IGNORED

Retro Freak firmware update

Newsdee

My point was, you'd have to assume that the audience interested in Atari 2600, Intellivision, and ColecoVision games would also be interested in the base model of the Retro Freak, which is not cheap, plus the cartridge adapter that this would entail, which again is not cheap, plus a controller adapter for those consoles (which is probably more important than the existing controller adapter simply because of the unique nature of the ColecoVision, and espeically, Intellivision, controllers), which again, wouldn't be cheap. That's many layers of abstraction and many layers of cost to get to the target audience.

Let's face it, this is a Japanese-centric console, which is why there's Famicom support built into the cartridge adapter, but not NES support (without a separate adapter that they don't even sell). Japanese companies don't care about pre-Crash US systems. In fact, I suspect we'd see support for platforms like the Epoch Cassette Vision and Super Cassette Vision long before we'd see them for even the Atari 2600.

I'd LOVE for a US company to take this on (and have debated suggesting the idea to AtGames, but it's not really in their wheelhouse as-is for a variety of reasons), but it would probably need to have a few modifications to be workable for a broader US market. I think until that happens, it would be unrealistic to expect support for US-centric systems.

• Like 1

I think so. Does nothing for me. I personally like the very crisp images HDMI brings to the screen without any filters.

Seem's I'm in the minority here, but I like filters and scan lines (though don't usually use extreme filters).

To me my memories of playing these games are from CRT's (including CRT monitors like Commodore 1841) which, though clear, never showed square pixels. Things were a little bit rounded and separated between scan lines. It's what I disliked when I first moved to PC's around the early 90's, games that looked really nice at 320x200 type resolutions on Amiga/Atari ST/console monitor/TVs looked wrong with square pixels on VGA monitors at the same resolution. Hence I feel better with some kind of filtering.

I agree the scanline implementation is not best on RetroFreak (probably due to only running at 720p), but it still usually (depending on game) looks more realistic to me.

The great thing about the RetroFreak is that its all configurable, so each of us can play how we like!

PS: I've never experienced overheating on mine and I play usually with filters and scan lines and leave it on all day sometimes.

I can't get on with any of the filters (yuck) but scanlines are a bit of a must for me (GB/A perhaps excepted). Never had any overheating issues, scanlines or not.

Anyone have a set of the English cheat files handy? :)

codes-fc.xml

codes-gb.xml

codes-gba.xml

codes-md.xml

codes-mk3.xml

codes-sfc.xml

Edited by LadyLilith
  • Like 4

Speaking of filters the options in MAME are insane. I wasted so much time trying to get the feel of running a CRT in various states of quality :) I need to find a good front end with presets...

There's no easy way to emulate a CRT on a flat panel. But you might try running a Raspberry Pi's composite output to a real tube TV for that "tube TV" feel... :grin:

OK. Help here anybody. I just installed game 1010! I got a message on the screen asking if I would like to install 8 bit pointer demo!!!??? Can't find it anywhere though. Anyone have this or do this yet? What does it do and where is it?

EDIT!

I deleted and reinstalled game 1010. It actually says "SFX 8 bit Cursor Movement is unlocked! Would you like to save your prize to the microSD card?"

I guess its just a sound effect. :( I was hoping to play Duck Hunt with a mouse or something.

Edited by gorfcadet

Guest LiqMat

OK. Help here anybody. I just installed game 1010! I got a message on the screen asking if I would like to install 8 bit pointer demo!!!??? Can't find it anywhere though. Anyone have this or do this yet? What does it do and where is it?

EDIT!

I deleted and reinstalled game 1010. It actually says "SFX 8 bit Cursor Movement is unlocked! Would you like to save your prize to the microSD card?"

I guess its just a sound effect. :( I was hoping to play Duck Hunt with a mouse or something.

Just curious if you had tried hooking up a USB mouse to the unit. :-) Probably turns the mouse cursor to a pixelated cursor in the GUI.

Edited by LiqMat

EDIT!

What is the filename? I suspect it will work for other systems.

These seems to be random unlocks; the one I've got was the selection chime which I realy disliked, I replaced it with a Coin SFX from Mario.

FIle is "\RetroFreak\SFX\decide.mp3"

Edited by Newsdee

Just curious if you had tried hooking up a USB mouse to the unit. :-) Probably turns the mouse cursor to a pixelated cursor in the GUI.

I did try a usb mouse. No luck. I was hoping for some way to play lightgun games. The system also does not recognize the power pad even throught the pack in adapter. Did the power pad go in port one or two on a NES. It didn't recognize it on the button mapper screen so I won't get my hopes up.

I did try a usb mouse. No luck. I was hoping for some way to play lightgun games. The system also does not recognize the power pad even throught the pack in adapter. Did the power pad go in port one or two on a NES. It didn't recognize it on the button mapper screen so I won't get my hopes up.

I have heard the Famicom Vaus works on the Retro Freak. I wonder if it only reads accessory controllers through the Famicom 15-pin?

Most games that read NES accessories only do so through the D3 and D4 pins of the player two controller port. Fun fact, the D3 and D4 accessory connections on the NES player one controller port are not accessible at all on a Famicom, but all 15 of the Famicom accessory pins can be tapped through the unused expansion port on the bottom of an NES.

• Like 1

I have heard the Famicom Vaus works on the Retro Freak. I wonder if it only reads accessory controllers through the Famicom 15-pin?

Yes, the Famicom Arkanoid controller works great. I did use it through the official controller adapter. It also works on the NES version of Arkanoid, but the calibration is a bit off.

Yes, the Famicom Arkanoid controller works great. I did use it through the official controller adapter. It also works on the NES version of Arkanoid, but the calibration is a bit off.

Does the controller adapter read the US Vaus through the NES port? What about SNES mouse? I am still in need of a controller adapter for my Retro Freak as I don't think any other existing USB adapter will let you use accessories on it. Also configuration hell setting up "other USB" for each system for each retro controller dongle you own. Primary reason I just stick to PS3 controllers or the standard one it comes with.

Does the controller adapter read the US Vaus through the NES port? What about SNES mouse? I am still in need of a controller adapter for my Retro Freak as I don't think any other existing USB adapter will let you use accessories on it. Also configuration hell setting up "other USB" for each system for each retro controller dongle you own. Primary reason I just stick to PS3 controllers or the standard one it comes with.

My US Arkanoid controller doesn't seem to work right on real hardware, so it doesn't work right on this. I haven't tried the SNES mouse yet.