IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Can we trust the Author, or its source?

" She's also written stuff for Anime Insider and Anime News Network, as well as a rather lengthy stint editing Pokémon things for The Pokémon Company. She still plays the games and seriously can't believe there are 721 Pokémon now."

Source: RetroVGS (Facebook)

Probably because 9/10's the comments are against the Atari SNES

https://twitter.com/KrisNaudus/status/700434911266787330

• Like 2

Still, I'd love to hear Mike claim that Spielberg has expressed interest in putting E.T. and Raiders on the CC.

Heh heh, no one wanted those games the first time around, when the movies were new and Atari was hot. Name-dropping Spielberg would fit right in with what we've seen so far.

I wonder how this will affect the COLECO brand. I guess it wasn't worth much to begin with, except as an ancient memory to a small set of people.

• Like 3

Back on topic: I've changed my mind. If Mike can guarantee Vectrex support, I'll buy it. He can get someone to write up a SNES core in mere months, so it shouldn't be a big deal, right? ;)

Hah! I've been trying to convince Kevin for a while now to include Vectrex in the Zimba3000. There's no 6809 core yet (AFAIK) and even if it existed it would be applied to things like the Williams arcade games first.

• Like 1

The greatest secret they're holding back now is the pack-in game... how they've kept that back so long is beyond me... unless like the prototype, there is no pack-in game. Would that be the ultimate icing on the cake... if the KS launched with "pack-in to be named at a later date?" I wouldn't put it past him, though part of me thinks not even Mike is that goofy. But, if it's not Intellivision, it's not Colecovision, it's not the Piko stuff... what else could it be? Collectorvision or a completely out of left field game would be the only option.

I could have sworn that within the last couple of days I'd read a reply from RVGS/MK that they hadn't decided on the pack-in yet. I either missed it today or it's been scrubbed.

• Like 1

I could have sworn that within the last couple of days I'd read a reply from RVGS/MK that they hadn't decided on the pack-in yet. I either missed it today or it's been scrubbed.

I would guess they're saving Tiny Knight as the big reveal. Maybe they'll try to compare that game with Mario or Sonic (or Alex Kidd or Bonk)

• Like 2

RetroGamingRoundup invited Riverwest to the show, but have heard nothing. We would give them a fair shake from our perspective if they would come on. news@retrogamingroundup.com

May be due to them just being the licensee, Chris Cardillo is handling the Coleco Brand for River West Brands. You should talk with him if anyone,but he his not very involved with the Chameleon project but more into trying to build the brand back up with other classic and new toy lines. I know Mike has tried several times to get in touch with you but has been ignored. I would think if you truly wanted to get to the bottom of everything the RGVS team should be on the show themselves since they are handling the project. I realize that probably would never happen as there is some very bad blood between RGRU and Mike which is unfortunate. The original RGRU was so great with the three of you, now I feel like a kid in a divorce :P

• Like 1

Dumb Question time;

Okay, so it looks like everyone's just going to be rehashing the same lack of news from now until the kickstarter, I thought it might be a good time to ask a dumb question. Maybe I am not the only one wondering about this…

At the risk of sounding trollish, I want to ask -

What's the big deal with FPGA? Why is it considered the "gold standard" for emulation?

If we had a gate level specification of, say, the SNES video chip, then I guess anyone could implement it with gate arrays, and we would be confident that the implementation would be accurate.

But, we don't have a gate level spec. The SNES video chip is a "black box" to us - all we have are the results of people's experiments ("when I write to this address, this happened)" and people's ideas about what is going on inside.

So. the FPGA programmer has to try and recreate the design based on this incomplete knowledge. I imagine the quality and accuracy of the result is more dependent on the experience and skill of the programmer than anything else. There is nothing magical about using a gate array that makes this redesigned chip automatically more accurate than a software emulation of that chip, is there?

It seems to me that software emulation is :
1. cheaper.
2. understood and supported by more people than gate array programming.
3. Easier to update.

Why should I want a FPGA?

Catsfolly

• Like 4

FPGA emulation is only really makes sense when emulated platform needs to work with actual, not emulated external devices, such as original cartridges. That's the only proper way for a emulated console to run games off cartridges, as the emulated HW would act exactly like the original one, down to all timings. Retron5 does it other way, it just dumps game, then runs it via software emulation. It works, but emulator needs to know about games it is able to run beforehand, to know how to dump them, so it is inconvinient if the game libary is not 'finalized'.

Software emulation is sure cheaper, and in case with CC it is the proper way, if it is not intended to run original cartidges (it really shouldn't unless it has all slots built-it).

• Like 4

I get the sense that making accurate FPGA cores is not easy. Or it's a different discipline from building software emulators. Is it possible to have a poorly implemented FPGA core?

Put another way, is it possible to have a good software emulator outperform a poor FPGA core in terms of accuracy and ability to play and enjoy a game?

To bring it back to the Chameleon discussion: we have seen most or all of the featured Colecovision and Intellivision games elsewhere, with varying degrees of success. We can't take it on faith that this try will be any better than the previous efforts, can we?

• Like 2

FPGA:

- No dropped frames

- No overhead of an operating system

- No framebuffer needed, lowest latency possible

- Not sure about this one, but Video and Audio clocks could be generated/divided by the same master-clock, so Audio and Video tight together compared to a PC.

