "old PC" will want to do, like it was with LPT cable ;)

Only common between LPT and JOY2SD is that both using 3 bit frame communication method.

Edited by tdididit