IGNORED

RAPIDUS ACCELERATOR

lotharek

In general, you have to drop into 6502 mode if the s/w is using illegal op-codes, or linear memory is enabled and the code wraps memory ($FFFF->$0000) with an indexed instruction. By 6502 mode, I mean back to a real 6502, not the 6502 emulator mode of the 65816. Neither of these are accelerator issues - they fail at any speed.

I'm just guessing here, but my experience with accelerated systems is that you won't see much/any improvement when:

- you are running from a slow device like a cart or OSROM

- the s/w is synced to the VBI

Bob

Hi Bob ;-)

So I take it this is very similar to your XL14. As such, what off-the-shelf software sees a big speed-up? For instance if I wrote a Basic program and didn't have any timing tied to the VB, would this be much faster? Or would it take a Basic written to specifically take advantage of the 65816 and linear memory?

Or am I just plain stupid when it comes to figuring out what this thing will exactly do for someone :dunce: :? Please anyone out there feel free to post a link to a full description :-D

- Michael

Which makes sense, non-tv synced speedups would render a lot of games unplayable, a-la the old 'turbo mode' issue back in early dos days.

I bet there is a selection of well-written software in which you'd see speedups, stuff like The Last Word, assemblers/compilers, BASICS, other utilities, and games. DOS itself might speed up for all I know. Giant RAMDisks also come to mind.

But really the point of this hardware is expansion, not enhancement, at least for me.

I bet there is a selection of well-written software in which you'd see speedups, stuff like The Last Word, assemblers/compilers, BASICS, other utilities, and games. DOS itself might speed up for all I know. Giant RAMDisks also come to mind.

Just tested TLW in Altirra at 21MHz with ROM/cart shadowing turned off and 80 column screen redraws (using the Antic driver) are massively improved. Contrast this with the WIP Graphical OS which runs from ROM: although the low-level redraw code is in RAM, all the higher-level stuff is in ROM so the speed improvements at 21MHz aren't great. Turn on cart shadowing in fast RAM, however, and and the thing is so massively accelerated that CPU usage drops to 0% in the profiler, causing corruption in the scrolling graph (which wasn't designed to handle 0 per cent!). :)

• Like 2

Rapidus and XL14 both run 65816s at higher clock speeds. Other than that, I can't say how similar they might be.

You do not have to write any special code in order to take advantage of the higher speeds. You don't have to use linear memory, either. I usually just push the OS into RAM. In BASIC. this runs the FP routines at 14mhz - speeds up any BASIC code.

Somewhere out there on YouTube is the GUI running at 7.16mhz. No special code there...

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Jon-

Do you believe that the Rapidus accelerator will help in the development of your GUI OS?

-Larry

If I had set out to write a 65C816-based OS with linear RAM, etc, life would have been much easier, but that wasn't the point of the exercise. So as things stand, the GOS will run a bit faster under Rapidus but not massively so without some way of shadowing ROM in fast RAM. 1.7MHz 6502C remains the target configuration on which the OS must run at acceptable speed. :)

• Like 4

If I had set out to write a 65C816-based OS with linear RAM, etc, life would have been much easier, but that wasn't the point of the exercise. So as things stand, the GOS will run a bit faster under Rapidus but not massively so without some way of shadowing ROM in fast RAM. 1.7MHz 6502C remains the target configuration on which the OS must run at acceptable speed. :)

Glad to hear that! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

In general, you have to drop into 6502 mode if the s/w is using illegal op-codes, or linear memory is enabled and the code wraps memory ($FFFF->$0000) with an indexed instruction.

On Rapidus only the former case (i.e. the illogical opcodes) will force you to go into 6502 mode (or delete the offending program). The segment wraps are - optionally - patched out in the hardware, so that you can still use 65C816 and the turbo mode, even if the program shows the problem.

As for OS ROM, Rapidus has own, flashable, accelerated OS ROM, which can be optionally enabled (or optionally disabled). There is some contents in it already, but since it is flash, you can flash anything into it. Switching it on alone already accelerates the Atari BASIC or anything that uses the system FP package, although not so greatly, because the ROM runs at 10 MHz. Of course if a BASIC interpreter runs in RAM (like TBXL or U-BASIC) it will be much faster.

Also, even if a program is running in a cartridge (i.e. slow ROM clocked at stock frequency of 1,77/1,79 MHz), one can still expect some speedup resulting from a) fast internal CPU operations, 2) fast RAM reads, 3) optionally fast RAM writes.

• Like 1

Installed and working fine:

Here is the place for Rapidus: post-7022-0-71138800-1458849232_thumb.jpg

6052 desoldered:post-7022-0-86453900-1458849241_thumb.jpg

Socket installed:post-7022-0-12934400-1458849250_thumb.jpg

6502 is back, checking if everything is ok: post-7022-0-65764400-1458849261_thumb.jpg

Rapidus is in place without the 3 wires soldered. Booting ok: post-7022-0-43850100-1458849271_thumb.jpg

From back:post-7022-0-74449300-1458849280_thumb.jpg

Everything is connected:post-7022-0-63327400-1458849289_thumb.jpg

Booting:post-7022-0-15259300-1458849301_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

And the setup screen (by pressing inverse and reset):attachicon.gif20160324_210057.jpg

It is really great to see it working in your computer. It's quite stressful situation to me, as a HW designer, releasing such project to Atari Community.

Maybe just one comment to the options in your settings menu. If you don't have the Ultimate 1MB extension installed in your machine. then set the "U1MB Expansion" to OFF, otherwise you can have some problems with running the system ROM from Rapidus.

All the necessary information will be included in the Rapidus User's Guide, but unfortunately it is still not finished yet.

• Like 2

All the necessary information will be included in the Rapidus User's Guide, but unfortunately it is still not finished yet.

At least there will be a user's guide! So many projects don't have one and the information has to be pieced together and figured out.

• Like 2

It is really great to see it working in your computer. It's quite stressful situation to me, as a HW designer, releasing such project to Atari Community.

Maybe just one comment to the options in your settings menu. If you don't have the Ultimate 1MB extension installed in your machine. then set the "U1MB Expansion" to OFF, otherwise you can have some problems with running the system ROM from Rapidus.

Pasiu, you guys are doing fantastic work.

Do we know that adaptus board is available or not?

Edited by danwinslow