splendidnut

Chaotic Grill (BurgerTime remake) in progress

16 hours ago, splendidnut said:

Soon maybe... :)

I basically took an unannounced break from it.  And then ended up working on other projects...

The game is currently stuck in the "almost complete" state.  It really just needs a few things (better title screen, menu, etc.).   There's also some under-the-covers work that I want to get done (tweaks here and there).  I do have a new title screen in progress that I've worked on occasionally.

Finishing this project has been in the back of mind a lot recently.  Being as a few other people have also made references/proddings to this project recently... It might be time to try to finish it up.  :)

I wish you'd just finish up the gameplay and work on the title screen later so that I can enjoy the game right now! I mean, it's atari, who needs title screens lol

25 minutes ago, Marcos Moutta said:

I wish you'd just finish up the gameplay and work on the title screen later so that I can enjoy the game right now! I mean, it's atari, who needs title screens lol

Gameplay is pretty much finished... according to how the arcade works.  The only big difference with my game is the bonus item is on a timer instead of being based on burger building progress.  I have some ideas for adding my own little twists which I'll allow to be turned on/off and adding some more level layouts.  That's part of the drive behind implementing a menu system.  While there already is a title screen implemented, NostAlgae37 provided some extra graphics which I'm incorporating into a new title screen.

You can enjoy the game right now using Stella... The download links for the latest work-in-progress release are in the first post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Marcos Moutta said:

SMILING SAUSAGE????

Untitled.png

Yeah, he does that in the arcade version, too (check out a sprite sheet sometime if you don't believe me).  I consider it a sinister grin.  :evil:

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

After getting completely addicted and playing more than I should, I'm back to report some stuff.

Bugs(?) I found:

Sometimes the flicker got so heavy the chef disappeared for a good three quarters of a second

Sometimes I was able to send the burgers down with monsters on top by touching the monsters instead of trapping them

Things I like

The graphics and music

The speed of the game (my god is it better than the mattel port) (wait was it mattel or coleco IDK)

The fun factor (which is higher than River Raid tbh)

Things I don't like

Too easy

The pepper on a timer

This is like, incredible stuff man. Please finish! (can't guarantee I'll get the cart but I will ask santa for one that's for sure)

Like for real thanks for this. Just a few tweaks and this will be one of my top 10 atari games.

Also, a question: does this use the enhancing chip that the champ games uses? Because mappy has like a quadrillion characters on the screen and this is limited to 4 monsters I think.

Edited by Marcos Moutta
I don't remember who made the original game :P
  • Like 1

I do believe Mattel did the original cart for the 2600 and this game uses DPC+ bank switching so it would use a melody board on a real cart, correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes, Mattel did do the original 2600 port.

Yes, this uses DPC+ bankswitching, so does require the Harmony/Melody hardware.  However, unlike other DPC+ games, this one DOES NOT use any custom ARM code, only the DPC+ driver.  So, it could easily run on other hardware if that hardware provides a DPC+ driver.

By avoiding custom ARM code, I'm also somewhat limited in what can be accomplished.  That's why the number of enemies is currently limited (both a memory constraint and a timing constraint).

1 minute ago, splendidnut said:

By avoiding custom ARM code, I'm also somewhat limited in what can be accomplished.  That's why the number of enemies is currently limited (both a memory constraint and a timing constraint).

Just curious why you're avoiding using custom ARM code since the game already requires the use of a Melody board/Harmony cart?

..Al

I've avoiding ARM programming, partially because I just wanted to program in 6502 assembly language.  I also wanted to explore within the constraints of the theoretical DPC+ bankswitching scheme.  This project originally started without any inkling of what bankswitching scheme it was going to use.  Then I moved to playing around with DPC, and almost ending up sticking with that.  But at some point, mainly when trying to figure out how to do the burgers, I was attracted to the "Fast Fetch' feature of DPC+.  I never moved into the ARM programming aspect as (A) the documented toolchain required the setup and use of Linux and (B) I didn't really see any project using DPC+ as originally thought up.  It seemed that once the idea of being able to call custom ARM code was realized, that became the defacto way of using DPC+.  So really, I'm trying to explore some weird kind of middle ground of unexplored territory :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, splendidnut said:

I've avoiding ARM programming, partially because I just wanted to program in 6502 assembly language.  I also wanted to explore within the constraints of the theoretical DPC+ bankswitching scheme.  This project originally started without any inkling of what bankswitching scheme it was going to use.  Then I moved to playing around with DPC, and almost ending up sticking with that.  But at some point, mainly when trying to figure out how to do the burgers, I was attracted to the "Fast Fetch' feature of DPC+.  I never moved into the ARM programming aspect as (A) the documented toolchain required the setup and use of Linux and (B) I didn't really see any project using DPC+ as originally thought up.  It seemed that once the idea of being able to call custom ARM code was realized, that became the defacto way of using DPC+.  So really, I'm trying to explore some weird kind of middle ground of unexplored territory :)

Didn't uncle ben teach you anything? With great power comes great responsability. You're basically an ASM wizard at this point, just get around that fancy arm processor already and let me kill 6 sausages at once. >:-B

(also this is a joke by the way)

Just got around to playing this, nice work! This is awesome and it makes me hate the original version more than I did as a kid..    I get all excited when I hear someone contemplating using the DPC+   It doesn't get used enough.