I do think modern consoles with architecture that looks like the architecture of a PC (3d stuff) are less critical to emulate.

I just found something interesting (probably already mentioned here): http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/2712-why-perfect-hardware-snes-emulation-requires-a-3ghz-cpu/

Edited by roland p
  • Like 3

To bring it back to the Chameleon discussion: we have seen most or all of the featured Colecovision and Intellivision games elsewhere, with varying degrees of success. We can't take it on faith that this try will be any better than the previous efforts, can we?

I feel that the only ones who will get this "deal" is either the die-hard RVGS supporters who simply want to collect everything related to the Chameleon or those who doesn't know about the Flashbacks.

Both of these kinds of people are sure to be far between in my opinion. No serious retrogamer is gonna get a cart with 15 games and 2 controllers for 75$ with 3 more carts in the series for 20-30$ each.

We can guarantee that the Intellivision package will look the same. That means that anyone getting the first 15 games from both the CV and Inty compilation + 2 controllers for each will have to shell out an quite astounding 150$, and then there is still 6 carts to go for a complete set of both...

Choose that over the Flashbacks with 2 controllers that wwill set you back 60$ for both systems and 120 games total and you are a RVGS fanatic or a lunatic in my opinion.

• Like 2

Not sure this was posted yet but the Talk RETRO podcast is up, with former RETRO Magazine editor-in-chief Daniel Kayser as a guest. They cover the Coleco Chameleon at around the 53:25 minute mark. Daniel was at the show and claims that was not an SNES, but an actual prototype of the FPGA board in there.

http://readretro.com/features/talk-retro-24/

Edited by foxglove9
  • Like 4

Not sure this was posted yet but the Talk RETRO podcast is up, with former RETRO Magazine editor-in-chief Daniel Kayser as a guest. They cover the Coleco Chameleon at around the 53:25 minute mark. Daniel was at the show and claims that was not an SNES, but an actual prototype of the FPGA board in there.

Sounded like basically he was willing to sell out his rep to shill for the chameleon as well and didn't really answer or address any thing, just giving the same old tired canned responses.

yeah, he claims since he was there he knows what it was better than people that saw pictures. even though it was in a glass case so he couldn't see it.

he also said that it was just a proof of concept to show retailers and developers. so really there was no point of showing it at the toy fair since its going to kickstarter and they are not selling it retailers. there was no point of it being there other than to make some videos showing that they have a "prototype" that was shown in public. since he also said it was the only video game related thing there, cause i think that is not what the toy fair is really for, then no developers were going to be there either (besides Piko I guess who was already on board anyways).

Edited by mickcris
  • Like 1

Just in:

Kickstarter Reward #7 $250: INTELLIVISION LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game (yet to reveal) + Intellivision Collection #1 (15-Game Multicart) + Elektronite Intellivision Game Collection (6-Game Multicart) + TWO exclusive USB Intellivision style controllers and game collection controller overlays.

.... overlays ..... they've got to be reproing from the same vendor that did the AtGAmes one c'mon

Wait for the retro-lover all in one package south of 1000 US$ ;)

Speaking of which, for now this has been only about old games, aside Adv of Tiny Knight, not one "original" has been announced.

I would expect a few games running stock on the ARM SoC but who knows ... maybe not.

Edited by phoenixdownita

So this guy wants us to believe that someone made a custom board with an FPGA, but instead of have Composite out and some normal power Connection that you get on a Hardware store, they Chose to canibalize an SNES just to get the power in and AV out? How dumb do they expect People to be? And then go around accusing People of negativity? I wonder why there's negativity. It's infuriating. I have to write this guy's Name down, because I'll never believe anything he says ever again. If this guy ever says the sky is blue I'll go check just to make sure it didin't go yellow.

Or even worse. Someone bought a finished board, that already had Video out and power in, and canibalized an SNES to Change those ports? You know, just "because".

But having a working power Switch? No way. That's too complicated. Plugging an LED to a power source and connecting it to that power Switch? That is insane work man. It take years to do somehting like that. But a perfect FPGA SNES core, and crazy SNES parts canibalyzing? Yeah. Now THAT'S totally worth it.

How can People lie with a straight face like that. How on earth do they expect this to go well? I just don't get it.

Not to mention this guy didin't see anything we didin't see, since Mike said himself the prototype couldn't be opened.

As for the intellivision, Just get the damned flashback. Reviews on it are pretty good. It's cheap, seems to work well enough and has tons of games.

• Like 9

Wouldn't a lover of Intellivision just get the real thing (and more) today, instead of flushing $250 on this far-from-sure-thing?

That really seems to be the theme with all these rewards.

Other than having the HDMI out on the Shameleon, why bother with it for any of the games shown so far. Everything can be had and played for less on a system that is already out. I know not everyone has the space or desire to keep a CRT TV around to play games on, but the premium they are asking for what seems to be just having HDMI is just way to high. A cheap up-converter box could still be bought with the money you had left over. It wouldn't be pixel perfect so to say but how big of a deal is that for playing Intellivision or Colecovision games?

It just feels to me that the more rewards levels they offer, the more redundant the console seems.

Edited by TheClassyGamer